Not a Barry supporter.

Biggest fork possible for Burner?

The fork on my SS blows (it's old and flexy) so I'm planning on popping my Marathon on it. That will leave the Burner with no fork. I'm curious what the longest travel fork is I can pop on there? Is a Talas way too big? What other options do I have? I'm a Marz man at heart and would love to get another Marz but I've only heard great things about the Talas. Plus two of my buddies ride it and love it.

Thanks Homers!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Bite Me.
    In theory there's no limit on the size of the fork you could install if you didn't care about the effects on handling. Personally I think 120-125mm is about the longest travel you would want before the steeering got floppy, the headtube angle started to get way slack and your BB height got so tall that your center of gravity and position on the bike got weird. The Burner rides best all around at 100mm IMO, but with adjustable travel you can tune for the type of riding you're doing.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    The fork on my SS blows (it's old and flexy) so I'm planning on popping my Marathon on it. That will leave the Burner with no fork. I'm curious what the longest travel fork is I can pop on there? Is a Talas way too big? What other options do I have? I'm a Marz man at heart and would love to get another Marz but I've only heard great things about the Talas. Plus two of my buddies ride it and love it.

Thanks Homers!
    I put a Marathon XC on mine and tried it in the 120mm mode, didn't like it overall. Front end felt too racked out on the climbs and flats but it felt solid going down. The Talas might work well though cause you can adjust the travel on the fly right? The TAS feature on the zoke requires you to let the air out to adj. travel so your commited for the ride, if I could adj. on the fly I would probably run it in 120mm mode for the extended downhills, but otherwise the 105mm mode feels right on.

I do love the TST feature on my Zoke though, I use it regularly whereas I never touched the compression dial or the lockout on my Vanilla and Float forks.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I put a Marathon XC on mine and tried it in the 120mm mode, didn't like it overall. Front end felt too racked out on the climbs and flats but it felt solid going down. The Talas might work well though cause you can adjust the travel on the fly right? The TAS feature on the zoke requires you to let the air out to adj. travel so your commited for the ride, if I could adj. on the fly I would probably run it in 120mm mode for the extended downhills, but otherwise the 105mm mode feels right on.

I do love the TST feature on my Zoke though, I use it regularly whereas I never touched the compression dial or the lockout on my Vanilla and Float forks.
    Great minds think alike
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Rolling
    I have a vanilla 125 on mine and it rides beautifully. I like slack head angle and think the head angle of the burner is too steep anyhow with a 100mm fox. However, that said, other forks like Zokes will have a longer A2C and feel bad.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Put a PIKE on there. Run it at 110 - 120mm. Then when you get a Spot, you'll have a perfect fork for it!

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Got a float 130 earlier this year with the intention of lowering it to 115ish. Never happened. I like it at 130, it's plush (well, relatively speaking). I think that if you run a long fork, you'll pay a little on the climbs but enjoy the downs more. Vice versa really, if I wanted it to climb better, I'd lower it to 100 and suffer a bit on the downs. Tradeoffs, as always.

Bite Me.
    I ran this for awhile on the Burner, but the climbing suffered a little. The chicks like it though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Not to mention it pushes a little in the corners. Endo-ing is nearly impossible as a benefit, though.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I ran this for awhile on the Burner, but the climbing suffered a little. The chicks like it though.

Now where can I get me one of those!
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    The chicks like it though.
    That's what's important!

I just ordered an '05 Reba Race with U-Turn. I like it at 100mm but I do climb some steep stuff that I've occasionally thrown my Black down to 80 for. And of course there's times want a little more travel and a higher front end. I think the 85-115 range should bracket the Burner nicely. The '06 Reba maxes out at 100 which is where the Revalation starts. As noted above, I don't see myself wanting to go past 115 - probably not 110. The '05 should be exactly what I'm looking for!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr platinum member
    I agree with what the others have already mentioned. I used to ride a Marathon S 105mm (478mm A-C) and currently am trying a Reba U-Turn set at 115mm. I think that the Reba feels OK at 115, but it's borderline floppy. I think that 110mm would get me back to the sweet-spot for the frame.

In Moab, 115mm just felt plain inadequate .
    Last edited by bikerx40; 10-27-2005 at 09:48 PM.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

banned
    On a related note, I was making a rough and technical climb tonight and decided to try the ETA after a couple years of not using it and the Burner was actually at a disadvantage. I kept losing traction and too much weight was in the front. I couldn't believe how awesome a climber it is in the stock configuration.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    its no secret that i gotta go with cutthroat and rroader on this one. i ran a talus on my burner for most of a year in all kinds of stuff and dug it big time. so much so that i kept it and use it on the new flux. sharp steep climbs, long grinders, fast twisty downs, long low air and 8' drop ins..... man i loved the versitility and the plush feel yet at 160 lbs i never felt the flex others have. maybe you can ride mine when im out next week. its on a medium w/ eggbeaters - 5'9" - 32" inseam.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    its no secret that i gotta go with cutthroat and rroader on this one. i ran a talus on my burner for most of a year in all kinds of stuff and dug it big time. so much so that i kept it and use it on the new flux. sharp steep climbs, long grinders, fast twisty downs, long low air and 8' drop ins..... man i loved the versitility and the plush feel yet at 160 lbs i never felt the flex others have. maybe you can ride mine when im out next week. its on a medium w/ eggbeaters - 5'9" - 32" inseam.

Thanks for the info fellas. I have a Marz SL 120 on my racing HT that I think I'm gonna switch to the Burner today for Flagstaff tomorrow. I've been avoiding that b/c I don't really want a complete air fork but if it works, it works. Then I can get a smaller, lighter fork for the HT. I've seen the Marz Race on sale for less than $400...that's a smokin' deal and w/o doing the boring research and all, I can just tell myself that I'll lose 1/2 lb. So the HT will be even lighter and faster! But the Burner is still the everyday bike of course. I could care less about weight on it.

So after Flag tomorrow, I should have a pretty darn good idea whether that fork will work or not. If not, I'll pop it back on the HT and look at another one for the Burner. But if it does, then I'm all set.

I'm 5'8" - 32" inseam and run a large Burner with a 110 stem (eggs too!). Most people my size can't ride it comfortably. I like to be really stretched out and in that race position all the time. I had a 90mm stem on there and was too compacted and was not comfy at all. It's just one more of my oddities.

C ya next week for some ridin'. And you other fellas on here need to join us too. The more Turners...the better! Stick with us and you'll be clearin' National and Telegraph b/4 you know it.
    Last edited by Crash_FLMB; 10-28-2005 at 07:26 AM. Reason: mis-spelled word
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    enjoy mt elden pal! i was hopein to get up there but it doesnt look good. sounds like youll get some flux time next week! would ya mind fielding questions on the rides in my absence? maybe start a thread on it like i shoulda done weeks ago. you know how to reach me after mon afternoon. flight leaves today and i have fam comittments through most of monday but we will do the DNR mon night at 9pm meeting in the schoopl parkin lot corner of warner/elliot loop and equestrian trail. all welcome!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    That's what's important!

I just ordered an '05 Reba Race with U-Turn. I like it at 100mm but I do climb some steep stuff that I've occasionally thrown my Black down to 80 for. And of course there's times want a little more travel and a higher front end. I think the 85-115 range should bracket the Burner nicely. The '06 Reba maxes out at 100 which is where the Revalation starts. As noted above, I don't see myself wanting to go past 115 - probably not 110. The '05 should be exactly what I'm looking for!
    I run the Reba Team on mine w/o all the Pop-Loc crap and have loved it - very tunable, and you really can adjust it on the fly. In 85mm mode with the floodgate in a few turns the Burner climbs like my old O2, on the downhills at 115mm with the FG wide open, you just get way more stability and control at speed. 100mm is truly the sweet spot for rolling terrain, but it's just plain awesome to have to variable travel when you're doing the long grunt climbs like Top of the World or Keystone Mt. followed by a big descent.