Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I've got a Stiffee

AZ Spring Fling pics

A few of us headed out to AZ for the Spring Fling and we had a blast! The weather was a bit unpredictable so we stayed in Phoenix and rode South Mtn for 2 days since it was such a sweet trail. Yesterday we hit up Sedona, what a beautiful place. It started snowing on us right as we ended our ride. Here are a few pics of me in action and some sweet scenery shots:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    A few of us headed out to AZ for the Spring Fling and we had a blast!
    Sweet pics. I'm headed to AZ on Friday for the NOVA Dessert Classic and a week of hitting all the trails I can find in the rest of the state.

Aside from the race (at McDowell), I'll probably only have time to hit National while in the Phoenix area; was Sedona fairly rough/techy as well? From your pictures and some of the trail descriptions I've been reading it looks like the Spot would be a better choice than the Flux for most of the riding. It might make my race a little longer, but then that's just more practice for once my season starts in earnest here in a few weeks.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Good stuff, I've always wanted to checkout south mountain, it looks a lot like stuff we ride here in the Springs at Palmer park. I'm jonesing bad for a trip out to the desert.

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e

Aside from the race (at McDowell), I'll probably only have time to hit National while in the Phoenix area; was Sedona fairly rough/techy as well? From your pictures and some of the trail descriptions I've been reading it looks like the Spot would be a better choice than the Flux for most of the riding. It might make my race a little longer, but then that's just more practice for once my season starts in earnest here in a few weeks.

I wouldn't want anything less than a Spot for National, Sedona the Flux would be ok. The trails we rode in Sedona were not nearly as technical as National (but I'm sure there are some that we didn't ride). My Pack was perfect for all the rides.....especially Milagrosa and National. I'd say bring your Spot, you'll definately want the extra bb height for National.

rr
    I don't do PC
    That spine feature is cool, I would like to see a shot from above, did you take any others of that section?

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    That spine feature is cool, I would like to see a shot from above, did you take any others of that section?

I don't have any from above, but here is another one from the bottom.

MBN
    mtbr member

Nice Pictures!

Wish I was there!

Team Sanchez
    Great shots! I've only ridden South Mountain once, and I've been wanting to get back out there.

I $uck, but TURNER Rules!
    Glad to hear you guys had a great time here. Sorry I couldn't hang w/y'all for the rest of the National - my friends rear hub nearly fell apart, so we had to run down Mormon (p.s. I was the local w/the Blue 5 Spot... met you on my way up the National).
    If you're ever back in town, give me a shout, I'd love to ride w/the Turner "Pack" (pun intended).

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyAlumni
    Glad to hear you guys had a great time here. Sorry I couldn't hang w/y'all for the rest of the National - my friends rear hub nearly fell apart, so we had to run down Mormon (p.s. I was the local w/the Blue 5 Spot... met you on my way up the National).
    If you're ever back in town, give me a shout, I'd love to ride w/the Turner "Pack" (pun intended).

Oh yeah, Luis right? Nice to meet you also, we definately had a lot of fun at SoMo!

Just another FOC'er
    Great shots Rob, that stuff looks like tons of fun

mtbr member

Some more

As Rob mentioned, we had a great time at the Fling. Many thanks to all the volunteers that put this together. I decided that I REALLY need a Gravity Dropper post after riding in Arizona. Turner was well represented there. A couple more pic's

C
    Attached Images Attached Images

Powered by ice cream.

Three Turners on the Prescott ride

Two spots and a pack.

They're getting like flys. I'm seeing more Turners than any other brand it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Too Much Fun

Good job! Great stuff!

A few of us headed out to AZ for the Spring Fling and we had a blast!
    Wow. Nice shots, nice terrain.

I've got relatives in AZ and its clear from these pics that I *really* need to visit them!
    - -benja- -

Ouch, I am hot!
    It was a Turner fest. Here I am on my 5-Sspot. Definately the best bike choice for the National Trail at South Mountain.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    damn how i wanna go home and ride! maybe the rfxc will allow me to clean the waterfalls top to bottom. its that last drop/turn to the right section that haunts me. the burner has made the rest of it but i remain totally intimidated by the final plunge. great pics guys.
    No, I'm NOT back!

It's a Turner!
    The Spot was perfect on National. Can't wait to get back there. Phoenix gets more and more crowded each year, though. Too many hikers to watch out for.

http://www.sirbikesalot.com/National...s/DSCN2740.MOV
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

awsome vid! you make the falls look down right easy. or was it the bike? now im reeeeeealy homesick!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the great vid!
    I love the perspective on the spine section that's in some of the other pictures. In the stills, the spine doesn't look too bad, but in the wider frame video I was puckerin' a little thinking about it.

2tne, you have no idea how nasty it looks till yer there. the pics and vid do it little justice. i spent 10 years shudderin in its shadow and only attempted that section a handfull of times with (thankfully) good results but ive never tried the spine line. hell, i never saw it as a option till now. its cool how bikes and talent progress, isnt it? whats really cool is how some of us locals need a fresh new look to see a old line. from a visitor none the less. that took balls, guys! im duely impressed!
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Cool vid sirbikesalot, if any of you guys are ever on the front range I encourage you to come ride Palmer park here in the Springs. The terrain is very similiar and there are "features" like the spine all over the place to test your skills, I feel fortunate to get to ride it all the time.

I've got a Stiffee
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/videos/train.avi

There is a video we made of a drop on SoMo.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    2tne, you have no idea how nasty it looks till yer there. the pics and vid do it little justice. i spent 10 years shudderin in its shadow and only attempted that section a handfull of times with (thankfully) good results but ive never tried the spine line. hell, i never saw it as a option till now. its cool how bikes and talent progress, isnt it? whats really cool is how some of us locals need a fresh new look to see a old line. from a visitor none the less. that took balls, guys! im duely impressed!
    Chicks and 6-Packs love the Spine. I hear you on the pics and video do it no justice. Looking at these pics and thinking damn that looks easy compared to the real deal. From a skills perspective, I think the Spine is as easy, or maybe even easier, than the Trough, but from a mental perspective, it is way harder. Its just damn hard to mentally decide to decline down anything that is called a Spine, let alone something that looks like one too.

Rob, sorry to hijack your thread, but I thought these pics from the Fling were within the theme. I don't remember seeing you guys on Friday. Were you riding with any locals/SF Guides?
    I AM JUST A JERK

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir

Rob, sorry to hijack your thread, but I thought these pics from the Fling were within the theme. I don't remember seeing you guys on Friday. Were you riding with any locals/SF Guides?
    Yeah we were there on Friday riding towards the front of the pack basically. I was on a grey 6 Pack with gold I-9 wheels (hard to miss me). Once up at the upper parking lot we went with Dale (white 6 Pack) who led us on some more fun tech singletrack.....Kathlene was in our group also. CalEpic was there on a white 5 Spot and another buddy on a blue X-5.

No worries on all the pics, the more the better. I have a video of me going down the spine also, but just haven't had time to upload it yet. The Pack was eating up SoMo, that trail was frickin awesome!

Ouch, I am hot!
    Yeah we were there on Friday riding towards the front of the pack basically. I was on a grey 6 Pack with gold I-9 wheels (hard to miss me). Once up at the upper parking lot we went with Dale (white 6 Pack) who led us on some more fun tech singletrack.....Kathlene was in our group also. CalEpic was there on a white 5 Spot and another buddy on a blue X-5.

No worries on all the pics, the more the better. I have a video of me going down the spine also, but just haven't had time to upload it yet. The Pack was eating up SoMo, that trail was frickin awesome!
    We were together at some point then. The 6-Pack may be better than the 5-Spot out there. Here is my last stolen pic. Paul B said it best in the AZ forum, this pucture of Johhny is one of the few that does the Spine justice. Too bad he is on a Santa Cruz.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast