mtbr member

Bash Guard dilemma

Requesting advice from the clan - On my 5 spot I use my big ring often but I want a bash guard to protect that ring. It's already suffered a few rock smacks without permanent damage but I know it's only a matter of time.

Does anyone have any experience with the Black Spire Big Ring Protector? This looks like it's just what the doctor ordered other than being a heavy bastard at 350 grams. Any shifting issues? Is the extra weight noticed when climbing?

Thanks in advance.

C
    Last edited by CalEpic; 10-21-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Rides like wrecking ball
    No experience with that model, but I've used the "Tooth Fairy" with a triple with great results. It's available from any LBS that orders from Quality (aka QBP). Maybe you can find it online too, I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

... I guess you won't be
    keep your big ring - I have two years on my RF big ring and have ruined the 5-6+ teeth that are exposed to rocks when you coast over stuff that gets your chainring.....I filed my bashed chainring teeth down to smooth nubs and still have at least 38 quality teeth on the chainring to keep me going on those long road sections.....file the offending/damaged teeth down and keep your big ring - you got nothing to loose!

You won't miss the extra teeth and you will have a really fun to look at chainring!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    Requesting advice from the clan - On my 5 spot I use my big ring often but I want a bash guard to protect that ring. It's already suffered a few rock smacks without permanent damage but I know it's only a matter of time.

Does anyone have any experience with the Black Spire Big Ring Protector? This looks like it's just what the doctor ordered other than being a heavy bastard at 350 grams. Any shifting issues? Is the extra weight noticed when climbing?

Thanks in advance.

C
    Salsa makes a chainring guard that works with 3 rings, and is a lot lighter than the Blackspire.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry