George Dickel
    Sep 2005

Bar width on your Turner?

I was wondering what width most people are using on their various Turners - I am in for a little experimentation (not THAT kind of experimentation). I currently have a low rise 685 mm Easton EA50 bar on my Spot. Like 'em but thought a change might be good. Suggestions, comments, flames, etc welcome.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

banned
    I use a 23" straight xc bar, 3 degree.

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Thanks JC -wow, 23"? I thought I was on the XC side for a Spot, but obviously you have me beat by a margin. Does 23" quicken the steering for you, or do you just want a lower bar? I have a straight bar around somewhere - now wondering if I should try it for a fire road ride...

banned
    I used a riser many years ago and hated it. I like being low down and forward on the bike. I think the Turner design benefits from this position on technical climbs, or at least for me. I really like that low, forward of center position I can get. The steering being sharp is the function of the a-c height, but the low down bar just allows me the best way to balance and teeter on the front or rear on climbs. I ride rocks, roots, smooth xc, you name it on the straight bar. No want for a riser. Perhaps I'm just in the minority.

No, that's not phonetic
    685 to 710mm. Anything narrower feels pretty weird to me at this point. I used to run narrower bars, but now I'm used to (read as: more comfortable with) these.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 26inch/660mm RF Next somethingororther on a 'Spot. Like it lots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ORVH
    Thanks JC -wow, 23"? I thought I was on the XC side for a Spot, but obviously you have me beat by a margin. Does 23" quicken the steering for you, or do you just want a lower bar? I have a straight bar around somewhere - now wondering if I should try it for a fire road ride...
    I used to run a 23" bar when I lived in the midwest - narrow gaps between trees made it a necessity. Now that I'm in the wide open west, I use 26" bars. They are more comfortable, they do slow down the steering a bit, and suit the type of riding I do here better than before.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    I used to run a 23" bar when I lived in the midwest - narrow gaps between trees made it a necessity. Now that I'm in the wide open west, I use 26" bars. They are more comfortable, they do slow down the steering a bit, and suit the type of riding I do here better than before.
    The narrower bar I use gives me tons of clearance as well. It's definitely a plus when going through the trees.

Hisforever
    Switching from narrow flat bars to the average width riser bar was an awesome experience for me. It made riding at speeds much more comfortable, The first ride on some dirtroads I was rolling way too fast for this one turn(this was before I started using bigger tires too) I ended up sliding out and went down hard. The end result was some beef jerky that was with me for a couple weeks and best of all I was stoked for new bars. Why the heck did it take so long to try them?1

Riser Bars are up there with disc brakes and Turner suspension bikes IMO.

Oh yeah, 685mm or 710mm's or I'm riding a unicycle!
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I used a riser many years ago and hated it. I like being low down and forward on the bike. I think the Turner design benefits from this position on technical climbs, or at least for me. I really like that low, forward of center position I can get. The steering being sharp is the function of the a-c height, but the low down bar just allows me the best way to balance and teeter on the front or rear on climbs. I ride rocks, roots, smooth xc, you name it on the straight bar. No want for a riser. Perhaps I'm just in the minority.
    Glad to know that I'm not the only one running flat bars, even if I am one of the few. I'm riding 26" wide Salsa bars with an 11 degree bend, so my had position is very similar to that of a low-rise bar.

I'm sure I'm one of the very few still using bar ends, though. (I know, I'm WAY out of fashion, but at least they're on flat bars!) I like a shorter cockpit for descending, but still like being stretched out for the climbs.

J_C - If I remember right you're from Westchester, right? I used to live in Croton and rode Blue Mountain & the B-P trailway a lot. I can see how wide bars could get in the way.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    685 to 710mm. Anything narrower feels pretty weird to me at this point. I used to run narrower bars, but now I'm used to (read as: more comfortable with) these.
    what tscheezy said..

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Ditto

685 in a low rise (25mm) would be about as short as I would go. That said, I really like the feel of the FSA carbon DH bars I am currently using. They come in at 710mm and 40mm rise.

Back in the day I used to cut my bars down to 22-23 inches!!
    Nothing to see here.

banned
    what do you want to change about your bike's feel/handling?

that will direct the types of bars to consider.

to your Q: I run Answer ProTaper 27x2 on all my MTBs.

Bite Me.
    Burner - Race Face Next Carbon 25" 1 inch rise
    Spot - Azonic Double Wall 27" 1.5 inch rise
    Last edited by cutthroat; 05-31-2006 at 10:33 AM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Gonzo - yeah, I guess it would have made sense to include why I brought the subject up - I tend to get some numbness in my hands/wrists during long rides. Ergon grips have helped quite a bit, but also thought a different width may make a difference, as far as the angle of my wrist when gripping the bar, etc. Thanks all for the comments

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    EA70 Monkeybar Riser 31.8 / 685 mm on 6pack

Just another FOC'er
    28" risers on all my bikes - except my tri bike. I thought about it, but the aerodynamics might suffer a little bit too much

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ORVH
    Gonzo - yeah, I guess it would have made sense to include why I brought the subject up - I tend to get some numbness in my hands/wrists during long rides. Ergon grips have helped quite a bit, but also thought a different width may make a difference, as far as the angle of my wrist when gripping the bar, etc. Thanks all for the comments
    ORVH,

first things I look for with numb hands/wrists:

- saddle tilt... nose-down can cause excess pressure on the hand/bar interface

- bar rotation... if the bar is rotated backward too far for your particular anatomy, it can put your wrist in an uncomfortable and therefore maybe numbing position

- grip diameter/shape... sounds like you've tried at least the Ergons, how about simply varying thicknesses... ODI Lock-Ons run from the fat&chewy (Oury) to the thin and barely-there (Ruffian) and have many intermediate thicknesses. I have medium sized hands and when I run the really fat ones (Rogue, Oury) I get numb hands.

handlebar rise and sweep are variable, and people's forearm/wrist/hand anatomies are variable. you may have to experiment. I must have tried 7 or 8 different riser bars before fiding that the Answer ProTaper 27x2 bend is best for me, but EVEN WITH THIS BAR, it is absolutely crucial that I get it in the proper position rotation-wise.

experiment with an open mind... good luck

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    630mm x 1" rise on my Spot. I'd probably like to go a little wider but I do go through some tight spots and like a little clearance.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    630mm x 1" rise on my Spot. I'd probably like to go a little wider but I do go through some tight spots and like a little clearance.
    Two closely spaced trees at Chicopaaaayy sez: "Puss"

Of course, you have other issues with your bar at Chicopee.

LOL,
    D.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    Two closely spaced trees at Chicopaaaayy sez: "Puss"

Bwaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

at the right angle and with a little bit of body english the 710mm bars fit through there - the pucker factor is high, however.
    Nothing to see here.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Two closely spaced trees at Chicopaaaayy sez: "Biyatch"

It's easy to laugh at the zig zag bar incident since I had the off-trail excursion at Blankets.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Full length CNT lo rise at the moment, but looking at Jones H Bars at the moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Another chiming in from the minority here. Flat bars at 23 inches. Tried risers, and didn't like them.

Double minority: I still use bar ends too, and love them for the varied hand positions on long rides, especially.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.