Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,546

    Bash Ring - Front Mech Question

    I installed a bash ring on the RFX crankset. I have not adjusted the front derailleur position on the seat tube at all. Currently the derailleur is set a little high so that the chain grinds on the bottom of the chain cage when the bike's in the work stand but is totally quiet when you are on the bike and the suspension compresses a bit. With the big chain ring gone, the FD looks a little odd with the big gap exposed between the cage in the middle ring position and the top of the bash ring. I'm inclined to leave it where it is so the chainstay yoke does not hit the chain cage on full compression. It shifts perfectly now - what have the other Homers done?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  2. #2
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    Do. Not. Move. It.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  3. #3
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,546
    Thank. You. That's. What. I. Figured.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steve47co1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    986

    +1 here

    '08 RFX. Race Face Atlas crankset. Race Face Bashguard. Heim 2 ring guide. X9 FD. Rubs in the stand. Not on the Trail. Looks like this. It's OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    88
    Check out the new 2-ring specific SLX front derailleur. Very visually and functionally clean setup when using dual ring + bash.
    __o
    _-\<,
    (_)/(_)____ Sigmund | Norway

  6. #6
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,260

    i installed a SLX compact FD

    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I installed a bash ring on the RFX crankset. I have not adjusted the front derailleur position on the seat tube at all. Currently the derailleur is set a little high so that the chain grinds on the bottom of the chain cage when the bike's in the work stand but is totally quiet when you are on the bike and the suspension compresses a bit. With the big chain ring gone, the FD looks a little odd with the big gap exposed between the cage in the middle ring position and the top of the bash ring. I'm inclined to leave it where it is so the chainstay yoke does not hit the chain cage on full compression. It shifts perfectly now - what have the other Homers done?
    The cage is shorter so it doesnt come even close to anything during compression.

  7. #7
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,948
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    '08 RFX. Race Face Atlas crankset. Race Face Bashguard. Heim 2 ring guide. X9 FD. Rubs in the stand. Not on the Trail. Looks like this. It's OK.
    Steve, there's a speck of dirt on your bike
    Astigmatic Visionary

  8. #8
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    Replace, It. With. One. Of. These.


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steve47co1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    986

    I think you need to have your eyes checked!

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Steve, there's a speck of dirt on your bike
    Get a new pair of glasses - dirt on my bike - NO WAY!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    The cage is shorter so it doesnt come even close to anything during compression.

    Same here, mine's working great so far.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    60
    using the new SLX Double ring (22T To 32T) will force you to install the driller lower as it use smaller / shorter cage, old rear triangle are flat So at the point they are vulnerable at full shox compression.

    Do not change the height, only after checking that it don't crash your rear triangle (remove all air from shox and see).
    Be Lucky

    Gadi.
    ----
    -------- __o
    -------_`\_<,\
    ------@/ \@
    ******************

  12. #12
    dressed to play
    Reputation: guitarhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    197
    You don't have to replace it, just move it down a bit. It'll look better and function just as well.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,211
    I've got an SLX on a 08 RFX, sitting right on top of a 34t Raceface bashguard. Shifts great, and I unbolted the shock and it doesn't come anywhere near hitting anything at full compression.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  14. #14
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by gadibob
    using the new SLX Double ring (22T To 32T) will force you to install the driller lower as it use smaller / shorter cage, old rear triangle are flat So at the point they are vulnerable at full shox compression.
    Shorter cage on the SLX allows you to run it lower without hitting the swingarm. Go back and look at the picture. I have 2mm clearance between the cage and bashguard and I do not contact the swingarm at full compression.

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarhero
    You don't have to replace it, just move it down a bit. It'll look better and function just as well.
    If he does, his FDER will probably contact the swingarm on full compression.

    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007
    I've got an SLX on a 08 RFX, sitting right on top of a 34t Raceface bashguard. Shifts great, and I unbolted the shock and it doesn't come anywhere near hitting anything at full compression.
    Exactly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •