Dec 2006
    Only 26 er is the DHR...

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    26 er is dead.

Kiwi that Flew

Bike Rumor article on Turner

Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    1. Read the thread ---> 5-Spot-to-be-discontinued?
    5 Spot to be discontinued?
    2. Shed a tear.
    3. Get some 27.5" wheels an never look back... (well wait for a 27.5 Lyrik first)

mtbr member
    I don't get the whole "26ers are dead" thing. I've never seen a 27.5 bike on the trail, at the trailhead or at my LBS. As far as I know, nobody in my riding circle has purchased a 27.5 bike, and from talking with these same guys, nobody is even considering a 27.5 bike.

I'd say it's evenly split between 26ers and 29ers in the extended group that I ride with.

With this said, I'd like to give a 27.5 wheeled bike a try.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I don't get the whole "26ers are dead" thing. I've never seen a 27.5 bike on the trail, at the trailhead or at my LBS. As far as I know, nobody in my riding circle has purchased a 27.5 bike, and from talking with these same guys, nobody is even considering a 27.5 bike.

I'd say it's evenly split between 26ers and 29ers in the extended group that I ride with.

With this said, I'd like to give a 27.5 wheeled bike a try.
    26er is only dead on mtbr.......I'm with you on 27.5 spotting. I've been riding my 650B for three years now and folks think it's a 29er.....go figure.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life;104865 86
    26er is only dead on mtbr.......I'm with you on 27.5 spotting. I've been riding my 650B for three years now and folks think it's a 29er.....go figure.
    Huh? You have been riding a 650B for three years and 26ers are not dead? I am only talking about what the bike companies are selling not what people are riding.

I will be riding my 26ers for awhile, but the next bike will be a bigger wheel size...

Bob

mtbr member
    What worries me is if something happens to my 2011 spot, will any parts be available. I got rid of my Titus for that reason when they went under and now I feel that left behind feeling again...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^ + 1 on that. I sold my Titus and switched to Turner for a bit more future proofing. I'm on my '09 DW Spot and just don't have a budget for a new rig if something happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    exactly. Outside of mtbr, the only people I've talked to that have any interest in 650 at all are the 2 guys that already ride them. This isn't like when 29ers came around and everyone couldn't get enough of them.

I've ridden a few miles on borrowed 650 bikes and could not tell a difference between them and 26ers. Getting a 650 bike would mean obviating a lot of stuff I already have, for no noticeable benefit. I'll pass on this for the foreseeable future.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Huh? You have been riding a 650B for three years and 26ers are not dead? I am only talking about what the bike companies are selling not what people are riding.

I will be riding my 26ers for awhile, but the next bike will be a bigger wheel size...

Bob
    I still ride a 26er..........a Pivot M4. No plans to ditch it. In fact, I am have thinking about picking up a 2012 Flux closeout frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The 5 spot was and still is a great bike.
    It's a shame that Turner bought in to the hype.

According to top Enduro racers ( Barel and Nico) the new wheel size is good for 1 second gains every 2-3 minutes.

As for 26" Ibis and Yeti still make them.

And I too have yet to see this wheel size on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm sure sales numbers led to the Spot's demise. DT wouldn't discontinue a bike that was still selling well.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    I'm sure sales numbers led to the Spot's demise. DT wouldn't discontinue a bike that was still selling well.
    Stop bringing logic into this debate!

mtbr member
    You know, stated above a very interesting thought comes to mind. I have an old TNT vintage with a HL rear. I've modified this thing extensively to be my ultimate trail bike. One of the modifications include a 27.5 front wheel. I love it, the bike is so much fun. Even with all the new weapons out there, this thing still rips. I wish I could afford new but so far have not been able to justify the cost. Not to say I won't be going new soon but I can certainly say all the new stuff have not made my ride obsolete. I'm still ripping all the technical climbs and descents as fast as ever and having loads of fun.

I don't 26 is dead as they still ride as great as they did when they came off the showroom floor. We just have more to choose from which I think is a great thing. Bad for bike shops though.......

mtbr member
    I think that logic is spot on. Based on the fact that you would see the Spot being dumped by mail order places tells me they were not selling. And I think the Flux and Sultan were having issues ad well. These two new bikes have excited the fan base and will bring in new customers and sales.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Name:  Mr.Spock_.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  33.5 KB

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    exactly. Outside of mtbr, the only people I've talked to that have any interest in 650 at all are the 2 guys that already ride them. This isn't like when 29ers came around and everyone couldn't get enough of them.

I've ridden a few miles on borrowed 650 bikes and could not tell a difference between them and 26ers. Getting a 650 bike would mean obviating a lot of stuff I already have, for no noticeable benefit. I'll pass on this for the foreseeable future.
    Bingo. I totally agree. You want a significant change? Go 29er. It took only ONE RIDE for me to dump all my 26er stuff...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I think that logic is spot on. Based on the fact that you would see the Spot being dumped by mail order places tells me they were not selling. And I think the Flux and Sultan were having issues ad well. These two new bikes have excited the fan base and will bring in new customers and sales.
    Turner has been consistent in having deals this time of year on frames that they are changing or discontinuing, Highline, RFX, TNT bikes, non 142mm rear triangle 5 spot frames, 26" Flux. One of the beauties of Turner is that you can get deals every year or so as things change. In my mind the Burner is the 5 spot in 27.5. For new Turners it looks like 26 inch is dead. It will be interesting to see what is out by Interbike. Lots of 27.5 I bet.

I hope I can keep getting 26 inch tires...

Bob

mtbr member
    Turner has been consistent in having deals this time of year on frames that they are changing or discontinuing, Highline, RFX, TNT bikes, non 142mm rear triangle 5 spot frames, 26" Flux. One of the beauties of Turner is that you can get deals every year or so as things change. In my mind the Burner is the 5 spot in 27.5. For new Turners it looks like 26 inch is dead. It will be interesting to see what is out by Interbike. Lots of 27.5 I bet.

I hope I can keep getting 26 inch tires...

Bob
    Well if that is the case, I can't wait for the Burners to start coming up at Blue-sky! (:

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Well if that is the case, I can't wait for the Burners to start coming up at Blue-sky! (:
    Not unless it goes Carbon which seems unlikely at this time. Probably 2015 is the earliest for Burner deals. I am guessing.

mtbr member
    The comment about never seeing the fabled 27.5s on the trail made me laugh. I'm in SoCal and ride near Laguna a lot. OC is home to the $10K carbon trailbike that gets used once a month, and even still I've only seen ONE 650B, a carbon Bronson which probably retailed for $9K. Funny thing is, when I asked the guy about how he liked it, he said he couldn't feel the difference and that he'd be "dumping it" soon. Haha.

And given the sheer size of the 26" XC/Trail/AM market, I can't think any tire company will walk from that business anytime soon.

My two cents...