Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best fork-travel size for '06 RFX?

I just picked up a beautiful, lightly-used '06 RFX frame (Large) and am in the process of deciding on my build. It has a Push'd RP23 valved for my weight on it and I am looking for it to be a trail to light-DH bike. I already have Domain 115-160mm U-Turn that would probably work great but it is a little heavy (not as bad as they are made out to be, mine is under 6 lbs.). I am wondering if a 160mm fork is really the best fit for this frame as I am also interested in a Pike Dual Air. At 160mm I am also looking at a Lyrik although I am not sure it offers enough weight savings to justify the cost where I already own the Domain. Other parts are mainly Raceface Atlas and it will have an X9 drivetrain. So, I am trying to be weight-conscious but not at the cost of durability. I would appreciate any feedback. Oh, and I hope this does not turn into a Fox is better, Marzocchi sucks debate. I have been happy with Rockshox but do realize the Lyrik has had some issues. The Pike and Domain however seem to be rock-solid. And my Boxxer, which is now on my DHR, is great.

Dave
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

Outcast
    Dave, the axle to crown length on the Pike is pretty short for an RFX of any model year; it will give you a really steep head angle. Forks like the lyric, 36, and 66 are a better geometry match.
    The only exception would be if you had 5 inch rockers on the bike; then the a/c measurement of the pike might be a fit.

mtbr member
    That makes sense. I saw a pic of a Lyrik and Pike next to each other and couldn't believe how much taller the Lyrik looked. Thanks for the advice.

trail fairy
    Domain under 6lbs awesome, maybe see if ya can get a ti spring from somewhere like unobtainium or Diverse both do Ti Im not sure if they do Fork springs in your fork length the othe option is Avalanche contact them for the price of a new fork its not a back option ok its not a big weight saving but heck its a dam good fork!

I thought the Domain went to 180mm in Uturn?

Anyways the 06 is core get a coil rear while ya at it and toughen up the legs and kick arse,ya want it slack PIKE is a great fork but not for the RFX its a spot fork, RFX was no GHEY xc bike
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    The Domain 180 is not available with U-turn, I actually have one of each. I am considering a coil shock but want to see where the weight comes in. I have also heard good things about the Push'd RP23.

mtbr member
    An 06 Zoke Z1 SL or Z1 Light would work - they are 150mm (same as the rear travel on a 06 RFX) but the A-C keeps the 68 degree head angle DT designed. Other than that I would say a 160mm Lyrik or fox 36 would work well. Lots of people liked Zoke 66s too but I personally thought they were a little too tall and slowed down the handling and make them hard to climb steep stuff without winding down the travel.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Domain is a perfect fit on my '01. Your '06 isn't that much different nor that much lighter so it would still be a great match. You got the fork already just try it. If not, go shopping!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Maybe I am lucky, but my Lyric coil has been 100% trouble free since I purchased in late '07. For me it is a great fit for my 5 pack. wind down for some jump/BMX/pumptrack fun...and wound up to 160 it makes a pretty great HD trail/'do all but true DH' bike for someone with a dedicated DH sled.

mtbr member
    I am a big believer in running either all coil front/rear or all air combo, not a mix of the two. With the set-up with the Domain at 6.5lbs (about same weight as Fox 40 203mm dual crown) and the air shock, I am afraid it will feel a little out of balance and front heavy, endo prone while in air and steeps. If staying with the air shock, I would look into a 36 Fox Float or Talas if you want the travel adjust, or Lyric air if wanting your RFX to be better suited for aggro XC to some AM fair. If keeping the Domain, which I hear are solid and great for the price, definitely get coil shock for more harder hitting versatility, being able to tolerate some light FR/DH and a no brainer if you are >200lbs and hard on your stuff. My 06' RFX is coil front/rear and I use it as my "one bike" for everything from aggro trail to some FR/DH (nothing too extreme though).

JG
    Last edited by jgusta; 01-13-2009 at 11:55 PM.
    Ride On!

Wicketed
    I'll second the Lyrik coil. Great match, with u-turn. But at about 5.7lb it is not far off the weight of your domain, so I'd just bung that on until you get a proper feel for how you want the bike to handle. From experience I'd suggest don't go Pike, and (also from experience) coil is preferable than even a Pushed RP3, but the RP3 is still a good shock.

Enjoy the bike - great choice!
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

banned
    I run a 36 TALAS RC2 with a 7mm crown race spacer. Will be switching back to the Z1 Light for some play comparisons. Glad I didn't get rid of it. Always worrying about the 36.

mtbr member
    Great input, thanks. I have to say I kind of agree with going either coil/coil or air/air and I missed a chance at a great deal on a Lyrik Solo Air. But unless I can save quite a bit of weight I am not inclined to shell out big bucks on another coil fork. I weighed my Domain U-turn last night, just under 6 lbs. which is less than Rockshox says in the specs. BTW, my Large frame with RP23 is 7 lb. 11 oz., not bad if you ask me. If only I knew Marz. had their act back together Tree Fort has a killer deal on a '09 55 ATA...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169
    Great input, thanks. I have to say I kind of agree with going either coil/coil or air/air and I missed a chance at a great deal on a Lyrik Solo Air. But unless I can save quite a bit of weight I am not inclined to shell out big bucks on another coil fork. I weighed my Domain U-turn last night, just under 6 lbs. which is less than Rockshox says in the specs. BTW, my Large frame with RP23 is 7 lb. 11 oz., not bad if you ask me. If only I knew Marz. had their act back together Tree Fort has a killer deal on a '09 55 ATA...
    You're asking for trouble with any ATA/Talas fork. Not that you will be gaurenteed a problem, but the technology is such that it's never going to be as reliable as a coil fork or simpler air-spring. Go for a float 36 or solo-air RS model if you have to go with air. If you need a climbing aid, go with a coil model. U-turn or ETA. The ability to adjust the axle-to-crown and lower the fork for the super steep climbs helps a lot more than having a fork that's a pound lighter, but if you think the weight makes that much of a difference, go with the simpler air-sprung forks (no travel adjust).

So I'm not trying to knock Talas by saying that it doesn't work, but if you're expecting the technology and fork to be 100% solid, it's an unrealistic expectation.

Otherwise, a 55 RC3 ETA is the best match IMO. Simple, amazing performance from RC3, the ability to lock it down with the ETA cart, and so on. I considered the lyric, but creaky crowns and some other problems scared me off, if I was going to get one though it'd be the coil u-turn model. Oh yeah, the 55 RC3 ETA doesn't exist, but you can make one.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

trail fairy
    The Domain 180 is not available with U-turn, I actually have one of each. I am considering a coil shock but want to see where the weight comes in. I have also heard good things about the Push'd RP23.
    Ahh I did not remember that cheers

For the weight savings vs cost of the other forks and performance gains, if it were me I'd stick with ya Domain and put the money towards a top rear shock like an Avy with a ti spring get it tuned for your ride style hi lo compression etc the Domain form me has had great reliable history and a good match.

it may not have the bling record of the lyrik or ox Talas of 66s but its a darn good fork if setup right and most people don;t set there suspension up right, fluid weights for spring rates let alone lsr/hsr etc on higher end suspension !

If ya got that done then ya already ahead, get the rear dialed, because the 06 frame benefits heaps from a proper tune shock for the high ratio DT ran on the earlier modles like a CCDB or AVy or a PUSH tune / DHXc, Im not a fan of Air unless ya maybe a lightweight person!

It might work better on the newer 07/08s because of the newer longer stroke ratio's lower leverage, if ya go that way look at a LV air can for ya RP3/23 or DHXa and if youre over 80kgs

But imo keep the Domain 160 get an Avy Chubbie with hi/lo ti spring and be in heaven [7.5x2.0]

oh and then hunt dwon some Spot seatstays replace the pack seat stays!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    If you're going to go for a fork, I'd try to get a 2008 36 RC2, but as a TALAS, believe it or not. The reason for this is because only the Van and TALAS models have a hydraulic Bottom Out assembly in the damper. I would then budget for the replacement parts to turn it into a float. It sounds odd, but they are selling at 50% the price they were in 2008, as new old stock. Then about 40-50 to get the Float conversion parts and sit on it.

You can't do this with a Van because the stanchions are finished and coated differently on the Float, and the spring could have damaged the inside of the stanchion on installation.

Sounds odd, but it will save some bucks in the long run. It might not be worth the trouble, but hell, I'd do it.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Just to provide perspective, I own a Talas 36 and so do about 20 other guys I ride with on a weekly basis, year round. I have not seen a single reliability issue with any of the '08 or '09 forks.

mtbr member
    If I keep the Domain I could order a straight 160mm spring. It won't cost much and it drops a fair amount of weight. My 180mm Domain is 1/4 lb. lighter than my U-turn and that also has a 1.5 Steerer tube. A straight 160mm probably would come in at about 5.5 lbs. and at that weight it would be really hard to justify spending the money on another fork. I will keep my eyes out for a Chubie shock. I have owned a Chubie in the past and currently have a DHS on my DHR with High/Low and a Ti spring, sweet setup.

trail fairy
    If I keep the Domain I could order a straight 160mm spring. It won't cost much and it drops a fair amount of weight. My 180mm Domain is 1/4 lb. lighter than my U-turn and that also has a 1.5 Steerer tube. A straight 160mm probably would come in at about 5.5 lbs. and at that weight it would be really hard to justify spending the money on another fork. I will keep my eyes out for a Chubie shock. I have owned a Chubie in the past and currently have a DHS on my DHR with High/Low and a Ti spring, sweet setup.
    Thats a good call, Im not getting the other calls for a new fork, the other fork otpins are good forks in there own right but you already have a darn good fork, if starting from new then ok!

But you have a good fork imo! sounds like you are on the right trails

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    What about a 36 Float? Wheelworld has a killer deal and that knocks off a pound.

Dave
    Last edited by stretch169; 01-17-2009 at 05:19 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    based on your current setup/riding preferences, I'd say go for it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    One more option to throw out there, what about a Marx. Z1 RC2 ETA? Wouldn't look great but I can't seem to find a negative comment about that fork. I know it is only 32mm stanchions though and I'm not sure how the A-to-C compares to Domain/36. I'm not sure if my issue with the Domain is that it is more of a budget fork or that it weighs so much. Sounds like the Z1 weight would fall between the Float 36 and Domain, around 5.5 lbs. which I consider to be fine. I can't seem to find much info. on the 2007 Fox 36 Float but sometimes that can be a good thing. I do like having compression adjustments though, especially since I will be using the fork for trail riding as well as some gravity runs.

Dave

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have two Talas 36's a 05 and a 07 ,never a problem. However I have seen two, that had the travel reduction fail,both forks worked properly otherwise ,so the ride continued.
    Great fork if you don't shuttle much...kelly

banned
    *supposedly* Chain Reaction still has the 07 Z1 RC2 listed (the orange one). See if their inventory is in need of updating, or if they actually do have it.

Glad I got my gf hers a little over a year ago. We saw two left on Ebay and this was when everyone was racing to buy them at year end because at the beginning of the year, they couldn't handle the color, then saw mid and late year the other zoke alternatives were not very good. After we bought hers, the other went within an hour or so, and I've rarely seen one since. I also got my all black Z1 Light through the classifieds and then didn't see any after that.

Fun story was looking for one in fall of 06, and finding one on Fleabay, ultimately losing to an auction snipe. I rode the next weekend in 'Zilla's territory and found a guy riding a Z1 just like it, so we chatted about it, he didn't like it much, etc. It turned out HE was the guy that beat me in the auction. Small world.

mtbr member
    Ended up finding buyers for both Domains so I am definitely making the switch. Not that there is anything wrong with the Domain but for trail-riding the weight and lack of small-bump sensitivity aren't things I want to regret.

JC, I contacted CRC and they do have 21 Z1 RC2 forks in stock. I also have a lead on a reasonably-priced Lyrik coil U-turn. Tough decision between them.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ended up finding buyers for both Domains so I am definitely making the switch. Not that there is anything wrong with the Domain but for trail-riding the weight and lack of small-bump sensitivity aren't things I want to regret.

JC, I contacted CRC and they do have 21 Z1 RC2 forks in stock. I also have a lead on a reasonably-priced Lyrik coil U-turn. Tough decision between them.

Dave
    Why would you buy a Lyrik if you don't like the Domain don't they both share Mission, Motion control damper's ? The Z1 is an excellent fork.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast