Toby Wong?

The best last days of the year - Oakridge, OR trip report

Schralper and I headed over to Oakridge on Sunday and Monday to meet up with his brother and ride some of the best singletrack Oregon has to offer. Out here in Central OR, our dirt is dry and dusty and our trails, while awesome, don't have the climbing or the wickedness that exists in Oakridge. Needless to say, it rocked. Hands down some of the best singletrack riding i've ever done. Sure Moab has the rock, but if you want amazing forest riding, this is the place.

Oakridge is 2 hours from Bend and 40 minutes from Eugene. There are trails everywhere. October is the best time of year to visit this area. It's indian summer and the sun is out, the trees are changing, and the dirt is duffy, grippy, and fast.

Sunday we did Alpine Trail and Monday it was Larison Creek.

load it up - notice the keg of Deschutes brew

take it on the road

on the way, you pass Maiden Peak - can you say 3000' vert of singletrack in 4 miles? Eric and I did this last year and it was amazing - fast DH

at the trailhead...a perfect 70 degrees and sunny

We shuttled up to the top of Alpine for the 4000'+ descent

view from the drop-off....we're headed all the way down into the valley

Alpine Trail panorama - only pics from Alpine as it was just too fun to stop

campout

sunset in Oakridge

Monday - Larison Creek - a 2 hour climb followed by 1 hour descent of 2000'+

ride down from the trailhead

to this amazing dam

head across the dam and step over the railing

2 riders here

deep, dark, duffy, and dank

total success

The weather has already changed up here in the desert and the snows are on their way....Indian Summer is over....we scored. I'm ready to go back.

LT-5
    Oct 2005

Great trip report . . .

Thanks so much for posting up your report and photos. As I'm sitting here in south-central Alaska with morning temps in the teens I'm mighty envious of your indian summer riding.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Damn, thats awesome stuff. Great riding, camping and a keg!