Snapper

Big Bloke on Flux? Hit or Miss!

Hi Turner Crew,

I have the opportunity to purchase a secondhand Turner Flux XL (07 front triangle with 06 rear). I am 6.5 and 230lbs and l am concerned whether l am kidding myself and will break the thing. It will replace my Motolite (too small) and would be used for trail riding with minimal light jumps and fast flowing singletrack and rocky technical sections. Before you all suggest l should be on a 29er please let me confirm that l have a Spider 29er and Ventana SS. But l have two 26ers dripping with top gear looking for a new home. I also understand the Turner crash replacement is fantastic but living in Australia with poor $$ conversion makes it difficult. Does Turner do anything different to the larger sizes to stiffen up the frame? Should l stick to a 5 Spot and dream of XC light weights, caressing climbs, dating a swimsuit model and loosing 40 lbs.
    So what do you think folks. Will l destroy the Flux or will it be my new best friend.
    Cheers
    John

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Flux isn't really built for jumping, so a Spot might be the better option?

not so super...
    get a Sultan and you can sell off all the other bikes (except maybe the SS).

Sorry, that's all I got.

mtbr member
    In my experience, the Flux is not going to last long as a all-around trail bike at your weight. I think you are better off sticking to a Spot. If you build it light, with the same components that you would use on the Flux (other then the fork of course) it will still come in around 27-28lbs, a pretty respectable weight for a trail bike if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Best bet would be to contact Turner. DT will stear you straight.

Captain Underpants
    I rode one (XL) at at BWT of 275# for a year with the occasional small drop. DT didn't think there would be any issues with my bike and there were not. At 230# you should be fine, as long as you run decent tires and rims. A spot might be a better handler downhill, but the Flux is no slouch.

Moosehead
    I'm 225 and have both a Spot and a Flux with no issues on either bike. Similar trail riding as you described, nominal airtime. Flux is a blast, handles tech better than one would expect, and is welcomed on big ascent days. Spot obviously rocks on gnarlier terrain and doesn't require as much care picking lines on the downs. The grin factor is equal to me for both rigs. IMO, if you liked the Motolite, you'll love the right sized Flux.

Note the 08 Flux has a beefed up lower shock mount that bridges into the downtube vs. the 07 and earlier which have the lower shock mount primarily on the seat tube. There were prior frame cracks in this area on the older models, but you're well covered by Turner.

Yea, everyone says shaving grams is not for Clydes, but having a flickable bike that climbs like a monkey, rails trails, and can handle tech is just as much fun for a big dood. Besides, I gotta better shot at a swimsuit model than at losing 40 lbs.
    Last edited by moosehead; 01-21-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Snapper
    Thanks folks there are some great replies here. I only wish to have one 26er (and 2 x 29ers) and the short list must be the perfect allrounder. I am with Moose on the fact that even big blokes need flickable lovin from time to time. Would this 07 Flux be the perfect arounder? Probably not. It would be a wonderful addiction to any collection but not THE ONE. So l am thinking either a 08 Spot, 09 Spot, Intense Tracer Vpp, Yeti 575 or Pivot Mach 5. Being on a Turner Forum it may be a no brainer and l have read the other threads on 08 vs 09 Spots. Sorry got off the topic l started.
    Or l can get the frame nice and cheap and another frame for the rough stuff. Oh so many choices ..................... some little cash. I could selve the cash, invest in oil, get fat and old and buy my swimsuit model and to hell with all this bicycle jive talking. She wouldnt do my head in!
    Thanks for your help gang.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663
    Hi Turner Crew,

I have the opportunity to purchase a secondhand Turner Flux XL (07 front triangle with 06 rear). I am 6.5 and 230lbs and l am concerned whether l am kidding myself and will break the thing. It will replace my Motolite (too small) and would be used for trail riding with minimal light jumps and fast flowing singletrack and rocky technical sections. Before you all suggest l should be on a 29er please let me confirm that l have a Spider 29er and Ventana SS. But l have two 26ers dripping with top gear looking for a new home. I also understand the Turner crash replacement is fantastic but living in Australia with poor $$ conversion makes it difficult. Does Turner do anything different to the larger sizes to stiffen up the frame? Should l stick to a 5 Spot and dream of XC light weights, caressing climbs, dating a swimsuit model and loosing 40 lbs.
    So what do you think folks. Will l destroy the Flux or will it be my new best friend.
    Cheers
    John
    Hi John, You are not that heavy for the Flux as long as you will use it for XC Fire road- single tracks without jumps. The ML is more of a Trail bike than the Flux. If you want a more durable Turner that you can jump around, a Spot will be the better choice but the Spot will not be easy to pedal than the Flux or the ML.

melon farmer

test drive..

JD - next time you're down south you can check out the L 08 Spot and take her for a test ride - changed the Pike to 36 and no weight gain. I reckon you could get a spot under 30lbs no worries the way you build up bikes, particularly with light wheels and tires. The Flux'll suffer under the sheer muscle power of chaps like you an' me...

I dunno what the weight diff is between the Flux and the Spot but it'd be less than 2lbs I would've thought. That's one pre-ride AGB.. negligible!

PS - nationals this weekend at Stromlo - have sold off the Tracer frame to a bloke coming down for the race. Should be sweet. If Rennie is there he'll be on Morewood...

Moosehead
    .....THE ONE. So l am thinking either a 08 Spot, 09 Spot, Intense Tracer Vpp, Yeti 575 or Pivot Mach 5.
    JD, if you got the coin, fuggetabout anything I said lovingly about the Flux - do the 09 Spot as The One. If you don't have the juice, then it's a tougher call and more about what kinda topo you're riding what what you're looking to get outta this new horse.

Obviously, this forum and the MTB trend is towards plush, which I get and participate in fully (no pun intended). However, IMO, quick steering, ascents, and manuverability provide as much fun factor as bombing obstacles. Some consider that ghey, but they're either not comfortable with themselves or need to put a good LaZboy in the living room. In either case, an 08 Flux or 08 Spot are literally no brainer deals these days and a Turner in the quiver will spoil the hell outta you. Enjoy.

Snapper
    Hi Marcus,

How the f#%$K are you? Funning l ring a bikestore in Melbourne yesterday to make some inquiries about frames and 5 minutes later l get a text from Mark V saying "WTF how do you think you can make an inquiry in my State without me knowing about it".
    You know me and how l like to buy before l try........................ well l am so bored with the lot. I would like one 26er for the You Yangs, Nerang, Stromolo, one 29er FS (that doesn't flex like a noodle) and the Ventana SS 29er. I have 5 rigs of with l dont really like any of them. I know .........whinge, whinge ........... but l can sell of everything and keep two of my bling builds for the right frames.
    I noticed Competative Cyclist in the States is doing smoking deals on 08 Turners. If Bill (DH Direct) was still in power then l could have got a good deal through him. Anyway they are selling frames for 1200 US and everything l am looking at here is 3000 Aus +. They said they would post two frames for $210 US. Was dreaming about a Sultan and a 5 Spot 08 or at least the Spot for starters. I will contact Turner direct and see what DT will do (especially with new distro in Oz yet to fire up). I hear you are very happy with your Spot and l might be coming through ACT early March on my way back to VIC.
    What you think. I would kill that little Flux wouldnt l?
    JD

Snapper
    Hi Moose, mate you are so spot on................ l like the way you boogie. I also like fast and firey attacks to the senses and at 40 with family and stuff can take big drops off my list of things to do. In saying that l will find every rock, log or slight berm on the trail to get it alittle sideways / aired and styling. They will all beat me to the top of the hill but f@#K l look good coming down. I got the coin to make one good decision but cant afford to have 5 poor ones in my quiver. That probably answers XTR444 statements about my intended use for the Flux........... thanks for that.
    I could get an 08 Sultan and a 5Spot for the same $$$ as an 09 5Spot. It would have to be remarkable to warrent that sort of excess.
    Thanks everyone your advice and thoughts are greatly appriciated.
    JD

not so super...
    I still don't know what you would need the Spot for if yo had a Sultan....but whatever. 2 new bikes is a hard deal to look away from.

melon farmer
    Hi Marcus,

How the f#%$K are you? Funning l ring a bikestore in Melbourne yesterday to make some inquiries about frames and 5 minutes later l get a text from Mark V saying "WTF how do you think you can make an inquiry in my State without me knowing about it".
    You know me and how l like to buy before l try........................ well l am so bored with the lot. I would like one 26er for the You Yangs, Nerang, Stromolo, one 29er FS (that doesn't flex like a noodle) and the Ventana SS 29er. I have 5 rigs of with l dont really like any of them. I know .........whinge, whinge ........... but l can sell of everything and keep two of my bling builds for the right frames.
    I noticed Competative Cyclist in the States is doing smoking deals on 08 Turners. If Bill (DH Direct) was still in power then l could have got a good deal through him. Anyway they are selling frames for 1200 US and everything l am looking at here is 3000 Aus +. They said they would post two frames for $210 US. Was dreaming about a Sultan and a 5 Spot 08 or at least the Spot for starters. I will contact Turner direct and see what DT will do (especially with new distro in Oz yet to fire up). I hear you are very happy with your Spot and l might be coming through ACT early March on my way back to VIC.
    What you think. I would kill that little Flux wouldnt l?
    JD
    JD - i'd definitley take the 2008 Sultan and Spot combo, but only because I'm skint.. I'd love to try the DW Spot but why have one bike when you can have two?? Let me know how you go with the Turner dealings - still wary of the new distributor but maybe they'll come through with the goods (?).

If I had the cash, I'd snap up your Motolite and build that up for me and E to ride. If you get a chance, definitely pop in to Canbugga on the way home - be good to take you for a ride at Sparrow, Stromlo and Majura. Looks like I'm going to sell the Terremoto and build up a hardtail too - won't get ridden enough unless they install a chairlift at Stromlo (apparently still a possibility).

Ditch the Flux for sure. Go the Spot/Sultan double act. I love twins.

melon farmer
    Funning l ring a bikestore in Melbourne yesterday to make some inquiries about frames and 5 minutes later l get a text from Mark V saying "WTF how do you think you can make an inquiry in my State without me knowing about it".
    PS - the Butt Pirate sees all..

Moosehead
    Last edited by moosehead; 01-23-2009 at 01:41 PM.