Bite Me.

Bash Ring - Front Mech Question

I installed a bash ring on the RFX crankset. I have not adjusted the front derailleur position on the seat tube at all. Currently the derailleur is set a little high so that the chain grinds on the bottom of the chain cage when the bike's in the work stand but is totally quiet when you are on the bike and the suspension compresses a bit. With the big chain ring gone, the FD looks a little odd with the big gap exposed between the cage in the middle ring position and the top of the bash ring. I'm inclined to leave it where it is so the chainstay yoke does not hit the chain cage on full compression. It shifts perfectly now - what have the other Homers done?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

No, that's not phonetic
    Do. Not. Move. It.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Bite Me.
    Thank. You. That's. What. I. Figured.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

+1 here

'08 RFX. Race Face Atlas crankset. Race Face Bashguard. Heim 2 ring guide. X9 FD. Rubs in the stand. Not on the Trail. Looks like this. It's OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check out the new 2-ring specific SLX front derailleur. Very visually and functionally clean setup when using dual ring + bash.
    __o
    _-\<,
    (_)/(_)____ Sigmund | Norway

jrm
    mtbr member

i installed a SLX compact FD

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I installed a bash ring on the RFX crankset. I have not adjusted the front derailleur position on the seat tube at all. Currently the derailleur is set a little high so that the chain grinds on the bottom of the chain cage when the bike's in the work stand but is totally quiet when you are on the bike and the suspension compresses a bit. With the big chain ring gone, the FD looks a little odd with the big gap exposed between the cage in the middle ring position and the top of the bash ring. I'm inclined to leave it where it is so the chainstay yoke does not hit the chain cage on full compression. It shifts perfectly now - what have the other Homers done?
    The cage is shorter so it doesnt come even close to anything during compression.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    '08 RFX. Race Face Atlas crankset. Race Face Bashguard. Heim 2 ring guide. X9 FD. Rubs in the stand. Not on the Trail. Looks like this. It's OK.
    Steve, there's a speck of dirt on your bike
    Astigmatic Visionary

Captain Underpants
    Replace, It. With. One. Of. These.

mtbr member

I think you need to have your eyes checked!

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Steve, there's a speck of dirt on your bike
    Get a new pair of glasses - dirt on my bike - NO WAY!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    The cage is shorter so it doesnt come even close to anything during compression.

Same here, mine's working great so far.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    using the new SLX Double ring (22T To 32T) will force you to install the driller lower as it use smaller / shorter cage, old rear triangle are flat So at the point they are vulnerable at full shox compression.

Do not change the height, only after checking that it don't crash your rear triangle (remove all air from shox and see).
    Be Lucky

Gadi.
    ----
    -------- __o
    -------_`\_<,\
    ------@/ \@

dressed to play
    You don't have to replace it, just move it down a bit. It'll look better and function just as well.

mtbr member
    I've got an SLX on a 08 RFX, sitting right on top of a 34t Raceface bashguard. Shifts great, and I unbolted the shock and it doesn't come anywhere near hitting anything at full compression.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by gadibob
    using the new SLX Double ring (22T To 32T) will force you to install the driller lower as it use smaller / shorter cage, old rear triangle are flat So at the point they are vulnerable at full shox compression.
    Shorter cage on the SLX allows you to run it lower without hitting the swingarm. Go back and look at the picture. I have 2mm clearance between the cage and bashguard and I do not contact the swingarm at full compression.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarhero
    You don't have to replace it, just move it down a bit. It'll look better and function just as well.
    If he does, his FDER will probably contact the swingarm on full compression.

Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007
    I've got an SLX on a 08 RFX, sitting right on top of a 34t Raceface bashguard. Shifts great, and I unbolted the shock and it doesn't come anywhere near hitting anything at full compression.
    Exactly.