Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avy's?

FM
    luxatio erecta

Avy's?

Any thoughts on the avy chubbie, where to pick one up for the best price, and will it be worh it?

banned
    thoughts:

1) Blingery that will impress the Yuppie Riders in your bunch

2) Blingery that will impress the Yuppie Riders among the Homer Nation

3) Blingery that won't make you a better rider

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Any thoughts on the avy chubbie, where to pick one up for the best price, and will it be worh it?
    Dude! For all the pedaling we do, you're probably better off sticking with your Push'd RC.
    The Avy will be nice heading downward but I'm not so sure about up. PM T66 about it.

Besides, you have a kid and family to feed.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    thoughts:

2) Blingery that will impress the Yuppie Riders among the Homer Nation

3) Blingery that won't make you a better rider
    That's coming from a guy who owns an RFX, a V-Tach, and now a Spot if I'm not mistaken.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eo
    That's coming from a guy who owns an RFX, a V-Tach, and now a Spot if I'm not mistaken.
    I suppose you had a point but somehow got it lost in the smart-arse post you were TRYING to make.

maybe you should try to be more explicit and tell me how I am wrong, though.

mtbr member

Avy on 6 pack

FM and EIO,
    I have an AVY on my pack and the shock is unreal. I bought it slightly used, so got an unreal deal on it. I was runnning a Romic before. I didn't mind it, but I thought it blew through the middle of its travel too easily.

I had always heard good things about AVY so I jumped at the chance. It came with a Ti coil, so it ended up being quite a bit lighter than my Romic. The shock is unreal. It was tuned for someone 20lbs lighter than me,and for the exact same bike. Not a big deal, it still blows the Romic away. Very controled and solid. The craftsmanship is outstanding, and the company seems to have great service.

EIO...I was thinking the same as you....great DH shock, but what about going up? This shock can climb. It feels way better then the Romic going up. It keeps the rear stable, while letting it grip everthing. I was very surprised.

Someday I might send it back in to get the high and low speed put in there, but for now I am very pleased with it. Another nice thing is that it is tuned just for you. Once you get the shock there is very little to play around with....set it and forget it.

I highly recoomend them....good luck.

Hisforever
    FM,

I can attest to the AVY on an RFX. Its stellar on the downhills, Basically,it is the Best rear shock I have had the chance to put on there after the pushed Air shock. The vanilla RC i had was not pushed but it worked well until..well, until the AVY joined the family.

Uphill its not bad, just a little bit heavier. I turn the compression knob on full and it goes.

Only downsides are weight and price.

Upsides are performance and reliability.
    Jesus Saves

Hisforever
    sorry to derail...but G Air, where you been? whats up with those B rockers??? i wants em. we gone jump rich (in yer best southern accent)
    let me know man!

RJ
    Jesus Saves

Xtremely Moderate
    I suppose you had a point but somehow got it lost in the smart-arse post you were TRYING to make.

maybe you should try to be more explicit and tell me how I am wrong, though.
    No one likes a hypocrite and its better to be a smart arse than a dumb arse, I always say.

mtbr member
    Hey FM,

I've got a DHS with Ti coil on my '01 RFX - I picked it up used for a very decent price. I wouldn't have gone for one new as the cost is just too much for me.

I had a stock Van RC before and the Avy was a huge difference (with the Ti spring it's even a touch lighter!)
    I don't have a wide assortment of shocks with which to compare it, but as it is set up now, it tracks over all the small stuff and soaks up big hits very well, I probably bottom the shock out on most dh runs at least once but the bumper is so good that it feels buttery smooth.

If you're planning on keeping the RFX for many more years of service I would go for it. Look at it as investing in the quality of the bike you ride.

As for climbing, I do trail ride my rfx but at 40lbs I don't try to ride up everything. The bike is built for dh and freeride specifically at the moment. The only time it's on a trail ride is if we're sessioning stuff.

Good luck with your decision.

Clem

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eo
    No one likes a hypocrite and its better to be a smart arse than a dumb arse, I always say.
    that's your more explicit point?

so you had NO POINT, then.

excellent.

you're as clever as the Hanson Brothers.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    My recommendation is wait until there are some comparisons between the Push'd DHX and the Chubbie. They may be very close so the DHX route could save you some diaper dough.

banned
    I'd be interested in someone's "proof" that any shock works better than a DHX Coil on the 6-Pack.

and that'd be NOT including PUSH treatment of the DHX.

mtbr member
    Gonzo, not for the sake of starting an argument, but what type of "proof" is available to prove something so subjective. The only way I imagine I could answer the question myself is to test ride both shocks extensively. Maybe some testing by PUSH with their equipement, but even that wouldn't be definitive for me seeing as how so much of it comes down to personal preference.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Gonzo, not for the sake of starting an argument, but what type of "proof" is available to prove something so subjective. The only way I imagine I could answer the question myself is to test ride both shocks extensively. Maybe some testing by PUSH with their equipement, but even that wouldn't be definitive for me seeing as how so much of it comes down to personal preference.
    you just made my point. thanks!

Just roll it......
    thoughts:
    Wouldn't impress the riders in FM's bunch as I don't think a bunch of guys riding beat up Kona's and Sabers have heard of Avalanche let alone be impressed with them. Actually, that's not entirely true. I've heard of Avalanche.....but then saw their prices and went "WTF?".

FM, you not feeling the pushed Vanilla RC anymore? What's the story there?

EB

Xtremely Moderate
    that's your more explicit point?

so you had NO POINT, then.

excellent.

you're as clever as the Hanson Brothers.
    Oookay coach! Whatever you say.

Funny that the man with the some of the blingy-est bikes in here, is calling someone on the carpet for considering a blingy purchase to impress his "Yuppy" friends?

Who are you trying to impress with your V-Tach?
    Must be your pooch since I can't imagine anyone being able to stand you long enough to go on a ride with you.

Oh wait a minute, let me guess....you bought it based soley on performance, right?

I believe FM asked about the performance of the Avy, not how much bling factor it will carry with his yuppy brothas..............

mtbr member

don't know

I Haven't Tried A Dhx Coil, But I Am Sure They Are Nice Shocks. I Was Looking At Them, When I Came Across My Avy. I Paid Less For The Avy With The Ti Spring, Than I Would Have Paid For A New Dhx Coil Witha Steal Spring.

It Is Lighter, And I Believe Avy Has Much Better Customer Service Than Fox. They Can Also Be Rebuilt By Any Moto Shop. Even If They Felt The Exact Same The Avy Would Still Be Better Off For Me. I Heard Some Complaints About The Dhx Coils, And Everybody Wants To Send Them To Push. How Good Can They Be If People Want To Send Their New Shocks To Get Reworked? It Will Also Be Interesting To See The Price Difference Between The Pushed Coils And The Avys. I Wouldn't Think Thst Much!

banned
    dyckless, stop digging your holes deeper and deeper.

and stop guessing at my motives for ANYTHING, because you haven't even come close to being accurate out of all the silly sad put-down attempts you've launched.

if you question my ability to ride anything anywhere, there are plenty on MTBR.com who've ridden with me. I suggest you try reconnecting to reality, and leaving behind your fantasy world where you have a "Must ATTACK GONZOSTRIKE" attitude that simply makes you look the sub-cretin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Whoa, baby, Gonz has gone off the meds!

Please leave the building in an orderly manner. Do not panic. Do not run.

To the original poster: I recommend buying the Avy or the CCDB, then post totally subjective, glowing ride reviews, just to drive Gonz even further bonkers!

Well, off to try out the new All Mountain 1 on the Spot. There is no doubt in my mind that it will blow away the old Talas. In fact I'm so sure, I could probably write the review now (admitted Gonz baiting, there!).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    I Heard Some Complaints About The Dhx Coils, And Everybody Wants To Send Them To Push. How Good Can They Be If People Want To Send Their New Shocks To Get Reworked?
    G-Air, the avy sounds great. To be honest, getting one for a deal sounds like the way to go - especially if you were on a Romic previously.

I have a DHX-Coil that I've only been riding for a couple of months and, so far, I think it's great! I've been wondering why so many people have been pining for the new push mods on it because it's so much better than my old Vanilla RC (pre-push) and I'd say on par, if not better, than my Pushed RC. I have to admit that it took some tinkering with the boost valve to get it to pedal well (bike bike w/ lots of travel) without giving up small bump compliance, but I think I've found the sweet spot.

Even after a great conversation last week with Darren (that dude's the best) about the new DHX mods, I can't imagine dropping another 2 bills to have him mod mine until it really needs to be serviced. BTW, I've got 2 pushed shocks which I love....one of which (my RC), I've had ~ 2 1/2 years with a couple of services since originally sending it in. Maybe I'm just a dolt...but I don't understand the rush to push an already great performing shock? Maybe someone enlighten me with their issues on this shock so far?

Cheers,
    EBX

Hisforever
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    It Is Lighter, And I Believe Avy Has Much Better Customer Service Than Fox. They Can Also Be Rebuilt By Any Moto Shop.
    I think this is true as long as they use showa shock parts.

The one thing that sticks out so much with the AVY is how solid the bike rides and behaves. It basically feels like running a 2.5" tire in the rear as opposed to running a (2.1 or a 2.35).

I cant mathematically prove it, but its in the feel, Its almost bottomless feeling, with the proper B rockers on the 01' RFX there will be no more seat BRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPs. Runnings the A plates has been fine until a bigger jump comes along. I have been liking the geometry pretty well, but I wonder if the BB will come up too much with the B rockers on since G-Air will be getting rid of his?

EBX, the dhx coil on the highline I rode was plenty broken in & It felt like a nice shock, I can't see why others would want to send them in right away either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Gonzo is just grumpy because his sausage tits are making his back hurt.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    Gonzo is just grumpy because his sausage tits are making his back hurt.
    nice to hear from you.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Whoa, baby, Gonz has gone off the meds!

Please leave the building in an orderly manner. Do not panic. Do not run.

To the original poster: I recommend buying the Avy or the CCDB, then post totally subjective, glowing ride reviews, just to drive Gonz even further bonkers!

Well, off to try out the new All Mountain 1 on the Spot. There is no doubt in my mind that it will blow away the old Talas. In fact I'm so sure, I could probably write the review now (admitted Gonz baiting, there!).
    meds? I have meds? where are they? kosmo, did you steal them? jayzus kroyst. you homers are relentless. back to my padded room and extra long sleeved jacket. carry on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast