Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,670

    Big Betty's standard as tubeless with conversion kit?

    Any experience running the BB's tubeless with the Stan's Conversion kit? I would hold out for the UST BB's, but I am running standard rims now. I formerly ran UST rims/tires several years ago, then went back to standard due to limited UST tire choices out there and poor luck running standard tires on UST with sealant (blew tire off of rim when landing a jumb at high speed, lucky I didn't mess myself up too bad). So, any luck with these, thinking they would work fairly well due to thicker sidewall compared to other single ply, <1kg tires.

    Thanks for any feedback

    JG
    Ride On!

  2. #2
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,329
    I've been running BB's with Stan's on 823's for a while now with no problems. UST tires are lame. They weigh more than they should, and they're usually equipped with soft(er) compound rubber which wears too fast.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I've been running BB's with Stan's on 823's for a while now with no problems. UST tires are lame. They weigh more than they should, and they're usually equipped with soft(er) compound rubber which wears too fast.
    Thanks, good to know, but the 823's are UST compatible rims, wondering how the standard BB's would work on standard rims with strip?

    thanks again

    JG
    Ride On!

  4. #4
    mr. wonderful
    Reputation: dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Any experience running the BB's tubeless with the Stan's Conversion kit? I would hold out for the UST BB's, but I am running standard rims now. I formerly ran UST rims/tires several years ago, then went back to standard due to limited UST tire choices out there and poor luck running standard tires on UST with sealant (blew tire off of rim when landing a jumb at high speed, lucky I didn't mess myself up too bad). So, any luck with these, thinking they would work fairly well due to thicker sidewall compared to other single ply, <1kg tires.

    Thanks for any feedback

    JG
    Iíve been running tubeless since what seems like the beginning of time. First stans conversion on mavic 517s, then mavic x3.1s, 819s, and 823s, now stans flows and arches. I've gone through a lot of different tires too, some UST but mostly not. With that said, I can definitively say that the big bettys are, by far, the biggest PITA to seat tubeless of anything I have ever tried.

    The only way I could get them to seat was to mount them with a tube on an old rim and let sit for a couple of weeks, then mount them on the tubeless setup by seating with a tube, popping one bead and removing the tube, inserting the stem and filling with spuge and soaping the loose bead, wrapping the tube around the outside of the tire, then hoping, praying (and I am far from religious), and cussing as it would have about a 1 in 10 shot of catching.

    Yeah, I tried them thinking the thicker sidewalls would work well in Phoenix. Even aside from the tubeless mounting issues, I have had better luck with single ply kendas against rips, cuts, and torn off knobs, believe it or not.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,670
    Thanks, good to know. A new riding buddy of mine who has mounted every rim/tire he has to tubeless with the conversion kit and swears he can set my wheels up with no problems, that I just need to get the conversion kit and he will dial in the rest. I just wanted to know the compatibility of the BB's with the kit before springing out the $ for the kit and sounds like I might have some problems with em.

    JG
    Ride On!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    I've been on BB all summer last year with Stan juice, Stan Arch rim and Stan yellow tape. No problem whatsoever and it was very easy to mount and inflate only with my manual pump.

    The NobbyNic on the other hand, ho my, what a nasty sucker. That one has paper thin sidewall, it took me half an hour with a friend and his compressor. We did every trick in the book to finally have it seal but once sealed it worked fine for the rest of the summer.

  7. #7
    mr. wonderful
    Reputation: dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I've been on BB all summer last year with Stan juice, Stan Arch rim and Stan yellow tape. No problem whatsoever and it was very easy to mount and inflate only with my manual pump.

    The NobbyNic on the other hand, ho my, what a nasty sucker. That one has paper thin sidewall, it took me half an hour with a friend and his compressor. We did every trick in the book to finally have it seal but once sealed it worked fine for the rest of the summer.
    It could be the 819 vs. Stan's rims too. I am finding tires seat a lot easier on Stan's than on Mavics. Exiwolfs, for example, will seat easily with a floor pump and Minion DHs will pop on without any soap.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,066
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    I’ve been running tubeless since what seems like the beginning of time. First stans conversion on mavic 517s, then mavic x3.1s, 819s, and 823s, now stans flows and arches. I've gone through a lot of different tires too, some UST but mostly not. With that said, I can definitively say that the big bettys are, by far, the biggest PITA to seat tubeless of anything I have ever tried.

    The only way I could get them to seat was to mount them with a tube on an old rim and let sit for a couple of weeks, then mount them on the tubeless setup by seating with a tube, popping one bead and removing the tube, inserting the stem and filling with spuge and soaping the loose bead, wrapping the tube around the outside of the tire, then hoping, praying (and I am far from religious), and cussing as it would have about a 1 in 10 shot of catching.

    Yeah, I tried them thinking the thicker sidewalls would work well in Phoenix. Even aside from the tubeless mounting issues, I have had better luck with single ply kendas against rips, cuts, and torn off knobs, believe it or not.
    Hmm. That doesn't sound too encouraging. I just got a pair Big Betty's I was planning on mounting to my XM321 rims with a stan's strip and sealant. I've mounted several Kendas (Blue Groove, Nev, Kinetics) and a Panaracer Rampage up to these rims without much issue. I haven't been too happy with the durability for sidewall cuts/tears on the Kendas though. The Panny held up very well OTOH.

    I may give it a try since I already have all the stuff, but I don't need a major hassle four days before a Moab/GC trip.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I've been running BB's with Stan's on 823's for a while now with no problems. UST tires are lame. They weigh more than they should, and they're usually equipped with soft(er) compound rubber which wears too fast.
    Was that with running the tires with rim strip on the 823's or just tire, rim and sealant?
    Ride On!

  10. #10
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,329
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Was that with running the tires with rim strip on the 823's or just tire, rim and sealant?
    No rim strip.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    It could be the 819 vs. Stan's rims too. I am finding tires seat a lot easier on Stan's than on Mavics. Exiwolfs, for example, will seat easily with a floor pump and Minion DHs will pop on without any soap.
    Well yes and no, I also have xmax XL wheels which I believe use the same rim as the 819 and I've had very little problems seating tires on those either. For me it has been more a question of the tire sidewall then the rims themselves. As I said, the paper thin NobbyNic sidewalls make it very difficult, but still feasible. I have yet to have a regular tire I haven't been able to convert to tubeless. I have a feeling it's more a question of practice and patience on the users side then anything else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •