View Poll Results: Which bike do YOU think I should get?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lucious Pink Flux

9 13.24%
  • Gold Dust Orange FiveSpot

47 69.12%
  • Bright Yellow RFX

8 11.76%
  • Flat Ano Aluminum HighLine

4 5.88%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Which bike for me?

As life in the halo goes on, I'm thinking more and more about getting back on the bike when it (halo) comes off. I've decided to trade in my Burner for a new frame, but not totally sure yet what it should be. I'm leaning towards a FiveSpot as it seems it would be the best bike to fit my riding style. But maybe I need more bike if I'm going to continue to ride potentially neck-breaking stunts. Or maybe I need less bike so as to tame things down a bit and keep me out the hospital. How 'bout a vote to amuse me? I've got a lot of time on my hands and need some constructive distractions to keep me sane. I don't know all my biking measurements (if there is such a thing) but I'm 5'4" and like 130ish lbs. Maybe that doesn't matter in considering which bike for me, but maybe it does.

I'm going on 10 weeks in the halo (I'm told that average is 12 weeks for the type of injury I sustained) and have a CT scheduled for Friday. Maybe then the Dr. will know more and have an idea of how much longer. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I'm prepared for more time in the halo as I'm guessing it will be necessary.

I'd post some updated pics, but I'm out of town till tomorrow. I'm experiencing the rain and snow of the Sierras, a true winter, and a big change from SoCal.

Happy riding and vote!

JOD
    Last edited by Jewell of D(enial); 03-07-2006 at 10:46 PM.
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Amphibious Technologies
    Good luck. I hope you're healed enough to get out of that halo soon.

My vote goes to a Spot with a Pike.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Yeah that's another thing, which fork? Pike sounds good. Any others to consider?
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    im seein a dark pink pack with lots of big black parts between yer legs. maybe i should re-phrase that. naaaaa.... it works.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

pink Highline

or trade your titanium halo for Aqua's bunch of coat hangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    As life in the halo goes on, I'm thinking more and more about getting back on the bike when it (halo) comes off. I've decided to trade in my Burner for a new frame, but not totally sure yet what it should be. I'm leaning towards a FiveSpot as it seems it would be the best bike to fit my riding style. But maybe I need more bike if I'm going to continue to ride potentially neck-breaking stunts. Or maybe I need less bike so as to tame things down a bit and keep me out the hospital. How 'bout a vote to amuse me? I've got a lot of time on my hands and need some constructive distractions to keep me sane. I don't know all my biking measurements (if there is such a thing) but I'm 5'4" and like 130ish lbs. Maybe that doesn't matter in considering which bike for me, but maybe it does.

I'm going on 10 weeks in the halo (I'm told that average is 12 weeks for the type of injury I sustained) and have a CT scheduled for Friday. Maybe then the Dr. will know more and have an idea of how much longer. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I'm prepared for more time in the halo as I'm guessing it will be necessary.

I'd post some updated pics, but I'm out of town till tomarrow. I'm experiencing the rain and snow of the Sierras, a true winter, and a big change from SoCal.

Happy riding and vote!

JOD

i want spring!

Pink parts vs Black parts

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    im seein a dark pink pack with lots of big black parts between yer legs. maybe i should re-phrase that. naaaaa.... it works.

Mmmm dirty berts wheels are turning with that comment. it can be turned into so many different ways. Must fight the urge!!!!!!!

~old Db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    I'm thinking that if you want to keep up with that guy/gal with the skort and belly shirt who rides that twisted metal pretzel thingy over carp-loads of rocks,( ) your best bet would be the spot. Yeah, that's it - a nice orange spot with a pike (the fork-du-jour it seems).
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkgriswald
    or trade your titanium halo for Aqua's bunch of coat hangers.
    My ti head jewelry did impress him, but he seems somewhat partial to the rolling coat hanger piece of art and is unwilling to deal. He has been bugging about borrowing my hawaiian print skort, though.
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Lay off the Levers

My vote is for the Spot

w/o having seen ya ride, I'm thinking you're the polar opposite of a Clysdale and I figure you're not dropping 10 footers, I don't think the extra heft of a Pack will do anything but allow you to muscle-up and embarrass Aqua's bird legs.

I would think the you could ride the Spot as hard as you want and not threaten it and you can get a fork tall enough to slack it out for the extra stability the RFX would give you.

OTOH if you're really into ripping along in small cogs the extra travel wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCooch
    ...I'm seein a dark pink pack with lots of big black parts between yer legs....
    I think I just found a new sig.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Pretty sure the really cool Homer chicks ride Pike Air equipped 5-Spots these days.

The BarnyMobile

The CBHarpingMobile

The JewelsMobile

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    ...at essentially the same weight as a Spot, I would go with the 5 Pack/ DHX air & Marzocchi Z1 SL (130-150mm) combo. Very close to the Spot geometry & weight...yet hucker approved should you progress that way. The 'zocchi would allow you to dial in the head angle for different rides- from XC ---> DH.
    Is there another color besides black?

mtbr member
    I like your recomendation as it's close to what DT recomended awhile back. At least I think that's what he said. I was a bit strung out on pain killers when we chatted, so I could be totally wrong. I do like the 5 Spot with the Pike idea and I do worry about weight as I'm not a natrual or quick climber. In fact I feel that just about every climb crushes me, though I'm not ready to shuttle my rides. Sweet bikes linked by Tscheezy. I've seen them and admired them in the past.

I'm also not totally sure about small vs. medium. I'm thinking small with like a 90 mm stem, but maybe a medium could work out?
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bert
    Mmmm dirty berts wheels are turning with that comment. it can be turned into so many different ways. Must fight the urge!!!!!!!

~old Db
    Focus people!!
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

thats not a half bad idea but in pink and black.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    thats not a half bad idea but in pink and black.
    Is it possible to punch someone in the arm over the internet?
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

ouch! damn, girl!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bodhisattva
    Combination of the above.

5-Spot in Pink SuperDust with a Pike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Roy
    mtbr member
    5 Spot/AM1 (130-150). The taller fork will help you in the steeper nasties and the 5 TST positions are actually quite useful for on the fly trail changes.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    i agree with squeaky bunghole....that would be cool. have the lowers of the Pike color matching as well.

not so super...
    Spot for sure.

Gold Dust orange is the shiznit.

Fork: Pike or if you want a little slacker HA an AMSL.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    JOD, a hard ridin' hot chick like yourself would do well on a screamin yellow RFX.

The Uberest of Micks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    5-Spot in Pink SuperDust with a Pike
    I second that!
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
    - Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm with JN, for what I know electronically of your riding type and desires: RFX front/Spot back.

At a minimum, go Spot with a big, fat, luscious coil-over on back, and Pike coil up front.

At the risk of stirring things up -- insert political correctness statement here -- wouldn't that be a kind of girls light freeride/heavy duty trail bike?

And you've paid your dues in the halo -- go ahead and spec the new CCDB.

Or light dude's?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Of the four you listed I say the Spot, the RFX will be overkill most likely unless your bombing rough trails and don't mind hauling it up the steep stuff. A stiff solid fork with maybe a thru axle will be more of an advantage for techy riding than a heavier frame with more travel IMO. I like my Burner for our techy stuff, we have a trail here that has one feature after another, kinda like the rockpile aqua shows off all the time, and the Burner handles it fine with the saddle lowered and the fork raised above 4", it's more about the rider anyways in that kind of stuff right? My 6" Foes does go down the steep gnarly rollers better though, and I can't do any slow speed drops on the Burner cause I'll bottom the suspension.

Team Sanchez
    JOD, I'm gonna have to agree on the pack front with the spot rear, and then go with a DHX air on the back. Should be a great shock for your weight, and the lower leverage ratio will make for a better damping. I have a trail ride tomorrow morning, so I'll be sure to post some pics in case you were jonesin for some action shots.

El C.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast