Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,369

    Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide

    I'm going to purchase a Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide for my 2005 six pack but I'm not sure if I want the ISCG Mount or the bottom bracket mount. What are the pros and cons of each?

  2. #2
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whodaphuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,764
    If your frame has the mounts I don't see why you'd even consider the other route.

  3. #3
    mr. wonderful
    Reputation: dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    880
    Without a doubt go for the ISCG because it allows you to fine tune the position with the cranks installed.

  4. #4
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,135
    I have one of each.
    -BB mount can be a little easier to install.(depending on things below)

    -ISCG mount sometimes has bolt interference btwn the chainguide bolts and the granny ring bolts, if you run the cranks very close to the BB (no spacers)

    -ISCG can be quickly mounted and removed by w/o removing the BB cups. Nice. It does not affect your chainline either.

    Dirtbag, not sure I understand how you can adjust the ISCG more easily with the cranks installed. How do you reach the mounting bolts with the cranks on? If you leave them loose enough to move the chainguide you still have to pull the cranks to tighten the bolts no? With a BB mount you can leave the cup just loose enough to adjust and tighten afterwards. Still have to remove the cranks to cinch things down though.

    The one advantage of the ISCG mount is you can run your drive side cup without any spacers if that gives you the best chainline. (and the bolts don't hit the granny)

    Also sinc the Stinger ISCG is slotted it can move from a rock-strike just like a BB mounted one can.

    All in all it's sorta 50-50 in my experience.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  5. #5
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,363
    Noosa, what crankset and BB are you running? If you are running an older ISIS or Octalink setup, you will want to go with the BB version of the Stinger. If you have one with outboard bearings, then go for the ISCG version. The Isis and Octalink chainring bolts will rub on the mounting place if you try to use the ISCG version. With the outboard bearing type, there is plenty of clearance, and it's easier to install and adjust.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  6. #6
    mr. wonderful
    Reputation: dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Dirtbag, not sure I understand how you can adjust the ISCG more easily with the cranks installed. How do you reach the mounting bolts with the cranks on? If you leave them loose enough to move the chainguide you still have to pull the cranks to tighten the bolts no? With a BB mount you can leave the cup just loose enough to adjust and tighten afterwards. Still have to remove the cranks to cinch things down though.
    I've got a Stinger on the HL, with Gravity Lite cranks and outboard bearings (doesn't everybody run outboard bearings these days?), and I am able to reach the bolt heads on the ISCG with a hex key through and between the chaos of the spyder and the rings. I didn't really understand the benifit of ISCG until I discovered that little gem. . . smart, now I get it

  7. #7
    Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Reputation: SilverSpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    I've got a Stinger on the HL, with Gravity Lite cranks and outboard bearings (doesn't everybody run outboard bearings these days?), and I am able to reach the bolt heads on the ISCG with a hex key through and between the chaos of the spyder and the rings. I didn't really understand the benifit of ISCG until I discovered that little gem. . . smart, now I get it
    Yup... me too. Only I sport a stinger on a RFX with FSA cranks (don't remember the model) and std BB. Same way to adjust it - through the chainrings. Simple is as simple does...
    MCM# 2007.1

  8. #8
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,259
    chur

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Noosa, what crankset and BB are you running? If you are running an older ISIS or Octalink setup, you will want to go with the BB version of the Stinger. If you have one with outboard bearings, then go for the ISCG version. The Isis and Octalink chainring bolts will rub on the mounting place if you try to use the ISCG version. With the outboard bearing type, there is plenty of clearance, and it's easier to install and adjust.
    Yeah El C, outboard bearings with XT cranks. Pulled the trigger on the ISCG version. Now the real tough question is what color powder coat for the six pack? Thinking Kawasaki green, or SE Racing baby blue (throw back to my BMX days) or even that army green that ventana uses. Decisions, decisions...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •