Team Sanchez

Blackspire Stinger info....BB Version

I posted this already in Fo Shizzle's "Early ride report thread", but in case some of you missed it:

I've been running the BB version of the Stinger on my 07 RFX for a week now(4 rides or so). Works exactly the same as the old ISCG version I had on my 05 Pack. Just remove all spacers(XT X-type Cranks and BB), and slap it between the shell and BB. No chainline issues or anything. Mounts easy, never drops a chain. Couldn't ask for more.

This option will work well for 5-spot and 07 RFX owners.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I posted this already in Fo Shizzle's "Early ride report thread", but in case some of you missed it...This option will work well for 5-spot and 07 RFX owners.
    I missed seeing this in Fo's thread. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

mtbr member
    Is there anything to keep it from rotating, or just the clamping force from tightening down the BB?

Team Sanchez
    Yeah. There are two set screws that tap into the BB to help keep it from rotating.

Now with flavor!!
    Blackspire stuff is way underrated. I've got an old dewlie I've been using for almost two years and I've still never dropped a chain with it.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Silence and Thunder...

I got issues....

I got one from Larry a few weeks back for my spot. I've got the Race Face Deus crankset.
    When I mounted it w/o any spacers, the granny ring bolts dug in deep. No good.
    I dremeled out a wee bit of material from the stinger mount and the bolts but found it was gonna take a lot more to make that work. I think if I could find a 1-1.5mm spacer to put between the BB cup and stinger that it would clear, but then the chainline would be way outta whack. Plus, the way these cranks mount, the standard 2.5mm spacer is a perfect fit. Any different creates problems...
    I think an XT crankset allieviates most of these probs, but I don't want to spring for that just to make the stinger work.
    I figured I'd come back to it later and come up w/ some creative machining...
    If anyone else has a solution, please share!
    ...every day sends future to past...

Team Sanchez
    Yeah, I've got some buddies using Race Face cranks, and it isn't a perfect fit by any means. Can'tgetright had to grind down the chainring bolts on his Deus cranks to keep them from rubbing.

mtbr member
    Now that you've tried both the ISCG and E-type version of the Stinger, which one do you think works better? Did you find any differences?

I am thinking of getting one for my '06 RFX with XT cranks ....

Thanks!

Team Sanchez
    If you have an 06 RFX, then go with the ISCG version. It's easier to install, and if you ever bend it or need to remove it, you won't have to pull the BB out.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Lay off the Levers
    Thanks EC for the info.
    I have the Stinger ready to bolt on my Spot but am waiting for Blackspire's CX4 XTR Lexan bash ring.

I have the E13 DRS on my RFX. I have to say I like the BB mount for the simplicity of installation. Pulling the BB cups on XT/XTR cranksets is a very simple operation.

I've found my DRS rotated up to the chainstay fairly frequently. This I assume this means I have been bashing it pretty good. It shows no damage though. Now if it were ISCG mounted I doubt the tabs would take any damage but I can't help but think the poor chainguide would have to give to make up for it.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Thanks EC for the info.
    am waiting for Blackspire's CX4 XTR Lexan bash ring.
    It must be close. Jenson has the metal one on their site.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ash+Guard.aspx

Knomer
    It looks as though you have a considerable amount of space between the roller and the bashguard. Easily enough for the chain pass through on a rocky DH. Does the system allow you to slide the roller assembly closer to the guard?
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    It looks as though you have a considerable amount of space between the roller and the bashguard. Easily enough for the chain pass through on a rocky DH. Does the system allow you to slide the roller assembly closer to the guard?
    In a word... Yes.

I would imagine you could also elongate the slot much like Tscheezy did on his Heim, to reach down to the smallest of bash rings.

Team Sanchez
    I hear ya Holmes, but the truth is that I've never had an issue with my chain jumping off thru the gap there. Some of my buddies run theirs so that the roller is touching the bash guard, and they roll together. I ran my old iscg version this same way, and never had any issues. Just a matter of preference I guess.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know which e13 charger bashguard fits best with the Stinger? The 32t max or the 36t max?

It's a nice day for a change here in upstate NY, I am off for a ride.

Cheers!

Lay off the Levers
    nyb, it should be adjustable through the range of Superchargers. Worst case you can elongate the roller slot.

Better ride fast... the weather looks like crap down here in the city...and since 'Jersey said no-backsies, we plan on sending it up your way.

Team Sanchez
    Correct. It will fit both 32 and 36 tooth E-13 bash rings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    I got one from Larry a few weeks back for my spot. I've got the Race Face Deus crankset.
    When I mounted it w/o any spacers, the granny ring bolts dug in deep. No good.
    I dremeled out a wee bit of material from the stinger mount and the bolts but found it was gonna take a lot more to make that work. I think if I could find a 1-1.5mm spacer to put between the BB cup and stinger that it would clear, but then the chainline would be way outta whack. Plus, the way these cranks mount, the standard 2.5mm spacer is a perfect fit. Any different creates problems...
    I think an XT crankset allieviates most of these probs, but I don't want to spring for that just to make the stinger work.
    I figured I'd come back to it later and come up w/ some creative machining...
    If anyone else has a solution, please share!
    I had the same issue on my Spot with Deus cranks. 2.5mm spacer created a nice chainline so I broke out the calipers and measured the thickness of guide then took a palm sander to the spacer until I removed the same amount as the guide. Guide + sanded spacer = 2.5mm

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    I had the same issue on my Spot with Deus cranks. 2.5mm spacer created a nice chainline so I broke out the calipers and measured the thickness of guide then took a palm sander to the spacer until I removed the same amount as the guide. Guide + sanded spacer = 2.5mm
    Cool. That's exactly what I was thinking of trying as a palm sander is what I've got too. I was wondering how effective it would be w/ the right grit paper (the sander).
    Bikezilla was correct in a different thread about the stinger being 3.5mm.
    How thin did you sand the stinger down to? I'm wondering if I got it to 2.5 if it would still be strong enough...
    I'd really like to get it mounted up.
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    Cool. That's exactly what I was thinking of trying as a palm sander is what I've got too. I was wondering how effective it would be w/ the right grit paper (the sander).
    Bikezilla was correct in a different thread about the stinger being 3.5mm.
    How thin did you sand the stinger down to? I'm wondering if I got it to 2.5 if it would still be strong enough...
    I'd really like to get it mounted up.
    I did this with a thinner Heim guide and sanded the spacer not the guide. 3.5 mm spacing with a Stinger seems like it would create a wacky chainline. Milling 1 mm off the Stinger should do the trick I would think.

Lay off the Levers
    Question, how would one go about milling 1mm off the face of the stinger?

mtbr member
    I finally swapped out my trusty AJ's for a bb mount Stinger on my Five Spot. The Stinger with no spacers yields the same chainline as the AJ's with one thin (1.5-2mm) spacer. Shifting is flawless, but in the granny the chain just barely rubs the mounting arm of the Stinger as it passes over the top of the roller. The Stinger works fine but the noise is annoying. Is it supposed make this noise in the granny?