Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Avalanche shock maintainence?

I am tempted by Rene's Chubbie that he is selling but am worried about the service intervals. 60 hours then send it back to the east coast? Really? Is everyone doing that or are you stretching the service intervals like I do? 60 hours for me would be every 3 months...

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Bob

PS I would put the Chubbie on my 06 RFX... and maybe my 08 Spot...

Outcast
    Tempted by another man's chubbie? That's sick!

As the seller, I shouldn't be responding, But I will! IMO, Craig's suggested service interval is a bit.....too much. I would think once a year, regardless of hours on the shock, is plenty.
    FWIW, I have the original invoice in front of me. This shock was born on 7/17/2009. The bike it was mounted on was ridden a couple times a week at most, for about 3 months; it shared my riding time with my RFX. So what I'm getting at is, it has low hours IMO.

mtbr member
    I too am tempted by his young Chubbie. I think that since I have strayed into the CCDB world (I have a 7.5 x 2 that fits on my RFX or 5-spot), I may have to resist. Do I really want to deal with a PUSHED DHX 5, a CCDB AND a Chubbie? Tough call....

Buzz

mtbr member
    get on it man... i'm thinking about it as well.

talked to Craig yesterday and he mentioned maintenance/service once a year would do.

just waiting on settling with my insurance company regarding my stolen bikes...

was thinking about a CCDB but don't think it will fit a med DW 5Spot even though the Turner website says it will. looking at decender's large 5Spot i'm gonna have to say it won't.

mtbr member
    I have had a Avy Chubie on the '06 RFX for two years. I purchased it used in March '08, used it for the whole season, sent it in for service in April '09 (when it was serviced and re-tuned specifically for me) and it still feels as good as the first day I got it back from Craig. I am debating whether I should send it in for service, but I am leaning towards holding out at least for half a season.

This shock is one of the best built, most reliable shocks I have ever seen.

My recommendation is to use the shock as is for a few months until you figure out exactly how you want it to perform, then talk to Craig and have the shock tuned to your taste and serviced.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Wonder if Craig would ever be willing to install a shraeder valve to allow self-service.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Good info. It is either get this Avy or get the MX tune on my DHX5.0 in a couple of weeks when they are available again... Decisions.

Bob

Outcast
    Don't wait too long.
    My RFX just walked out the door, sold with the other avy on it.
    Look out; I'm on a roll!

29 some of the time...
    Nobody services their shock that often. Heck, most people I know with air shocks go 2-3 seasons without so much as an air sleeve service. It is good for preventative maintenance, but hardly a requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    You can also have a local moto shop do the Nitrogen recharge.

If I didn't already have one I would be all over the one Renny is selling. I think if AVY had better marketing and advertising they would be on the top of everyones list. These shocks are that good. I would take an AVY over a PUSH MX tune any day.

Who ever gets this shock won't be disappointed. Ride it for a while. Then send it back to get serviced and specifically tuned for you and your bike.

Craig's CS is very good.

TG

mtbr member
    damn to much pressure.

Renny PM sent.

Outcast
    Holy sheep dip! Rodel is the fastest gun in the west. He literally beat everyone else to the trigger by seconds.
    I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for whipping each other into a feeding frenzy.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Where's my percentage???

mtbr member
    I just can't belive, that Renegade has sold his '02 RFX. I thought is was "till death apart" relationship...

NOT Team Sanchez
    I now have a chubbie, it's morning time out west , and I was wondering what the blue knob does, and the blue knob as well. These are stacked right on top of each other at the beginning of the piggy back. I know they're compression settings, but which one does what??? Thanks.
    I like bikes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's AM out here in the west too, but it's been raining all morning here in Arizona. Just like Washington state or something.

Anyways, there should be a small silver flat-screwdriver "clicker" knob on top of the blue knob. The screwdriver flat adjusts the low-speed compression, and although there are "clicks, they are fairly weak. The big blue knob is the high-speed compression.

Craig says that the blue high-speed knob should be turned in at least 1.5-2 turns from full "open". This is required to make the circuts perform correctly and is essentially the "zero" setting. Use the low-speed then to dial out bob/wallow.

Avalanche shocks usually come with the adjusters set for a healthy amount of damping, so they are usually spot on. What I have noticed though is that it takes a few rides to break them in (having owned essentially 3 now). I would highly suggest that if you have a newly rebuilt/new shock from Avalanche, that you do NOT mess with the adjusters until at least 3 rides later. They use a lot of low-speed rebound damping as well, but your high-speed is set from the factory, so don't be concerned that the shock feels very "slow" when pushing on it while the bike is stationary. At high speed it reacts wonderfull, in fact the faster and rougher the surface, the better it works in my experience, kind of opposite of other shocks that I've owned in the past. Even though the adjusters are "independant", there still is interaction, so increasing the low-speed compression can affect the threshold at which the high-speed circut takes over, and so on. This means you have a lot of tuning parameters, but the shocks also come set up pretty darn well as I said, and as long as you have the high-speed adjuster set the 1.5-2 turns, it's hard to find a crappy setting as well. These shocks don't come with useless tuning range.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.