mtbr member
    Dec 2004

best fork for rfx?

So I am late to the turner game but I absolutely love my 08 rfx. Picked up a nice used one and now I am hooked, this thing is solid and tracks awesome. Perfect for east coast rooty rocky stuff. I had read somewhere the best axle to crown which the bike was designed for but cant seem to find it. Anyone know this?

Have an older 66 light on the bike but am looking to lighten it up some. Was thinking a van36 coil cause I am not sure I want to go air. Anyone found the perfect fork for the rfx?

mtbr member
    Go lyrik with the dh Damper - plusher than a van 36 imho

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    +1 on the Lyrik. Every time I ride with someone on a Fox fork there seems to be a leak somewhere.

I've had great luck with a Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti on my RFX if you want to stick with a coil. The DH damper on the Lyrik coupled with the solo air spring so far has been the best "light" fork option I've ridden (different frame and a tapered steerer these days).

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

MW
    mtbr member
    Geo for the 07/08 RFX was penned around a 535mm a-c fork: Turner RFX 2008. But if you search posts by "turnerbikes" on this forum, you'll find that DT knew and fully intended that more aggressive riders would run longer forks . . . up to and including, if I'm not mistaken, the Marz 66 line.

Anyway, I just went through my own version of "which fork" for an 08 RFX. Passed on the Marz 66 coils (listed 568mm a-c) because they're tanks and because I didn't want the added bottom bracket height. Looked seriously at the Marz 55RC3Ti coil (5.4lbs, 546mm for the 160mm models), the RS Lyrik RC2L/DH coil (5.4lbs, 545mm at 160mm), and the Fox VAN RC2 (5.2lbs, 545mm at 160mm). With a bigger budget, I was sold on a Lyrik RC2L u-turn coil. As it was, it came down to watching the classifieds for a deal, and I ended up with a factory-rebuilt VAN RC2 for four bills and called it a day.

Two notes: 1) take all of this with a grain of salt since I have -zero- hours on any of the forks mentioned above, and 2) having said that, I'd expect a 55, a Lyrik, or a VAN to pair very well with the RFX if you're wanting a coil that keeps you near Turner's spec'd geometry.

Odd thing: don't think I came across a single 535mm a-c fork in my search . . . closest were 10mm over, which knocks a bit off the HTA (not a bad thing, just fyi).

Have fun,

--Matt

Yes, that's fonetic
    I got my RFX from Turner in '08 as an Interbike demo and they built it with a Float 36. Never had a leak (@MK) or any problems. That bike, along with some friends who were progressing at the same time, did more to up my skill level than any I've ever owned....love that bike (although it is up for sale now). I liked the Float enough to put a new one on my '11 Spot.

bump and grind
    Ive had the RFX with a Van36R for about 2 years, then another RFX with a Lyrik coil u turn (not the DH damper). Both forks are plush, although the Lyrik DH are reportedly plusher. I prefer the Lyrik, stiff, plush, has some damping control and travel adjust, and reasonable price.

mtbr member
    55RC3Ti all the way. Lyrik 160 with DH damper works great, but few of my friends rides it and all of them had some reliability issues (mostly leaks from MissonControl top cap). Fox Van/Vanilla are by far the best working Fox's forks, but it still can't match Marzocchi in plushness and bottom out control. Fox is either plush or ready for big hits, with 55 you get both.

aka DJ Papi
    Go for the LYRIC SOLO AIR DH RC2 - set at 170mm. Best fork for RFX... hardly any issues with this fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I am not sure the what the head angle and bottom bracket height are but it seems to handle fine with the 66 on it. Just too heavy and I have seen rfx builds close to 30 lbs. I think I will go with a 36 or lyric if I can find one used. Although I guess marzocchi has a trade in program which I will look into, I read the 55 was sorta a flop( maybe the older ones) and needed a lot of mods to make decent. I just want something that works right, so I guess that is either lyric or 36. Thanks

mtbr member
    Coil Lyrik on my 6 Pack. Love it. Got some off-set bushings on the way to drop the BB at tad.

The leaky mission/motion control is easily fixed with a better after market o-ring. Mine was done 2 years ago and no leaks despite being stored upside down.

Love my 6 Pack. My 09 Spot is gathering dust....

May wait for the 12 5 Spot with the ISCG tabs.

BMF
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by emrs0414 View Post
    Go for the LYRIC SOLO AIR DH RC2 - set at 170mm. Best fork for RFX... hardly any issues with this fork.
    I had a Z1FR1 on my RFX. The bike really came alive when I put the 170mm LYRIC SOLO AIR DH RC2 on it. I absolutely love this bike now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    another vote for coil lyrik u-turns. brilliant fork. I've also run mine with Totem coild DH's at 180mm travel and the bike is a blast then.
    but it is much better with the lyriks.

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    quoted for truth. the lyrik DH with mission con is a great versatile trail fork that can handle some legit DH. I had the 66 with ETA on my rfx and love the lyrik on my delirium.

IT WILL ROCK

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I came from a TALAS 36 and switched to a Lyrik Coil with the floodgate removed. Such a big difference! Love the plush coil front.

I've heard nothing but good things about the New Marz 55 RC3 Ti forks. It's tough to beat a good coil fork if the weight does not bother you. If you were looking for an air fork, the Lyric Solo Air @170 is the way to go.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got a marzocchi 55 rc3 Ti on my `08 RFX,I also got a -1,5 degree headset from SaarG7
    This is the best 160mm fork I have used
    The slacker headangle is an improvement from stock in my opinion

Previously I have used a `07 Z1 rc2 Light and a `06 66 rc2 sl

Making fat cool since '71
    Late to the game here...but I've had a '08 36 talas, Z1 light and now a '06 66 light on my '08 RFX. I preferred the bike with the 36 on it, will probably put it back on. I did have one "run" on an '07 RFX with the Lyrik DH this summer and that would be my fork of choice for that bike...if I had any dough to spend...but I'm broke like a joke so making due with what's in the parts bins.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    I came from a TALAS 36 and switched to a Lyrik Coil with the floodgate removed. Such a big difference! Love the plush coil front.
    Can you (or anyone else with experience) tell me more about the Lyrik Coil U-Turn with floodgate removed? this does not give you the DH damper, I'm assuming, but it seems to be somewhat of a compromise if you needd to keep the travel at 160mm, and want to go coil. It really sucks that allmost no one has a 160mm coil fork right now. Losing my mind right now, trying not to get a 160mm air fork. I weigh 220 pounds, and would like to try coil before air on my 5 Spot. Appreciate any and all help/insight.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    Can you (or anyone else with experience) tell me more about the Lyrik Coil U-Turn with floodgate removed? this does not give you the DH damper, I'm assuming, but it seems to be somewhat of a compromise if you needd to keep the travel at 160mm, and want to go coil. It really sucks that allmost no one has a 160mm coil fork right now. Losing my mind right now, trying not to get a 160mm air fork. I weigh 220 pounds, and would like to try coil before air on my 5 Spot. Appreciate any and all help/insight.
    It isn't the same as the DH damper; that one has a shimstack. The floodgate is effectively a platform so removing it removes the platform; you do lose quite a bit of low speed compression damping. Here is a link to the mod:
    Totem/Lyrik Floodgate Mod Video - Pinkbike

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Thanks MK. Man...it truly seems that everything is a compromise from what I really want. Why the. Sudden shift to 170mm coil forks by all these manufacturers. I'd do anything to be building this bike up a few years ago. Hate to spend almost $1000 for a fork I don't want. Any suggestions that trump the modded U-Turn Coil?

Oh, and pardon the typos. My phone's keyboard has a mind of its own.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    Thanks MK. Man...it truly seems that everything is a compromise from what I really want. Why the. Sudden shift to 170mm coil forks by all these manufacturers. I'd do anything to be building this bike up a few years ago. Hate to spend almost $1000 for a fork I don't want. Any suggestions that trump the modded U-Turn Coil?

Oh, and pardon the typos. My phone's keyboard has a mind of its own.
    You can always upgrade the damper to the DH one. Depending on whether the fork has a dual flow rebound or not, it could be as easy as unscrewing the mission control from the top of the crown and installing mission DH. Or get a 170mm coil (without u-turn) and covert it to 160mm.

Or better yet, get a 160mm Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti. That fork trumps the Lyrik coil in every way. Pre-2012s were 160mm. I've had one for a long while and the reliability was back up to pre-Taiwan switch era.

_MK

mtbr member
    Ohh, I didn't know you could upgrade the damper. That's tight! As far aas what I've been readin, you can't lower the 170 to 160, unless you do some sort of spring modification as well. Mixed reviewws on that.

The only issue with the 160mm 55 RC3 forks is the lack of springs for guys my size (240 geared up). Folks report that the air assist ruins small bump sensitivity. The U-Turn with upgraded damper will be costly, but likely the most practical.

I wish the 55's were coil only with or spring options, or the DH Coil was in 160 and 170 form. Gotta take what I can get though, I guess. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anythin, and thanks again for your help. Means a lot.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Here is a link to all parts that comprise the Lyrik (pg 51-53):
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/AD..._spc_rev_c.pdf

Given how the air spring works (adjusting travel) I don't see why a 10mm spacer wouldn't work with the coil but then I don't have first hand experience with the non-u-turn coil; just lots of experience tearing these apart.

And yea, at 240, that may exceed the air assist's range for a good feeling fork.

_MK

mtbr member
    I just called RS, and they said the 170 can't be converted too 160. Boooooo!! Haha! They think the U-Turn damper upgrade is my only option, unless I wanna go 170. I bet all of these companies will release 160m coil forks next year, just to rub it in my face, that I decided to build up between years.

mtbr member
    Heretic,
    Try calling X-Fusion (831) 221-5047, I believe their Vengeance HLR Coil (170mm) can be reduced to 160mm. If they have it in stock they will reduce the travel for you. Or go to The Bike Company - Powered by ironfly internet they offer a Vengeance Coil at 160mm. X-Fusion make great products that performs as good or better than the big TWO at a significantly lower price point.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Thanks jjkitt! I'm looking into that immediately, and am also considering their Vengeance HLR air fork as well, if the coil doesn't work out.

mtbr member
    Mine has an old 36 Float RC2 (I've also used a Lyrik Solo Air). It has been a stellar fork. Maybe I got llucky.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Any new opinions with all the changes in the suspension arena over the past year for options for my RFX? My 07 36 float has finally given up the ghost. Would love to hear what everyone thinks about what I should be looking at now that Marzzochi has lost half there staff (and half their line), Fox no longer makes a 36 Van 160, and X-fusion continues to get great reviews. I am about 200lbs and will be moving to SLC from Seattle in a few months. Lots of longer climbs there I am seeing with more loose-fast-flowy downs that here in Seattle it looks like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdnorm View Post
    Any new opinions with all the changes in the suspension arena over the past year for options for my RFX? My 07 36 float has finally given up the ghost. Would love to hear what everyone thinks about what I should be looking at now that Marzzochi has lost half there staff (and half their line), Fox no longer makes a 36 Van 160, and X-fusion continues to get great reviews. I am about 200lbs and will be moving to SLC from Seattle in a few months. Lots of longer climbs there I am seeing with more loose-fast-flowy downs that here in Seattle it looks like.
    What about a Float 34 CTD?

Edit- Ooops, never mind. The 34's only come in tapered.

mtbr member
    If you want a coil check out the X-Fusion vengeance hlr coil. It comes stock with a medium spring (for people at 160lbs), you'll need an extra firm spring (orange) for your weight. I know X-Fusion in out of the orange spring for a month. Also the vengeance comes at 170mm. It can be lowered by any competent bike shop to 160mm. Instructions are on the X-Fusion website. You can buy direct from X-Fusion or bikeco.com among other sites.
    I have one and am pretty impressed. I believe it is available in 1 1/8th option. Best to you on your search.

Cheers
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the input. I see the X-fusion comes in 160 and 170. Would you guys recommend going for the 160 to minimize the A-C distance?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I see the X-fusion comes in 160 and 170. Would you guys recommend going for the 160 to minimize the A-C distance?
    gdnorm,
    I lowered mine to 160mm but not primarily to reduce the A2C height. I didn't need the 170mm travel on my Spot, or want to rake out out, and also wanted to minimize the raising of the BB (I guess the last part has to do with A2C).

The cool thing is adjusting travel on the X-Fusions (Coil or Air) is pretty simple if you have a competent mechanic at your local shop or if you feel comfortable with following the directions on their website. The air is just a 10mm spacer (you can use FOX, RS, or call X-Fusion for one), the coil is a 30 min procedure (basically changing the oil and adjusting a travel reducer internal).

So what I'm trying to say is if you want, run it a 170mm and if you want to lower to 160mm it's about a 2 beer job.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Awesome info. Are the 160's online able to convert back to 170 if wanted? I am assuming so but thought I would ask.

mtbr member
    Awesome info. Are the 160's online able to convert back to 170 if wanted? I am assuming so but thought I would ask.
    The Vengeance comes at 170mm. If you buy from bikeco.com or direct from X-Fusion they can adjust the travel for you at a minimal charge. If you going for the coil be aware it comes stock with a medium (green) coil and is for someone who is 160lbs. If you are a different weight (and who is 160lbs anymore??) you have to buy a separate coil, and I think they are out of the firm (blue) and extra firm (orange) until next month. I had to get my firm and extra firm from dealers in Canada and Israel (of all places,who would have thunk it!) Check out they coil chart http://www.xfusionshox.com/images/pd...ring_Chart.pdf
    If you call X-Fusion, call John Valera
    X-Fusion-Shox USA
    USA Sales/Service Manager
    jvalera@xfusionshox.com

He is pretty darn cool and always gets back to me super quick!

Cheers,