Thread: Attention

mtbr member

Attention

Inspired by CC's recent posting of his sweet Stinger and the Attention sticker on it here is a pic of the Attention sticker on the top tube of a small circa 98 Stinger frame I picked up.

Its obviously not the right sticker for the Stinger frame (I doubt there'd be many Stinger owners considering anything other than a short travel XC fork) but an interesting feature anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    and the build pics are where?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Best I can do is lay out all the parts I have at the moment...

MW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil
    Best I can do is lay out all the parts I have at the moment...
    We'll take whatever ya got. You know we will.

--MW

mtbr member
    A lot of my stuff is stored away while I try and reorginise the garage/workshop but I pulled a few bits out.

The blue turbines and SIDneys may not end up on the blue frame but I'm intending to go for a blue theme.

The green frame has has a pretty hard life from the look of it but should clean up nicely.

The tiny black one (excuse the backdrop) is looking pretty good for a frame nearly 10 years old and should be built up in the next month or so for the mother in law to ride.

Those Turner boffins about will be interested to note the difference in chain stay length in the pre 2001 and 2001 rear ends too.

trail fairy
    Wow TAS thats just flippin cool bro

Can't wait to see all 3 built and hanging out together

Chur..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

MW
    mtbr member
    It's just amazing to me that you've got -three- of these sitting in your shop. Before CC started his thread(s), I think I'd only ever seen two pictures of the Stinger (and I'm pretty sure it was the same picture, just different contexts).

Good stuff.

--MW

im impressed. that green is sweet! dont think ive seen that before. looks like it may be the dark metalic green from '98 or '01 accordin to my notes in the timeline. (special-custom link color)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil
    Those Turner boffins about will be interested to note the difference in chain stay length in the pre 2001 and 2001 rear ends too.
    not so sure about that. mines the same rear stays. 16.6" from '99 to '01 according to my 2 geo charts. not sure about '98 as i cant find a proper chart or link to it. my unconfirmed suspision was that the darker chart below covers '98 through '00 but yer pic has me rethinkin that. somethin sure changed.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Looks to me like, in the lower the lower figure, the horst pivot has been moved forward, making the chainstay shorter whilst not actually changing the distance from BB to rear axle, which is what one normally refers to as chainstay length.

doh! yer right ted. now i know what td was tryin to say. so yeah, if ya look close like i refused to do, youll see the '01 dropout was heavily machined and longer from axle to h/l. most likely to accept the newly improved disc mount design.

sorry for bein a moron.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    So, will that cause you problems when tracking down a suitable disc rear stay? I've been watching at least some of the many threads you have on here. I think the Stinger was the first Turner I actually lusted after, though by the time I actually bought one my leg hair had regrown and I bought an rfx instead...

hey! it was only 3 stinger threads fer gawds sake! a build thread, a 1st ride report and a few good 2nd ride pics..... all in a week. ok, so maybe thats alot afterall.

wont cause problems at all. matter of fact, it may help clarify it. tass is pretty up on the vintage stuff.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Sweet.....That's it. Just Sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    hey! it was only 3 stinger threads fer gawds sake! a build thread, a 1st ride report and a few good 2nd ride pics..... all in a week. ok, so maybe thats a lot afterall.
    A far as Stinger threads go that's probably the vast majority right there

Maybe we'll have to start the ultimate Stinger thread to go with the rest of the summaries.

I also note in comparison to your Stinger that the 2001 frames have the bottle cage mounts further up the down tube.

fried stuff with cheese
    A friend of mine who I've kind of lost touch with had a K2 stinger. I think they licenced the design from Turner?? If I remember correctly it had a K2 front triangle and the rear end was made by Turner....I think.

Last I knew he still had it. Haven't talked to him in almost a year now though.
    Egg