Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    No, that's not phonetic

Smile Barny rides again...

After a bit of a bike hiatus, Barny is back in the saddle. She loved her XCE, but we sold it to a good home down in NorCal, so it was time for a new steed. What else? A 5-Spot!

We took it on its maiden voyage (no pun intended) this afternoon after work. The light was fading so the pics are a little grainy, but I will add more (including action shots- you know me ) in due course.

Showing the skilz have not faded:

Last edited by tscheezy; 10-25-2005 at 09:13 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

No, that's not phonetic
    The shiny bits:

* Frame Size & Color: Small 5-Spot, matte black w/ DHX Air
    * Fork: Pike Dual Air
    * Brakes: Magura FR 180/160
    * Cranks: Old school XTR w/ LX spider to run compact rings, Salsa bashring
    * Bottom Bracket: XTR
    * Front Derailleur: XTR
    * Rear Derailleur: Sram X.9
    * Pedals: Sh!mano 959
    * Stem: Thomson Elite 100x5
    * Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite Carbon
    * Seatpost: Thomson Elite 410mm
    * Saddle: WTB Laser Stealth Ti
    * Cassette: XT 11-34
    * Headset: King
    * Grips: ODI lockons
    * Front Tire: Nokian Dual 2.3
    * Front Rim: Syncros DP25
    * Front Hub/Skewer: King ISO 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Nokian Dual 2.3
    * Rear Rim: Syncros DP25
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: King ISO/Salsa

Oh yeah, THANKS LARRY, THANKS DT!!
    Last edited by tscheezy; 10-25-2005 at 08:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sweet bike...congrats

Alaska Turner Mafia

Very nice

Great news, glad to hear it. May it bring Barny miles of smiles. The build definitely reeks of your preferences, all the good stuff.

Rando
    Last edited by EndoRando; 10-25-2005 at 09:44 PM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    wow. i didnt know you could put a lx spyder on 952's. i just tried a xt and it was a definate no go. always thought the spline on the xtr was half the thickness of lx and xt and the lower profile of the 952 arm required the spyder to have a path cut into it to avoid interference. did ya do somethin special or was i wrong all this time? like thats news to everyone.

i just scored a 4 arm compact xtr spyder and e 13 bash guard for my 952's from BTI. mounted it up this afternoon with some bontrager rings i had layin around and man it looks sweet plus it gives me the 22/32 i wanted and wasnt sure i could get till last week. just a few more bits and ill be ready for the frame to show up. i just approved the color sample dt sent so it wont be long now. well acctually odus approved it with a sniff and a lick so it must be ok.

great lookin ride ms cheese. love the black anno! one of the reasons its so hard to part with my homegrown frame.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Feeding your addiction
    WHAT??? I can't believe it's already there and built. That's funny, the tracking # said "scheduled delivery October 28". That's cool, glad to see it's built up and she's already riding it.
    Larry Mettler
    Mountain High Cyclery
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

No, that's not phonetic
    The LX spider did need some heavy mods to work. They are thicker than the XTR crank wants to accept with grace.

Yeah, I was surprised as all heck to see the Brown Santa radar showing the box going from SoCal to Kentucky to Anchorage in about two business days. Just a short hop to Kodiak from there and it was on the porch by noon, 3 days early. I took a pile of parts I had left after the sale of my XCE frame, swiped the fork off my Spot (and put the 04 Z1 [thanks again, Larry ] back on that bike) and had the sucker built in about 90 minutes. Barny DIGS it. "It's so squishy!" That's Barnyspeak for stupid-plush.

kinda thought so cheese. that musta been a helluvalotta work, man! impressive stuff as usual.

heres the fix if the rest of you dont have whatever magic he has in his tool box. just ask yer lbs for BTI part # SH-20601. is a spyder/adaptor to fit a XTR 953/750 crank and mount compact 64/104 bc rings. its black and its beautiful and will set ya back about $45 or $50.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Roy
    mtbr member
    That matte black is just very well done. I'm surprised you went with the DHX air instead of your beloved RP3.
    Good to see the romance has returned.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    wow. i didnt know you could put a lx spyder on 952's. i just tried a xt and it was a definate no go. always thought the spline on the xtr was half the thickness of lx and xt and the lower profile of the 952 arm required the spyder to have a path cut into it to avoid interference. did ya do somethin special or was i wrong all this time? like thats news to everyone.

i just scored a 4 arm compact xtr spyder and e 13 bash guard for my 952's from BTI. mounted it up this afternoon with some bontrager rings i had layin around and man it looks sweet plus it gives me the 22/32 i wanted and wasnt sure i could get till last week. just a few more bits and ill be ready for the frame to show up. i just approved the color sample dt sent so it wont be long now. well acctually odus approved it with a sniff and a lick so it must be ok.

great lookin ride ms cheese. love the black anno! one of the reasons its so hard to part with my homegrown frame.
    I tried this very thing last night:
    Alternative m952 XTR chainrings?

Was a no-go. I am really hating the proprietary everything Shimano makes.

true. propriatary stuff is a total drag in cases like this but ya gotta admit, it sure does work sweet once its together. all ya gotta do is find the right stuff or mod the crap out of it like cheese did.

thats still amazes me. i wonder how long it took? i mean ya gotta channel over one arm to fit the spyder over the crank arm and then take off about 2mm overall thickness of material to mate it to the spline without touchin the small ring mounts or killin the whole thing. i looked at this option too and decided against it. whaddya do cheese? beat it with a salmon tail? let a kodiak bear naw on it? or do ya have a machine shop in yer bathroom?
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Larry sold me an XT spider that went right on my 952's, it fit identical to the big ring. Hmmm

Nice rig cheezer, Barney is pretty lucky to get such a nice rig with a full time mechanic too!!

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Wink Oh-o

I'd fit a steerer cap PDQ if I were you

A good looking ride none the less.
    Last edited by Farqui; 10-26-2005 at 08:28 AM.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

Bite Me.
    Oooh - BLACK and with a polished rear end no less. Very nice Tscheezy. I love that "I just threw on some spare parts that were lying around the shop" line too. Your spare parts bin is probably better stocked than my LBS! Enjoy the fall riding while it lasts.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    DHX Air... Pike... and King bits none the less. Very nice! Tell Barney I said it's good to have her back in the fold, and to get her butt down to So. Utah to break that Spot in properly.

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Oooh - BLACK and with a polished rear end no less. Very nice Tscheezy. I love that "I just threw on some spare parts that were lying around the shop" line too. Your spare parts bin is probably better stocked than my LBS! Enjoy the fall riding while it lasts.
    No doubt about that. She's a lucky girl to have that high zoot "spare" parts bin close at hand and, well, a polished rear end to boot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That's a great looking bike, TS. I'm glad to hear that you and Barney are riding together!

Team Sanchez
    So Cheese, you have a girlfriend now huh? Well there goes all your trackstanding skills. BTW, why didn't you get one of the new TNT's? You are so old school!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Happy to see she's back in business. I was already missing all those nice posts with photos of all those nice vacations in Utah... I even use your posts to encourage my GF to ride more, this year I convinced her we needed a bike vacation in Utah after showing her your extended 6-7 threads post a year or two ago with the camper and all...

Can't wait to read and look at what's coming.

... I guess you won't be
    did she say anything about those beat up salsa skewers.....?
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by seasick
    No doubt about that. She's a lucky girl to have that high zoot "spare" parts bin close at hand and, well, a polished rear end to boot.
    Um, I'm not so sure Barny will be comfortable with all this talk about her rear end.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

No, that's not phonetic
    Ride #2 took us to the top of Pillar Mountain and down some of my newer trails. Pillar is the mountain behind town of the Kodiak bike video fame. Basically every local ride for us starts with the 1,200' climb up Pillar which is a great warm-up (25 minutes of steady effort), and gives you access to a lot of cool singletrack descents I have established down the flanks.

I snapped a few pictures on top as we made our way across the summit before dropping down into the forest below where it got too dark for pics. A little climbing with the town (village?) of Kodiak in the background:

Cruising across the top of Pillar. In the background you can see some of the islands in Chiniak Bay which protect the town of Kodiak from the open Pacific:

Starting the descent back to town and the boat harbor:

Barny says a lot of the steep or more technical trail sections are noticeably easier on her Spot than on the XCE, or simply readily rideable now whereas they were at the edge of her ability before. I set her cockpit up a bit shorter (22.2" tt and 100mm stem on the Spot verses the 22.5" tt and 110 stem on the XCE) for better descending and tech work. The 6" in front and 5" in back certainly is a significant help compared her old 5"/4" setup, and the added sophistication of the current crop of shocks doesn't hurt either. Good stuff, Maynerd.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 10-26-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Silence and Thunder...

eye candy

there's a lot of beauty in those photos. Very 'easy' on the eyes! Thanks!
    ...every day sends future to past...

No, that's not phonetic
    Just another sunny day in Alaska...

The new bike is nuts. She cleaned a few sections today where I dabbed. Some other times I muddled my way through a particularly difficult root-fest and stopped to watch her or call back and suggest she be careful or should consider walking the section only to find her already through it and wondering why I was holding up progress. I can say without reservation that this bike is taking her skills to a new level.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 10-28-2005 at 05:46 PM.

i dig the smiles. smiles are good for the soul and it doesnt hurt that these are pretty smiles. love yer posts pal. thanx again for sharein all the pics, storys and tech info. you help make this place a good one cheese.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast