Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Awesome but boring Turners....

I had my Turner up close to a Ellsworth Epiphany the other day. The Ellsworth had such pretty rockers, awesome paint, and manipulated tubing. My Turner is straight tubing with fairly boring paint with grease leaking onto the paint. BUT, I would not trade that old fashioned but gorgeous for an Ellsworth for anything. I'm just used to my bike. I have no stickers. I have had people ask me if it is a Giant, Trek, and even a Norco. On group rides, unless a guy is knowledgable, people completely ignore my bike. I had some riders gawking at a freaking Cannondale over my bike. I could not give a crap! My Turner will be spinning my tail up the hill when that Cannondale is squeeking and all beat to crap.

Jaybo

Knollician
    My favorite thing about my RFX is the simplicity. I love how "basic" it looks. The new Smoke paint on the Epiphany looks ugly as hell in my opinion. Ellsworth single color anodizing sure does look nice though. I hate the laser etched graphics as well.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Toby Wong?
    Tools - Not Jewels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    ..I have had people ask me if it is a Giant, Trek, and even a Norco...
    ...what? No Kona? Geez

...honestly tho, there are bikes out there that I think are aesthetically pleasing...but the EW is definitely NOT one of them. I think their rockers look like cheap knock-offs personally. I still think the Turner is one of the most elegantly simple & classically hot looking designs out there...of course this is all just icing anyhoo. The bikes flat rip

mtbr member
    you call it boring I call it timeless. Take a peek at any Turner you don't ask yourself what year it is. It' a Turner.

Now most brands inclunding ellsworse change tiny details to make last year models obsolete. I'm very fond of my Turner lack of gimmicks plus it's tweakable to death. The recent explosion of Frankenturners is the perfect illustration.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    this one is nice: "the recent explosion of Frankenturners"
    I like the idea of creative technical user interaction leading to some Turner diversification ....

NDO
    Kiwis can fly - briefly!

Turner talk

I thought about stripping the stickers to go stealth-mode as I like a minimalist look, however, black bikes are two-a-penny and no stickers would make it harder to recover the bike if it was nicked. Fact is most riders - and thieves - in NZ don't know what a Turner is anyway.

I only get stopped by people who are in the know, are scrapping together the loot and want reassurance they are doing the right thing. In these circumstances you have got to be happy to talk Turner.
    Kia ora (Good health)

banned
    I remember reading in Dirtrag how the rockers on the Moment take six hours to make on the CNC machine. If this is true, then you know where your money is going when you buy one of those things. That is just retardly inefficient and diminishing returns, provided it's true. I've seen large and intricate items made in half the time on one of those things.

I'd also rather not put money into this guy's pocket due to posts from his management like thiswith a great Jayem retort that says it all:
    This is the difference between turner and ellsworth.

Dave Turner does not blatently misrepresent other bike manufacturers. He and his company simply stay out of it.

You on the other hand, are so concerned about trying to get an "edge" on everybody else that you are more inclined to try and "bend" the truth when no one is looking, and I'm not referring to the frame.
    And this, which was answered in kind by Jayem as well:
    I understand you may be new to bikes dave, but extruded tubes are how you get some of the wild shapes out there. Extruded front ends like on the Aeon bikes...you know...

Another funny thing is that my SAPA tubes are shaped. The ST, DT and TT. Funny, I guess you AND tony are wrong.

You just can't pass up any opportunity to slam your closest competitor can you?
    It's funny because these two posts, in addition to some threads referenced from a long time ago have been used to tip the scales in the favor of Turner when I'm asked to help someone decide between the two. In that respect, Turner should thank EW for his free, misinformation based advertising that sells more Turners.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I think their rockers look like cheap knock-offs personally.
    I agree with JNC - I think the Ellsworth rockers are eyesores. Particularly with the shock mount not being inverted. I do think the older Ellsworth ano jobs were impressive, though.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    I agree with JNC - I think the Ellsworth rockers are eyesores. Particularly with the shock mount not being inverted. I do think the older Ellsworth ano jobs were impressive, though.
    I think the Moment rockers on my brother's bike look quite nice. Maybe it is just the finish, but they look pretty cool. They do look like they might be weak though. What I can't stand about the Ells are the pivots. They look so cheap and flexy. The interface is terrible, looks like something a 6 year old would make from legos. The horst pivot especially. Even SpecialEd's horst is much nicer.

Nice job JC on those quotes, Jayem can be a riot at times.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

banned
    Unfortunately that's the reality DT had and has to deal with everyday for much of the last few years. Can't forget the time the UK distributor started spreading lies about Turner when he thought no one was looking.

Bottom line is the esteem DT holds from the industry, as well as the dealer and customer base.

gravity curmudgeon
    Understated styling is my preference for bikes and cars, for that matter. Function speaks far more than bling ... not that there's anything wrong with that.

mtbr member
    I agree - turners are understated but still great looking - i drive an audi a6 that is over 6yrs old but imo looks nice and is timeless - drives great without the flash..i see turners that way too....

Knomer
    Boy, if I hear any more "lemons into lemonade" rhetoric I'm gonna hurl.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    The old shot peened Ells bikes looked nice, but their new shite is hideous IMO.

I think Turners are easily among the best looking bikes around.

Too Much Fun

Word up...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I had my Turner up close to a Ellsworth Epiphany the other day. The Ellsworth had such pretty rockers, awesome paint, and manipulated tubing. My Turner is straight tubing with fairly boring paint with grease leaking onto the paint. BUT, I would not trade that old fashioned but gorgeous for an Ellsworth for anything. I'm just used to my bike.
    While I'm not a card carrying member of Homer Nation, I will say that in addition to liking the Turner ride I also really love the straight up, no chaser school of frame design that DT adheres to with his bikes. They are built for getting shitt done on on the trail and thats what its all about.

...As an aside, I wish he offered more polished and "Highline style" natural finishes on all his frames. I used to love the sick paintjobs back in the day but after riding bare metal Ti bikes for years now I just like seeing the bare stuff, especially when filthy. Show me the METAL.
    - -benja- -

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I absolutely love the look of the RFX classic. In black. Mmmmmmmm...

The 5 Spot looks alright, the Burner looks kinda cheap. But that RFX classic, that's a beauty.

I would agree that Turner finish isn't the prettiest on the market, although I really like their logo treatment. Definatelly nicer than Ventana. And I really hate the ells lettering.

A funny story, one of my regular riding butties has a pretty beat up Giant AC2. We went out riding the other day in a local trail network off of Left Hand Canyon (Boulder area) where the trail is predominately utilized by 4x4 rock crawlers and crosses a shooting range, among others. Lots of big ol' dudes holding their Buds in one hand and navigating the rocks with the other. Some are shuting AKs. As we pass by, my buddy got a gazillion complements "Man, that's a sick Giant!" and so on. Noone even looked at my ultra spendy Spot.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks

I am glad you guys like the understated looks of my frame designes. Yes they are tools for working the dirt with, and years from now they will still be working and I don't wanna get caught up in the latest tribal tatoo look or flames or goth or whatever as the frames are supposed to outlast the fashion trends. For rich guys like Dusty who will never ride a bike for more than a year or two flashy finishes and advertising claims are fine, but for the rest of the hard working wholesome salt of the earth kinda riders my plain ole designs have found a home-r.

DT

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Ummmm, I don't think we're dealing with lemons here Mr. Buttmunch. There are plenty of other bikes that could be considered 'lemons' but Turner is not one of them.

I'm just sayin'....
    MCM# 2007.1

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    For rich guys like Dusty who will never ride a bike for more than a year or two flashy finishes and advertising claims are fine, but for the rest of the hard working wholesome salt of the earth kinda riders my plain ole designs have found a home-r.

DT
    Interestingly enough though, DT..... Dustbag Bottoms sustained this itty bitty, teensy weensie, little dent on his squeaky pivoted, Blur a few weeks back. He was so distraught that he was going to try and get a warranty replacement out of SC. Consider yourself blessed that this scumbag is not on one of your fine steeds.

BTW, speaking of ********s...I have ridden with SmEllsworth a few times... and I have to say it has been an exercise in futility to get you to come down and pedal with us.

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnn dude!
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 05-12-2006 at 01:26 PM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I remember reading in Dirtrag how the rockers on the Moment take six hours to make on the CNC machine. If this is true, then you know where your money is going when you buy one of those things. That is just retardly inefficient and diminishing returns, provided it's true. I've seen large and intricate items made in half the time on one of those things.
    Six hours? ROFLOL.

That is either incorrect or Ells has the worst CNC process in the world. What are they using to CNC...... a hand drill?

If it really did take 6 hours, the rockers would cost more than the frame

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Six hours? ROFLOL.

That is either incorrect or Ells has the worst CNC process in the world. What are they using to CNC...... a hand drill?

I never thought I'd say this but, "in defense of ellsworth" [GASP!] there aren't a lot of flat surfaces on the exterior surfaces of ellsworth rockers, I believe they are all curved surfaces, so every side gets machined, so there are several fixtures that a rocker has to be mounted to, machined, taken out of, mounted to in another machine, etc., so there is some labor involved. I'm not saying it's smart , just that it's time consuming.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms

Who'd have thought that the Turner forum is the bane of Dusty, and not the other way as everyone seems to think....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Yes they are tools for working the dirt with, and years from now they will still be working and I don't wanna get caught up in the latest tribal tatoo look or flames or goth or whatever as the frames are supposed to outlast the fashion trends.
    Nice. Thanks for the new sig Dave. I needed one now that the 29"er is well underway!
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Six hours? ROFLOL.

From Dirtrag, Issue 119:

But what exactly makes this frame cost so much? It's in the details-like the six hours of machining time required on the CNC'd 7075 aluminium rocker arm.
    These things add up quickly, and rightfully so.
    Now the paradox of this review is the itemization that followed the above quotes, ending with:
    I'm here to report the Moment wasn't without its problems, as it arrived with its rear triangle out of alignment...I continued to ride despite the flaw, realizing the defect was cosmetic. The only performance disadvantage I detected was tire rub on the stay during hard cornering.
    I agree about the machine work cost. The costs would be way up there, along with only being able to make about 400-500 sets of rockers a year, per machine.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 05-12-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast