Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Neg reppers r my biatches

Bettys vs Advantage

Simply curious here on the advantages....chad sent a couple pics last night and noted that there was a shortage on the Bettys so he went with Advantages. I honestly dont care as I am sure both are great......I just have not heard much about the Advantages, though they look cool in the pics and that is all that matters!!!!!

Is there a sort of general pro and con of the two when compared?

cheers

Bodhisattva
    Pro: I have Bettys
    Pro: You don't

I like knowing that our bikes remain 100% different
    Life....the original terminal illness

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Pro: I have Bettys
    Pro: You don't

I like knowing that our bikes remain 100% different
    LOL....

funny you mention that. i was actually upset yesterday when i realized i could in fact NOT make the statement that every single part we discussed i went AGAINST your advice....minus the tires. Now I can say that there is not a single part we discussed that i went with your recommendation! The Anti Squeaky build!!!

me "dude, i am getting heavy asss bars and stem cause they are white"
    you "dude, you are retarded....they will be swapped out immediately"
    me "STFU, i am going with it cause they look cool to me"

me "i aint getting no phaggy gravity dropper"
    you "STFU, you will get one"
    me "no, YOU STFU....I will NEVER get one you stupid ahole"

me "dude, i am getting some heavy ass brakes cause i like their looks"
    you "dude, you are truly an idiot. just get some J7 brakes or something logical. that build will be so heavy"
    me "STFU, I dont care what you say, heavier brakes tend to look cooler"

me "dude, i went with I9s after all"
    you "whatever"

me "dude, i am gonna get a chainguide just cause."
    you "they are lame, you dont need one"
    me "they look cool so STFU"

you "Lyrik, Lyrik, Lyrik you idiot"
    me "nah...they dont have white lowers and i dont like the way they look"
    you "Lyrik, Lyrik, Lyrik"
    me "ha ha...what a POS'
    you "i think i will be getting a lyrik coil now"

to name a few examples....

-> SickLines.com <-
    i've never ran the big bettys but the Advantage 2.4's I have used worked well and hook up quite nicely. They hold strong in the corners and have a nice profile. The tire casing is pretty strong and it feels really nice in the lower psi's. I have only really used them in damp conditions (not quite tacky) and they worked quite well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    i've never ran the big bettys but the Advantage 2.4's I have used worked well and hook up quite nicely. They hold strong in the corners and have a nice profile. The tire casing is pretty strong and it feels really nice in the lower psi's. I have only really used them in damp conditions (not quite tacky) and they worked quite well.
    thanks for the info! dude, your site is cool in regards to all the weights....thanks for the input

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    blow mezzle: i spent a day on the advantages in moab and dug em, alot! dont think i once broke traction without inducin it. some who have done less of a gravity ride with em say they roll badly, slowly, heavily. they werent a rocket on the ups but i didnt spend too much time goin anything but downhill that day. ive still got my min-yuns if need be.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    blow mezzle: i spent a day on the advantages in moab and dug em, alot! dont think i once broke traction without inducin it. some who have done less of a gravity ride with em say they roll badly, slowly, heavily. they werent a rocket on the ups but i didnt spend too much time goin anything but downhill that day. ive still got my min-yuns if need be.
    thanks dawg...i am pretty stoked, especially since they are not what squeaky would pick

No, that's not phonetic
    So what's the Advantage compound? I have a really hard time going back to a regular 60 duro compound in dry conditions (Utah road trips) now after having run stickies for a few years. The Highrollers on the Highline (60A?) I thought were just terrible on slickrock and the Bettys (non-glooey) on Crash's 6-Pack just buzzed and vibrated and did not hook up that well on Gooseberry Shinarump conglomerate/sandstone and gravel. Sticky tires aren't great in back, but they sure are nice in front.

I didn't spend enough time on the Advantage to get a real feel for it.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Bodhisattva
    You are getting trigger shifters like I told you, right?
    Life....the original terminal illness

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    You are getting trigger shifters like I told you, right?
    LOL....shut up. yeah, i forgot that too...trigger shifters are for gravity dropping douche bags

rr
    I don't do PC
    I hear the Adv's were designed by Alison Dunlap so you know they will be great XC tires, should go well with your XC wheels and handle extreme gravel paths nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I hear the Adv's were designed by Alison Dunlap so you know they will be great XC tires, should go well with your XC wheels and handle extreme gravel paths nicely.
    nice one!....b1tch!

trail fairy
    LOL....

funny you mention that. i was actually upset yesterday when i realized i could in fact NOT make the statement that every single part we discussed i went AGAINST your advice....minus the tires. Now I can say that there is not a single part we discussed that i went with your recommendation! The Anti Squeaky build!!!

me "dude, i am getting heavy asss bars and stem cause they are white"
    you "dude, you are retarded....they will be swapped out immediately"
    me "STFU, i am going with it cause they look cool to me"

me "i aint getting no phaggy gravity dropper"
    you "STFU, you will get one"
    me "no, YOU STFU....I will NEVER get one you stupid ahole"

me "dude, i am getting some heavy ass brakes cause i like their looks"
    you "dude, you are truly an idiot. just get some J7 brakes or something logical. that build will be so heavy"
    me "STFU, I dont care what you say, heavier brakes tend to look cooler"

me "dude, i went with I9s after all"
    you "whatever"

me "dude, i am gonna get a chainguide just cause."
    you "they are lame, you dont need one"
    me "they look cool so STFU"

me "ha ha...what a POS'

FO Im gonna save ya here buddy youre being lined up to have the slowest RFX in hommer ville if you go with those squirmy Advantages!

get the BBs if ya can and find a black marker pen to change the name to FO Bettys or something so ya differnt from Squeak now that'd be real custom

If ya don't want BBs get the new Minion triple compound 2.5 up front and run a Minion rear 2.35 or 2.5 standard dhr, Ive already found that with our awesome heavy bar and stem combo that I need a bigger 2.5, my 2.5 wtb weirwolf is hanging in there but Ive had some sketchy moments in sandy corners, Mins will kick those advantages, in saying that if traction is what ya want then the advantages might be better, but where talking .%s I just shift my weight and use the old technique thing we did before we had Turners

Go the Chad yeahaaaa
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    LOL....

me "ha ha...what a POS'

me "ha ha...what a POS'

Uhh, don't you mean 66SL?

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    So what's the Advantage compound? I have a really hard time going back to a regular 60 duro compound in dry conditions (Utah road trips) now after having run stickies for a few years. The Highrollers on the Highline (60A?) I thought were just terrible on slickrock and the Bettys (non-glooey) on Crash's 6-Pack just buzzed and vibrated and did not hook up that well on Gooseberry Shinarump conglomerate/sandstone and gravel. Sticky tires aren't great in back, but they sure are nice in front.

I didn't spend enough time on the Advantage to get a real feel for it.

You said Shinarump, hehehehehe

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Dude, Maxxis is such a pedestrian brand. Schwalbe currently has a much higher bling factor.

Isn't that what this RFX is all about?

Run 'em backwards and claim that makes it a totally different spec than Squeak!

The only way to top the BB's would be to find a desirable tire from a really cool, obscure brand like Vredestein.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I had used the Bettys for about 6-7 month and I honestly really hated them.They are the most numb feeling cornering tire I had ever owned besides the old Tioga Factory DHs.The performance in the wet is not the best too as is traction on the wet rocks around here.
    Positive about them is they are relative lightweight and have a good sidewall protection but thats about it.They simply don't work for me at my home soil even they are developed here in my country.But this seems to have a good tradition with me as I hate german made POS like Magura,Nicolai and that like....The GooeyGlooey compound does not feel as sticky as it should be,it just feels not as sticky as a 40 or 42 compound Maxxis for example or Michelin SC but works ok and wears good.The ORC compound was also ok and long living but I had issues with my rear tire wich developed a unbalance in the carcase over time.
    The Advantages I am runing right know feel much better to me,they handle much closer to the Minions and Highrollers in the corners but are lighter rolling and more neutral handling than those.They simply rail better than the Bettys,feels more controlled.Braking performance feels subjectively similar.An other big plus to me is the typical damped feeling when the tire hits an obstacel like roots or rocks only a Maxxis tires provides.The tire is lighter than the Betty and has thinner sidewalls but the whole tire builds much higher above the rim and this added volume works great as protection.I flated the tires two times since I own them (about 4 month now)with zero damage at the sidewall wich is a good result in my book.
    Again,I seem to hate those Schwalbe tires and feel much more positive with the Advantage 2.4 with their 60 compound is IMHO "the" Trailbike tire at the market right now.
    I would wish there would be an option for the 3C compound avaible wich would make them even better....

Later
    RaD

trail fairy
    I have just the tire its a prototype homer tire, production will see a red and white version

Go the Chad
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Silence and Thunder...

wow!

...he did write "Shinarump conglomerate", didn't he...
    ...every day sends future to past...

Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Uhh, don't you mean 66SL?
    LOL....nope, and there is more to it than that but I promised I would not kiss and tell so I musn't......

EDIT: Just noticed squeaky did the "telling" in the shock forum. y'all kick just kick him in his ass on the way out now! Or perhaps i missed him post it here as well.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 11-11-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    FO Im gonna save ya here buddy youre being lined up to have the slowest RFX in hommer ville if you go with those squirmy Advantages!

get the BBs if ya can and find a black marker pen to change the name to FO Bettys or something so ya differnt from Squeak now that'd be real custom

If ya don't want BBs get the new Minion triple compound 2.5 up front and run a Minion rear 2.35 or 2.5 standard dhr, Ive already found that with our awesome heavy bar and stem combo that I need a bigger 2.5, my 2.5 wtb weirwolf is hanging in there but Ive had some sketchy moments in sandy corners, Mins will kick those advantages, in saying that if traction is what ya want then the advantages might be better, but where talking .%s I just shift my weight and use the old technique thing we did before we had Turners

Go the Chad yeahaaaa
    thanks man....i think i will stick with the advantages as they are already on the bike and see how much it affects climbing. I will not know any different as it has been about a year for me since i have been on a FS geared bike....lookin forward to it!

besides, among many other things like sub 360 gram bars, sub 310 gram stem, fast rolling tires are for biatches!

allow me to edit this for ya fo:

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I will not know any different as it has been about a year for me since i have been on a bike....
    you can thank me later.

ps: i hear spring comes in like a albino lyon. any truth to that?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    So what's the Advantage compound? I have a really hard time going back to a regular 60 duro compound in dry conditions (Utah road trips) now after having run stickies for a few years.
    The ADvantage is currently offered only in 60A. I replaced the Big Betty I was running in the rear with an ADvantage and have gotten 4-6 rides on it including several laps down the Barrels and out on Little Creek's outer loop. The traction is excellent, cornering is stellar, and I've been very impressed with the abuse the sidewall has taken without tearing or allowing a flat when I cased a jump and nearly destroyed my DT 6.1 rim. They appear to be wearing much better (slower) than the BB or the Nevegal DTC which is to be expected with the 60A compound. El Chingon complains that the rolling resistance is higher, but I didn't notice any difference and we both came off of BB's. I haven't run either up front but in the rear I'd give the advantage to... well the ADvantage.

this is good news as i have a set waitin for me in the build box.

slightly off topic: i just got news today that our little sammy is now hooked up with maxis. no money but free tires for breakfast, lunch and dinner! way to go sammy!

way more off topic: the person who told me was sam's dad mark whos currently laid up for the next 6 weeks with a busted back. L-5 was busted clean in half when a tractor he was drivin got away from him on a steep road and eventually flipped on top of him. the doctors say hell be 100% in time so thats good news. considerin what hes been through he looks pretty good and is recoverin at home with the help of family and friends.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Shiz you crack me up man. This thread is a riot.
    Re the tires... I don't care if they grip like velcro and roll like slicks, if it ain't UST I'm not interested. I'd even roll a UST with a tube before I go back to a pu$$y walled tire like the Nevegals again.

As for the Gravity "retarder", bring your arse out East where each roller or drop is immediately followed by an equivalent climb and I bet you'll be trying to steal the first GD you see in in the parking lot.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast