View Poll Results: Which bike do YOU think I should get?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lucious Pink Flux

9 13.24%
  • Gold Dust Orange FiveSpot

47 69.12%
  • Bright Yellow RFX

8 11.76%
  • Flat Ano Aluminum HighLine

4 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Which bike for me?

As life in the halo goes on, I'm thinking more and more about getting back on the bike when it (halo) comes off. I've decided to trade in my Burner for a new frame, but not totally sure yet what it should be. I'm leaning towards a FiveSpot as it seems it would be the best bike to fit my riding style. But maybe I need more bike if I'm going to continue to ride potentially neck-breaking stunts. Or maybe I need less bike so as to tame things down a bit and keep me out the hospital. How 'bout a vote to amuse me? I've got a lot of time on my hands and need some constructive distractions to keep me sane. I don't know all my biking measurements (if there is such a thing) but I'm 5'4" and like 130ish lbs. Maybe that doesn't matter in considering which bike for me, but maybe it does.

I'm going on 10 weeks in the halo (I'm told that average is 12 weeks for the type of injury I sustained) and have a CT scheduled for Friday. Maybe then the Dr. will know more and have an idea of how much longer. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I'm prepared for more time in the halo as I'm guessing it will be necessary.

I'd post some updated pics, but I'm out of town till tomorrow. I'm experiencing the rain and snow of the Sierras, a true winter, and a big change from SoCal.

Happy riding and vote!

JOD
    Last edited by Jewell of D(enial); 03-07-2006 at 09:46 PM.
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Amphibious Technologies
    Good luck. I hope you're healed enough to get out of that halo soon.

My vote goes to a Spot with a Pike.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Yeah that's another thing, which fork? Pike sounds good. Any others to consider?
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    im seein a dark pink pack with lots of big black parts between yer legs. maybe i should re-phrase that. naaaaa.... it works.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

pink Highline

or trade your titanium halo for Aqua's bunch of coat hangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    As life in the halo goes on, I'm thinking more and more about getting back on the bike when it (halo) comes off. I've decided to trade in my Burner for a new frame, but not totally sure yet what it should be. I'm leaning towards a FiveSpot as it seems it would be the best bike to fit my riding style. But maybe I need more bike if I'm going to continue to ride potentially neck-breaking stunts. Or maybe I need less bike so as to tame things down a bit and keep me out the hospital. How 'bout a vote to amuse me? I've got a lot of time on my hands and need some constructive distractions to keep me sane. I don't know all my biking measurements (if there is such a thing) but I'm 5'4" and like 130ish lbs. Maybe that doesn't matter in considering which bike for me, but maybe it does.

I'm going on 10 weeks in the halo (I'm told that average is 12 weeks for the type of injury I sustained) and have a CT scheduled for Friday. Maybe then the Dr. will know more and have an idea of how much longer. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I'm prepared for more time in the halo as I'm guessing it will be necessary.

I'd post some updated pics, but I'm out of town till tomarrow. I'm experiencing the rain and snow of the Sierras, a true winter, and a big change from SoCal.

Happy riding and vote!

JOD

i want spring!

Pink parts vs Black parts

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    im seein a dark pink pack with lots of big black parts between yer legs. maybe i should re-phrase that. naaaaa.... it works.

Mmmm dirty berts wheels are turning with that comment. it can be turned into so many different ways. Must fight the urge!!!!!!!

~old Db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    I'm thinking that if you want to keep up with that guy/gal with the skort and belly shirt who rides that twisted metal pretzel thingy over carp-loads of rocks,( ) your best bet would be the spot. Yeah, that's it - a nice orange spot with a pike (the fork-du-jour it seems).
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkgriswald
    or trade your titanium halo for Aqua's bunch of coat hangers.
    My ti head jewelry did impress him, but he seems somewhat partial to the rolling coat hanger piece of art and is unwilling to deal. He has been bugging about borrowing my hawaiian print skort, though.
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Lay off the Levers

My vote is for the Spot

w/o having seen ya ride, I'm thinking you're the polar opposite of a Clysdale and I figure you're not dropping 10 footers, I don't think the extra heft of a Pack will do anything but allow you to muscle-up and embarrass Aqua's bird legs.

I would think the you could ride the Spot as hard as you want and not threaten it and you can get a fork tall enough to slack it out for the extra stability the RFX would give you.

OTOH if you're really into ripping along in small cogs the extra travel wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCooch
    ...I'm seein a dark pink pack with lots of big black parts between yer legs....
    I think I just found a new sig.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Pretty sure the really cool Homer chicks ride Pike Air equipped 5-Spots these days.

The BarnyMobile

The CBHarpingMobile

The JewelsMobile

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    ...at essentially the same weight as a Spot, I would go with the 5 Pack/ DHX air & Marzocchi Z1 SL (130-150mm) combo. Very close to the Spot geometry & weight...yet hucker approved should you progress that way. The 'zocchi would allow you to dial in the head angle for different rides- from XC ---> DH.
    Is there another color besides black?

mtbr member
    I like your recomendation as it's close to what DT recomended awhile back. At least I think that's what he said. I was a bit strung out on pain killers when we chatted, so I could be totally wrong. I do like the 5 Spot with the Pike idea and I do worry about weight as I'm not a natrual or quick climber. In fact I feel that just about every climb crushes me, though I'm not ready to shuttle my rides. Sweet bikes linked by Tscheezy. I've seen them and admired them in the past.

I'm also not totally sure about small vs. medium. I'm thinking small with like a 90 mm stem, but maybe a medium could work out?
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bert
    Mmmm dirty berts wheels are turning with that comment. it can be turned into so many different ways. Must fight the urge!!!!!!!

~old Db
    Focus people!!
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

thats not a half bad idea but in pink and black.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    thats not a half bad idea but in pink and black.
    Is it possible to punch someone in the arm over the internet?
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

ouch! damn, girl!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bodhisattva
    Combination of the above.

5-Spot in Pink SuperDust with a Pike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Roy
    mtbr member
    5 Spot/AM1 (130-150). The taller fork will help you in the steeper nasties and the 5 TST positions are actually quite useful for on the fly trail changes.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    i agree with squeaky bunghole....that would be cool. have the lowers of the Pike color matching as well.

not so super...
    Spot for sure.

Gold Dust orange is the shiznit.

Fork: Pike or if you want a little slacker HA an AMSL.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    JOD, a hard ridin' hot chick like yourself would do well on a screamin yellow RFX.

The Uberest of Micks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    5-Spot in Pink SuperDust with a Pike
    I second that!
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
    - Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm with JN, for what I know electronically of your riding type and desires: RFX front/Spot back.

At a minimum, go Spot with a big, fat, luscious coil-over on back, and Pike coil up front.

At the risk of stirring things up -- insert political correctness statement here -- wouldn't that be a kind of girls light freeride/heavy duty trail bike?

And you've paid your dues in the halo -- go ahead and spec the new CCDB.

Or light dude's?
    Whining is not a strategy.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Of the four you listed I say the Spot, the RFX will be overkill most likely unless your bombing rough trails and don't mind hauling it up the steep stuff. A stiff solid fork with maybe a thru axle will be more of an advantage for techy riding than a heavier frame with more travel IMO. I like my Burner for our techy stuff, we have a trail here that has one feature after another, kinda like the rockpile aqua shows off all the time, and the Burner handles it fine with the saddle lowered and the fork raised above 4", it's more about the rider anyways in that kind of stuff right? My 6" Foes does go down the steep gnarly rollers better though, and I can't do any slow speed drops on the Burner cause I'll bottom the suspension.

Team Sanchez
    JOD, I'm gonna have to agree on the pack front with the spot rear, and then go with a DHX air on the back. Should be a great shock for your weight, and the lower leverage ratio will make for a better damping. I have a trail ride tomorrow morning, so I'll be sure to post some pics in case you were jonesin for some action shots.

El C.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    JOD, I'm gonna have to agree on the pack front with the spot rear, and then go with a DHX air on the back. Should be a great shock for your weight, and the lower leverage ratio will make for a better damping. I have a trail ride tomorrow morning, so I'll be sure to post some pics in case you were jonesin for some action shots.

El C.
    Post pics for sure! (Gotta go or I'd reply to the other posts below) Later!
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

mtbr member
    My vote is for the 'Spot as well. Glad to hear you're pulling it all back together. Orange is definitely the way to go too, though there will be another orange "Spot in the fall when mine goes in for a little glamourizing. MOPAR orange!

Freshly Fujified

Aqua's Joneser

I say Aqua should pony up the Jones. What a beautiful sacrifice that would be.

But seriously, glad to see you're feeling well enough to focus on the new bike. I say 5 spot is the cure for what ails ya.

Best Wishes in finding a suitable color. FWIW, stay a way from the "Pimp Zilla's Ride" thread. It can only do more harm than good.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

No, that's not phonetic
    I don't think anyone has busted the seat tube on a medium or small Spot, have they? I mean with the new gusset and the considerably more structurally sound shorter run of tube on the smaller frames, there is no way JOD is going to snap the Spot. A 6-Pack front triangle would make sense if she thought she would want to pick up Pack rockers some day and bump to 6" in back, but otherwise it seems like some serious overkill. Then again JNC weighed both and they are apparently the same weight. Hmmm...

JOD- Barny is 5'5" with longish arms and torso and went with the small. A medium with a short stem would have worked too, but the shorter wheelbase and such on the small turned out to be just the ticket. It's all layed out in her thread which you have seen.

Brass Nipples!

One more uninformed opinion...

A Spot with a Pike and some sold wheels would be my recommendation, but I know as little about your particulars as most everyone else here. It's fun to play anyway.

Once you are sure you'd have adequate standover with a medium, you should choose the bike with the right sized top tube, whatever that works out for you depending on your arm length and desired position.

Once you get our of your cage, maybe you could get a couple of the halo pins welded into a custom road frame as a pump holder or something. I think that would be cool.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Spot for sure.

Gold Dust orange is the shiznit.

Fork: Pike or if you want a little slacker HA an AMSL.
    I remember a certain lizard expressing interest in that color and a certain Smurf got a little less smurfy.

Bodhisattva
    I'm surprised at all this talk about a medium at your size.
    My bud is 5'6" and rides the small Spot. The medium leaves him too stretched out. I'm 5'10" and ride a medium Pack with a 90mm stem although I've used 70 on occassion. Unless your upper body is freakishly long I wouldn't think that you'd be a candidate for a medium but I'll defer to the opinion of the Borg.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Lay off the Levers
    Interesting idea Bob ...I think a set of crossed Halo pins would make a great HT or ST badge!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I don't think anyone has busted the seat tube on a medium or small Spot, have they? I mean with the new gusset and the considerably more structurally sound shorter run of tube on the smaller frames, there is no way JOD is going to snap the Spot. A 6-Pack front triangle would make sense if she thought she would want to pick up Pack rockers some day and bump to 6" in back, but otherwise it seems like some serious overkill. Then again JNC weighed both and they are apparently the same weight. Hmmm...

JOD- Barny is 5'5" with longish arms and torso and went with the small. A medium with a short stem would have worked too, but the shorter wheelbase and such on the small turned out to be just the ticket. It's all layed out in her thread which you have seen.
    ...there are a couple advantages to the Rfx triangle (w/ Spot rear...5 Pack)configuration aside from durability..IMHO. 1.) A slightly higher BB (~.25") over the Spot. Not enough to affect your COG feeling, but enough to give a bit more pedal clearance. I think JOD would benefit from this on her local trails. 2.) Slightly steeper HA. This would allow her to run a longer A-C fork like a zocchi (Z1 SL) in 5" mode & achieve a similar feeling setup to the Spot/ Fox combo. She would also have DT's blessing to run the fork in a 150mm setting & maintain slightly quicker steering than the 6" RFX setup. 3.) Room to progress....obviously, even tho the Spot would likely never *snap* or otherwise, the Rfx triangle would afford her the options of more aggressive riding styles as well as slapping a dual crown fork (like the new 06 air boxxer) for a day of shuttling (if she wanted to do that) 4.) ADDED: 5 Pack is really trendy right now!

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    2.) Slightly steeper HA.

How slightly is slightly? 1 degree? 1/2 a degree?

And is it true the front triangles of the same size weigh the same? Isn't the Pack tubing straight gauge vs. the butted Spot tubing?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I remember a certain lizard expressing interest in that color and a certain Smurf got a little less smurfy.
    You know I was only kidding Zilla Go Orange if that's what you like. I certainly don't own the rights to it. Mudpie went and got an Orange Spot so there are now 2 Orange Turners in the ATL!
    Nothing to see here.

Just another FOCer
    Even though the Turner only choices are nauseating, my vote is for the RFX w/ Z1 FR SL.

If riding the stunts on Chiquita and ATT is how you get your thrills then great.

If long days on the Tour De Noble is where it is at for you then get the 5 Pack version while running the Z1 at 130 mm. (Your body will quickly adjust to the extra poundage.)

(I figure the RFX front triangle gives you the most flexibility.)

Look forward to seeing you on the trails,

Winston
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

Bite Me.
    Something in Black.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Oh yea, a happy smiling smurf, when upset, can quickly morph into a dark, evil smurf.......like this:

Baked Alaskan

Bling!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ADDED: 5 Pack is really trendy right now!
    That alone is enough reason to get one, can't let the smurfs be the only poseur trendy "riders" on the board!!!

I voted yellow Pack, but the 5-Pack looks like the way to go from a handling/durability/coolness standpoint.

Though the Spot/Pike is a popular combo right now...

Glad to hear you're looking forward to riding again, sounds like recovery is going well, or about as good as it can be all things considered.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Lay off the Levers

Keep 'Em Off The Back...

Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    That alone is enough reason to get one, can't let the smurfs be the only poseur trendy "riders" on the board!!!
    Yeah, and JOD, Keep your Burner....having both will really cheeze off the one-Turner-owner-poseurs-wannabees! Especially the ones who pretend their SO's is their second bike.

Outcast
    'Zilla, are you instigating some action here? I'm rubbing off on you!
    I think the smurf should adopt the new photo of himself as his avatar.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    How slightly is slightly? 1 degree? 1/2 a degree?

And is it true the front triangles of the same size weigh the same? Isn't the Pack tubing straight gauge vs. the butted Spot tubing?
    Here's the geometry for the 5 Pack as listed on the Competitive Cyclist website. I'd be interested to know the A-C of the fork these measurements are based on.

not so super...
    Smurfs have magical powers - don't make me use them.

Let's see - more snow for Renegade and maybe a lost or damaged frame while at the paint shop forr Zilla - that ought to do the trick.
    Nothing to see here.

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Pretty sure the really cool Homer chicks ride Pike Air equipped 5-Spots these days.
    even though ide say go with a spot, and assuming grrl stands for girl, there is at least one "homer chick" with a pack/rfx http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...86035#poststop.

mtbr member

I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    Here's the geometry for the 5 Pack as listed on the Competitive Cyclist website. I'd be interested to know the A-C of the fork these measurements are based on.
    (...eyes glazing over then crossing to stay focused...read very slowly, Julee, and pretend I'm understanding...). No seriously, I know I asked for it, but I'll admit that I'm a (sterotypical sexist generalization coming) true girl with it comes to the mechanical wonders that are bikes and their workings. Translation: I need to refer to my "Bike Engineering for Dummies and wannabees" frequently when trying to understand the techy bike talk. I guess I ride allright, but if I never had to tweak a thing on my bike from now till eternity, I'd be pleased. I'm know I'm probably letting many of you Homer Knowlegables down with this humbeling admission, but it's the truth (...head hanging low and eyes cast downward...).

So far I'm getting the feeling that a small "5 Pack" might be the way to go (a lot of good recomendations for fork, shock, and proper set up) if the weight can be kept the same as a Spot. As long as I can get it in a fun color, I'd probably be thrilled no matter what. I'm actually thinking purple sparkle of some kind. Notice how I go from talking bikes and parts to the color? No, I really do want the right bike for me and the type of riding that I'd like to be doing (safely) and the guys that I've been riding with all have much bigger bikes then my Burner. And even so, I was always up for the challenge of cleaning the same stunts with less bike (though more then my previous hardtail) and it eventually bit me in the butt.

Aqua!! (echo), are you out there? Please come out! Where are you?

Thanks for all the rad recomendations and insightful imput. It will definately help when it comes to the final big decision.

JOD
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Lay off the Levers

Don't even PLAY

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Smurfs have magical powers - don't make me use them.

Let's see - more snow for Renegade and maybe a lost or damaged frame while at the paint shop forr Zilla - that ought to do the trick.
    Be forwarned if that happens SS, you are NOT out of range for a vendetta day flight... )

mtbr member

Spot

Given that Spots are ridden hard all over the world by 200 lb plus riders with no issues I struggle to see why you would need any more bike than that at your featherweight - even if you regularly do a few drops and stuff. The Spot climbs so well too - which I assume is always part of your riding ?

No, that's not phonetic
    I concur. I would get the Pack triangle if I were chewing through Spot frames like candy or really wanted the chain guide tabs, or if I knew I would want to go 6" down the road. For a light gurl, the Pack triangle would not even cross my radar screen otherwise. Considering riding styles and the forces they can bring to bear on the frame, the fork axle to crown arguments aren't even really a factor. I'd put a Van 36 on Barny's 5-Spot without batting an eyelash because I know even if she cratered it it would still be less stress on the bike than my big butt landing smoothly while running a Pike.

In the end, we mainly have to answer to DT, so after doing a little soul searching and accurately assessing what may be in your riding future, David can make the most bestest recommendation.

Outcast
    JOD, what ever you end up getting, think about how it would look in screaming yellow. This is Shanedawg's RFX. I allways thought this one of the hottest looking RFX's out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast