mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Bent dropout fix?

I caught a stick last night while on a moderate climb on the Flux. You know the one, where it pushes the cage into the spokes and a quarter turn later off snaps your hanger. Well this time the hanger didn't break but the dropout bent pretty severely.
    Managed to get it bent back enough to remount the rear der. The XO was bit out of shape but amazingly worked well.
    My question for you guys is whats the best way to straighten the dropout while I'm waiting for replacement seatstays? TIA

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    a good shop will have some alighnment tools for this and should get it close enough to ride for a few days. sorry to hear the news. how much for flux/spot stays these days?
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    If you slip a crescent wrench over it and bend gently, that may work, but aluminum only likes to move once. A better way can be to pound it with a hammer. No, I'm not kidding. Lay the dropout on a very flat, very hard surface, (large vices will often have an anvil spot on them) and using a large, smooth faced hammer, gently tap the dropout until it conforms with the shape (flat) of the anvil. THis will also mush the alu thinner and change the shape of it, so I would have the derailleur hanger installed when you do this for support.

Good luck.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

No, that's not phonetic
    stupid forum software....
    Last edited by tscheezy; 03-16-2006 at 10:01 AM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

that might work.
    No, I'm NOT back!

that might work
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

Success!

A combination of flattenning with a hammer and bending in a vice did the trick. Didn't break or crack. It doesn't look as pretty as it used to but its not half bad. Man its nerve racking when have to put so much force on a weakened piece of aluminum. Amazed at how much leverage a rd stuck in a wheel has, I mean, that tab was still rugged as hell even after being mangled.

Anyway it gave me a chance to pull the bushings apart and have a look. Glad I did. The main pivot was a little loose.

A new stay is on its way from Turner, but at least I'll be able to ride until then. Thanks for the help.