mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Back to the future (bling photo)

Does anybody remembered this TOTM?

I've decided to go 20mm thru axle, so I've bought a brand new "legendary" Marzocchi Z1 FR SL 2003 on eBay. I was needed a new wheelset for this fork, so CRC made for me a Hope Pro II + DT Comp + Mavic 819 pair, front 20mm, rear 10mm bolt-in. With those "old classic" parts it's necessary to use old classic rotors. Hope float non-saw did the job.

Result weight is about 13.8kg.

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Awesome, Archer. How's that pushed van r treating you? Looks like you also added a ti spring to the mix. Very nice. Gotta love the coil front and rear on the Spot.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ORVH
    Awesome, Archer. How's that pushed van r treating you? Looks like you also added a ti spring to the mix. Very nice. Gotta love the coil front and rear on the Spot.
    Thanks!

I've sold PUSHed RP23 after several rides on Vanilla I think coil is better then air for this 5 Spot.

But the fork is not coil, it's just a "light" version of Z1 FR. Positive air in both legs, and negative chamber in the left. I've not tested it yet, it's fresh assemble May be on weekend...

mtbr member
    Nice bike and pics - I had an 03 Z1 FR coil on my 5 spot for years - it had the top level Zoke damping at the time and was / is a great fork - the stanchions are nicked up otherwise I would sell it. I did find it a little slow steering and a little too tall on the steep climbs unless I engaged the eta though.....

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer13
    Does anybody remembered this TOTM?
    Sure do. YFF (your fault) that I ended up with a Black HL Spot, then a TNT Flux, and now a bad habit. Your prior build, spectacular old skool Spot, and those original crisp photog skills did me in. Previously never cared to clean my bikes as much either.

Enjoy the new bits.

Stray Bullet
    I had the coil version of that fork, it was awesome!

Bike looks great, enjoy.