Thread: B.C. trip help

aka baycat

B.C. trip help

Spending a week up in Vancouver area in late fall.

Where should I ride?

Or if you have resources you can point me to. Looking for a tour guide company as option, any suggestions?
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 05-08-2008 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are staying in the Van area - the obviously place to ride is the North Shore of Vancouver - world class riding right there - Mt Fromme, Mt Cypress and Mt Seymour are all amazing (there are others too - just mentioning the best-known)

for maps and photos etc. of the North Shore go to Gutsploder:

http://www.gutsploder.net/

For a tour I can recommend Freeridetours.com - did an 8 day trip with them a few years ago and had a great time - there are others I have heard good things about as well...

http://www.freeridetours.com/
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

aka baycat
    Thanks, that is a great reference site for maps. Also checked out NSMMB which has tons of info as well.

When is the riding season usually over?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Thanks, that is a great reference site for maps. Also checked out NSMMB which has tons of info as well.

When is the riding season usually over?

We ride year round up here. Mind you did have some snow issues to deal with this past winter, just made things a bit more challenging.

Late fall can be pretty decent. Whistler bike park will probably be closed, but lots of really good stuff on Cypress, Fromme, and Seymour.

Send a reminder to a few of the boards closer to your dates - lots of us will be happy to play guide.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Good tips from macrider.

Post closer to the dates and maybe I'll come up....lots of good resources here. I'll PM you my phone number if you want to talk further.

Hard to go wrong with a day on fromme- one of my fave places to ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Huh. When I first read your post you mentioned that you were looking for xc stuff. Hopefully your edit is a sign that you're aware there isn't a whole lot of true "xc"stuff in the Vancouver area. Lots in Squamish, and in the Whistler valley, but you'll be better served bringing an rfx or similar if you're staying local to Vancouver. If you do make it to Squamish, (and I recommend you do) the visitor centre cells a really good map for $7 or so.

In terms of the local hills, Fromme is a pedal up, and has some fantastic technical trails. Rumour has it the snowline has now just about cleared Upper Oil Can. I'll verify myself this afternoon.

Seymour is a shuttle hill, and can get quite busy. There's a wide variety of trails, from flat out fast on Neds, to techy skinnies on Boogieman, and steep rock faces of Dales.

Cypress is a man's hill. Shuttleable, and probably the hardest known trails on the shore. Steep, big lines etc. Big bike territory.

Enjoy your stay!

aka baycat
    FM. Will be in touch, thanks for the insight.

big-ted. Yeah I quickly realized the style of riding up there once I started digging around more, and got some replies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big-ted
    Rumour has it the snowline has now just about cleared Upper Oil Can. I'll verify myself this afternoon.
    Abort! Abort! Abort! Spent an hour hiking through waste-deep snow after happily riding the first ten metres of trail. Then, once I could actually ride, I clipped a pedal and ripped the crankarm threads out. One of those days when I should have just stayed at home...

Anyway, theres a while to go yet! How Whistler is planning on opening next weekend I do not know...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ewok Village

If you can handle North Shore riding the Ewok Village was featured on Drop In. Amazing trail just a few miles east of Vancouver. Small wood cabin built right into and under the trail and you can spend the night, free!
    agmtb

Lay off the Levers
    FM, FWIW I'll be in da big Dubayau starting Aug 19.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    FM, FWIW I'll be in da big Dubayau starting Aug 19.
    Looks like I've got a vacation booked up there staring the 28th. When are you leaving?

I might be able to a swing day trip up to the shore earlier than that. Personally I prefer the shore to whistler, they are both fun and different, the shore is more my style.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Looks like I've got a vacation booked up there staring the 28th. When are you leaving?

I might be able to a swing day trip up to the shore earlier than that. Personally I prefer the shore to whistler, they are both fun and different, the shore is more my style.
    Heh considering how often I get out west, I 'll take what I can get.
    My crew alreday booked a room near the lifts 19th - 26th Looks like we'll just miss your segment. Look around for faceplant prints...those will be mine.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    My crew alreday booked a room near the lifts 19th - 26th
    Just after C-Worx...nice call.

Good times will be had by all.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover

Yeah we should have the run of the place.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover

Yep and right before the Labor Day weekend rush. Trails can be a bit chundered after the Crankworx mayhem, but it won't impact your fun, Zilla. Plus, the weather is usually the nicest during that timeframe.....good for afternoon swims / people watching at Lost Lake or Rainbow park.

Cheers,
    EB