Thread: Which BB

what...?

Which BB

I was sold on the external BB/spindled crank system, today.

Want to stay with Raceface cranks, but I'm hearing the RF X type BB's aren't popular....

Enduro looks to make a nice BB, big balls and all.

Can anyone enlighten me?
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

Knolliac
    I love the Enduro bottom bracket cups. I have been running a set of ceramics for 2 years (with Shimano and FSA cranks) with zero issues. Very, very smooth and durable.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yes. the stock cups are fine but the stock rf bearings are kinda piss poor and wont last long. replace em with enduro bearings and smile, smile, smile. that is after yer done messin with the setup. rf's are a bit of a pain. have ya considered xt's? despite the soft rings, its about the best overall compromise of weight/strength/cost/longevity out there and set up easy even if yer a drunk monkey armed with only a hammer and a pry bar.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr
    I was sold on the external BB/spindled crank system, today.

Want to stay with Raceface cranks, but I'm hearing the RF X type BB's aren't popular....

Enduro looks to make a nice BB, big balls and all.

Can anyone enlighten me?
    Pity, Shimano has a much better interface system than Race Face. Race Face essentially uses a taper-fit interface, requiring a huge allen wrench (something like 12mm I think) to pull the cranks, using a self-extracting system like back on square and ISIS interfaces. Essentially it's much more of a pain in the butt compared to the shimano system, which uses pinch-bolts and not much torque. It's far easier to take shimano cranks off than race face. There's also the issue that every time you take off/install the RF cranks you put some wear on the interface, which won't happen with the pinch-bolt style used by Shimano and a few others. Then there's the issue of the hollow crank arms, better stiffness/strength to weight than anything else. Although crank stiffness and strength is important, the interface is a deal-breaker for me. RF doesn't make bad cranks, it's just that the shimano interface is much better.

Then there's the bearings. I'm not easy on bikes, but the shimano XT bearings (same as LX as well) lasted me a few seasons until I replaced them with the Enduro bearings. I repacked the original shimano bearings twice in their lifetime, but "upgraded" to the enduros because I was buying some other stuff from enduro at the time and figured "why not?". Supposedly the shimano bearings have held up a lot better than RF, but you'll find the odd person that says the reverse is true. In any case, if I can bash XT cranks for a few seasons the bearings should NOT a be a problem, at least on those cranks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

what...?
    Hmmm....just read another thread about the Atlas crank bolts coming loose. I really would like to use RF, my Turbines are 10 years old and in perfect condition.

But being the true Turner poseur, a critical deciding factor here is the cranks must be black.
    I know
    I know

maybe saint hollowtechs?

theres a big diff between the ease of use of the old turbine lp's and the new x types. slx's are black. so is a can of krylon.
    No, I'm NOT back!

what...?
    Right.....I forgot all about my secret...

as lame as it is, ive done that.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    My Atlas's have been nice and stiff but the bearings definitely leave something to be desired.

The Pacific Northwest can be hard on bearings but I had to swap mine twice in one season. I installed Phil Wood bearings and havenít had to touch them in more than a year.

Iíll be switching to the XTís for the reasons stated above on the DW Spot build.

ride
    2nd on the XTs. Run 'em until the bearings die, then replace the bearings with Enduros. Plus, the Enduro replacement bearings fit directly bearing to crank spindle without that stupid plastic spacer thingy.

XTs have better adjustment than the RaceFaces. Shimanos adjust like a threadless headset, whereas the RF you have to shim with washers to get bearing tension correct.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Agreed, I went with RF a couple years back for the same reason - earlier cranks from them had been great and trouble free. Their new outboard stuff leaves a bit to be desired.

My next crankset will be XT

mtbr member
    Personally I run an FSA with Phil Wood bearings. Buttery smooth and very well sealed.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    Personally I run an FSA with Phil Wood bearings. Buttery smooth and very well sealed.
    Just curious, does that mean you were able to put the Phil bearings into FSA cups?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Just curious, does that mean you were able to put the Phil bearings into FSA cups?
    Indeed. after I burned out the fsa bearings I replaced them with the PW. What an awesome upgrade.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Good to know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    One more vote for externals with a pinch bolt interface (shimano, gravity light, etc) over the tapered/smash/wear interface.

I went through 3 sets of RF cranks (2 diobolus, and one atlas) that ALL failed at the press fit interface. THey would last somewhere between 4 and 5 removal/instal cycles before the interface wore to a point where the crank arm would rock back and forth on the spindle with the fixing bolt bottomed......

IMO, the 'spacers to adjust bearing preload', are a bad design as well. It is FAR to easy to over load the bearings and IMO is a big contributor to the short life of RF bb bearings. There is a reason the headsets are adjusted by an continous threaded adjuster...not just be removal are instalation of fixed length spacers....

banned
    I vote Shimano, and Truvativ's GXP interface works quite well also. I just serviced my gf's bb last night in the bathtub and it was remarkably clean, despite three years without service. The grease had dried a bit, creating a less than smooth feel. I was hping the bearings would be shot, in an effort to give her my new Stylo GXP and then get an AM SLX for myself.

I dig the extraction method on the TV design, with a self- extractor that hasn't loosened on either of us and doesn't use pinch bolts.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 01-19-2009 at 01:51 AM.