Well Biked
    Jun 2005

Best Trails in the Moab area for a bigger bike?

If you were to take a larger bike (like a Highline ) to Moab, or vacinity, what trails would give you the best downhill "bang for your buck," while still being somewhat manageable on the climbs. I know "manageable" is somewhat relative given the varying levels of goat DNA distributed among us.

Porc shuttle is a big yes. Most of the other major trails I have not been on yet.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Porc, from at least LPS, better Hazard County
    Amasa
    Amasa to Jackson's
    Sovereign is not problem with a FD and a reasonably fit rider, has some fun sections for a bigger bike.
    Bartlet Wash - not a trail, but a cool play area for jumping, carving, general foolery

FM
    luxatio erecta
    There's a few fun drops on amasaback / jackson / rockstacker. But nothing a spot couldn't handle under a smooth rider. Amasa has this area with 3-4 drops and the step-up, we usually spend some time sessioning there. (sorry for the 1000th post of this shot! )

I also hear "rumours" of other trails...

Having ridden porcupine on a variety of bikes, I still think a 5" or light 6" bike with big durable tires is best. I rode it on my '02 RFX years ago and felt way overbiked. It's just not steep enough for a bike bike to carry speed, pedaling the extra weight gets old. The following year, I took a titus motolite with a 150mm fork and it felt sooo much better- still hit the dinner tables and other optional huxorz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the ideas. I am not very smooth yet, but I am all for general foolery!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Check out this thread, DFW and his buddies found some big moves.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Those are some huge moves. Really nice pictures.

Did you happen to see the nasty crash Mushroom Rock video in the DH/FR forum? Not pretty. I think that's part of Barlet Wash.

mtbr member
    ^ yes that is the famous mushroom rock from Bartlett Wash. That crash was just brutal!
    2006 Specialized Enduro Elite
    2004 Rocky Mountain Element 50

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Besides those above, I wouldn't miss The Portal Trail, and I would make the drive to the Lunch Loops Area in Grand Junction (Tebauguache Trails?) for Free Lunch and Holy Cross. Free Lunch alone is worth at least a couple of repeats.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    There's a few fun drops on amasaback / jackson / rockstacker. But nothing a spot couldn't handle under a smooth rider. Amasa has this area with 3-4 drops and the step-up, we usually spend some time sessioning there. (sorry for the 1000th post of this shot! )

I also hear "rumours" of other trails...

Having ridden porcupine on a variety of bikes, I still think a 5" or light 6" bike with big durable tires is best. I rode it on my '02 RFX years ago and felt way overbiked. It's just not steep enough for a bike bike to carry speed, pedaling the extra weight gets old. The following year, I took a titus motolite with a 150mm fork and it felt sooo much better- still hit the dinner tables and other optional huxorz.

Sweet. Pushin' the limits of the ML just a bit there.

Surfin' da mountain

Yeah Yeah! What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Porc, from at least LPS, better Hazard County
    Amasa
    Amasa to Jackson's
    Sovereign is not problem with a FD and a reasonably fit rider, has some fun sections for a bigger bike.
    Bartlet Wash - not a trail, but a cool play area for jumping, carving, general foolery
    Shuttle to the top of Hazard County (its well marked). If the shuttle service looks confused say "Take me to Warner Campgrounds!". The trailhead is nearby. There's a 5-15 min climb (you can see the top from the trailhead). Ride Harzard to Kokopelli, then turn right (NOT LEFT) when you drop onto Sand Flats road, to the cattle grate, turn right into LPS and follow to the Notch (upper body bag?).
    Ride it if you dare! If you're worthy of your big bike you will be fine.
    Then continue on Porc Rim to Negro Bill's Parking Lot. From 9500ft to 3600ft decent! in 26 miles. Is that down enough?
    Pic from the top of Hazard - note the lush vegetation from top of the LaSals looking down into castle valley
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Any chance the top of Hazard would be open later in May?

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Scepticshock how ya doing?

Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    Any chance the top of Hazard would be open later in May?

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming!
    Just 'cause you might be heading back Moab-way on a bigger bike doesn't mean you need to attempt Mushroom Rock at Bartlett or that move on Amasa (I can also show you a vid of a guy breaking his collarbone on that same drop). The mantra around the Turner forum and especially the DH/FR forum is "go bigger, go bigger" but you need to ask yourself "why?". If you're a husband, father, breadwinner, do the math.

Nowhere on the thread about that guy eating it at Bartlett was there mention of "was it worth it?", not even from the guy who ate it. He tells us his list of injuries but no remorse. I read that as he is not like you or I. He accepts fokking himself up as the price to be paid for...I dunno, 5 seconds of fame with those watching (if he cleans it?). If you truly don't care about the consequences of your actions (other than the adulation of those who didn't risk their lives doing some stunt, they just watched you risking yours) ok, go ahead, scout out some ridiculous move that may or may not fokk you up bigtime. Or let's say you actually clean that move, so what? Your buds mutter "good job"? Big f'ng deal, some reward. Think about it.

I've been to Moab maybe 50 times, Bartlett most of those visits and have never attempted any of those drops. And I'm very guilt-free about that. I've always ridden within my limits and come away relatively uninjured. Take your big bike there and enjoy how it handles the gnar but just stay away from the big drops. Or not, I guess.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Well Biked
    Jun 2005

Hey xcguy

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Just 'cause you might be heading back Moab-way on a bigger bike doesn't mean you need to attempt Mushroom Rock at Bartlett or that move on Amasa (I can also show you a vid of a guy breaking his collarbone on that same drop). The mantra around the Turner forum and especially the DH/FR forum is "go bigger, go bigger" but you need to ask yourself "why?". If you're a husband, father, breadwinner, do the math.

Nowhere on the thread about that guy eating it at Bartlett was there mention of "was it worth it?", not even from the guy who ate it. He tells us his list of injuries but no remorse. I read that as he is not like you or I. He accepts fokking himself up as the price to be paid for...I dunno, 5 seconds of fame with those watching (if he cleans it?). If you truly don't care about the consequences of your actions (other than the adulation of those who didn't risk their lives doing some stunt, they just watched you risking yours) ok, go ahead, scout out some ridiculous move that may or may not fokk you up bigtime. Or let's say you actually clean that move, so what? Your buds mutter "good job"? Big f'ng deal, some reward. Think about it.

I've been to Moab maybe 50 times, Bartlett most of those visits and have never attempted any of those drops. And I'm very guilt-free about that. I've always ridden within my limits and come away relatively uninjured. Take your big bike there and enjoy how it handles the gnar but just stay away from the big drops. Or not, I guess.
    I'm pretty much with you there. I have already been through the big injury thing, and have no urge to repeat it, as well as ruin a bike vacation for myself and any anybody else I am with. Having a bigger bike just means more leeway for error when I do decide to push myself. Your concern is well appreciated.