mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Best 2x10 Crankset - Czar Build

Looking for input on the best 2x10 crankset for my Czar build. Full XTR build with XTR Direct Mount 2x10 front derailleur. I have ordered a Race Face Next SL 2x10 for the light weight but it is on backorder and the remainder of bike parts will be available sooner thus want to get something else so build can be completed. Looking for low weight and durable. What is the best? XTR, FSA, Race Face or something else? Thanks for all suggestions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzydogg View Post
    Looking for input on the best 2x10 crankset for my Czar build. Full XTR build with XTR Direct Mount 2x10 front derailleur. I have ordered a Race Face Next SL 2x10 for the light weight but it is on backorder and the remainder of bike parts will be available sooner thus want to get something else so build can be completed. Looking for low weight and durable. What is the best? XTR, FSA, Race Face or something else? Thanks for all suggestions.
    Obviously not the best but if you want something to get you by until you get the crankset you want, BlueSkyCycling has the new SLX cranksets on sale for $99.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot the Czar is PF. Not worth the time/effort/money going with the SLX for the time being.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That SLX crank would work fine as a placeholder until your RF crank arrives. Install it with the Wheels Mfg./EE system, then pop out the adapters when your RF crank arrives.

I went XT with that setup on my Czar, and it worked fine. If I were doing it over again with a Shimano crank, I MIGHT use a Praxis adapter because it looks like a well thought out approach, but real-world experience and longevity information seems a bit thin.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the ideas. I'd rather not add to the parts bin so looking for a permanent one time solution. I don't mind waiting for the Race Face but since I have some time to wait and can change with no penalty, I'd like to see if RF is indeed the best (subjective I know but they seem to be lightest) or if there is another crankset I should get instead. The FSA setup on the Czar build thread look pretty sweet though I don't know anything about them.

I could ask it a different way: What is the best, bar-none, irrespective of cost 2x10 crankset on the market. I'm sure the bike and components will be way above the needs of my modest skill set but since I'm getting everything top of the line might as well see if the RF cranks are the best.

Thanks again for any opinions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    When I weigh all the factors, I end up going with Shimano every time. For me, XT, but XTR has the same strengths.

I've had fine luck with SRAM cranks, also, when they came on pre-built bikes, but when I disassemble/clean/reassemble, I end up thinking they are needlessly complex.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

E13 TRS race crankset. 700 something grams when configured as a 2x10. I like that the gearing starts at 22x36 so you don't loose those nice low gears for long grinds.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Kiwi that Flew

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    E13 TRS race crankset. 700 something grams when configured as a 2x10. I like that the gearing starts at 22x36 so you don't loose those nice low gears for long grinds.
    E13 is my choice if money was no object.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Test rode a e13 cranked Ripley back to back with an XT and XTR one and I thought the e13 front shifting was ok but no way as nice as with Shimano rings. Talked with a couple of the LBS wrenches who are setting them up and got the same reaction - ok but not Shimano. XTR FD seems to do better with them than the XT FD.

I'd go XTR personally or wait on the RF for the weight savings
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Kiwi that Flew

Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Test rode a e13 cranked Ripley back to back with an XT and XTR one and I thought the e13 front shifting was ok but no way as nice as with Shimano rings. Talked with a couple of the LBS wrenches who are setting them up and got the same reaction - ok but not Shimano. XTR FD seems to do better with them than the XT FD.

I'd go XTR personally or wait on the RF for the weight savings
    I think everyone would agree with you that nothing beats Shimano for shift quality. The attraction for me with the E13 is their spidered crank. This can be a single or double offering. Add to this they are supposedly very stiff cranks. (I'd be putting it on a Burner or Spot)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    I think everyone would agree with you that nothing beats Shimano for shift quality. The attraction for me with the E13 is their spidered crank. This can be a single or double offering. Add to this they are supposedly very stiff cranks. (I'd be putting it on a Burner or Spot)
    Understand. I was originally pretty interested in that crank because of the spider options and bash integration. I use a XO crank right now for the spider less/ spider option. The crank itself looks very nice and is stiff just found the shifting to be noticeably poorer and I've run mixed sets with pretty much everyone else's rings - SRAM, RF, Blackspire not just Shimano and usually a Shimano FD smoothes out a lot.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks to all for the ideas. Looks like the RF being shipped this week so I'm sticking with it. I'm hoping the approx 100 gram savings is worth the possible shift quality and lack of preload adjustability vs XTR. I'll report back once the bike is built with results.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

For the best shifting with rings, wickworks rings actually work better than Shimano. Used a set when I converted to 2x10 and like the quick shifting. The absolute best shifting in the front is a hammerschmit (have one on my freeride bike). The downside is efficiency and the thing is a tank.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    What about Cannondale's SiSL2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Cannondale looks pretty impressive. Anyone know if the 2x10 is on the market yet and if it mounts up to the Czar?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzydogg View Post
    Since I work at a Specialized dealer, I'm thinking of trying out their S-Works carbon cranks arms with the 38-24 spider. Not sure if it's any better or worse than the SRAM X.0 crank (my first choice), but I thought I'd mention it.