locked - time out
    Jan 2010

Anyone On A Vivid?

I saw a post from Noel about how good the Vivid is, especially for the price. Has anyone here had any time on one and able to compare it to some of the other offerings out there?

User serviceability and Pushability are nice, but it is said to be quite nice in stock form, too.

mtbr member
    Hey glitz- I just picked one up for the RFX, but only have one ride on it so far. I was chasing down some faster guys so I didn't have time to mess with the settings. I'll post up in the coming weeks when I know more.

Joe

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Good to know. Just wondering- what other shocks have you used?

trail fairy
    Glitz what bike r u wanting to run one on, I'm keen to hear nay feedback on the Vivid on the DHR vs other shocks, CCDB, AVY Fox DHXc etc

Though that said I'm pretty happy with the DHXc for my limits at mo and setting it up is key. But I would like to try a shock that runs a little bit higher in the initial travel and the Vivid has slow speed rebound which like the fork you can run a bit faster and high speed rebound which ya can run slower for bigger hits.

I'm not sure how that would affect the leverage ratio on the DHR as its very progessive so its does this as std via the stout link, to provide a softer intial setting with good ramp up to mid and full stoke so how much improvment it would make I dunno, more dials may make it more complicated, though I think I got my fork working pretty well now!

I like the sound of user service ability too
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I'm planning on putting it on a 2003 Ellsworth Id. Possibly a longer length, as the BB height and standover is a bit low.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    I'm planning on putting it on a 2003 Ellsworth Id. Possibly a longer length, as the BB height and standover is a bit low.
    IMO don't do it. I didn't know the Vivid for one was available in the eye to eye and stroke options for the ID or trail bikes?

That said Ive owned an ID I had an 04 for a couple of years, I know I know still mine was no fuss and no problems for some key reasons I believe I know this because I also setup a then friends ID as well and neither of us had issues and we thrashed the s h i t out of em.

I loved that bike because it was a technical bike to ride the better and more committed you were the better it performed if you had poor tech it punished you and the high BB put many off, it can eb a bit quirky at times, but setup is key on that bike.

It was ahead of its tim for weight forks and shocks a major issue for early reliability.

COIL shocks were also a major responsible factor in this, mainly due to people not understanding the NEED to get the correct spring rate this created allot of stress on what was really a long travel XC bike [not FR that it was quoted my Ellsworth at the time] it was always a light weight rig, why in the end I got put off the E brand. unfortunately we are heading back into a similar time with bike manufactures XC based in all disciplines and overly light weight cause fat arse demand it instead of getting fitter.

The ID is susecptable to this stress in theseat tube and the chain stay bridge and chain stays.

IMO don;t go coil get a shorter stroke shock than the 7.75x2.25 7,75 x 2.0 if memory serves me right I may be off to create a 5inch rear travel with an RP3/23, run the shock DGC mod or push it, this is the best platform for the ID it likes a bit more compression but not lock out, this will make her really fly, let the horst link induced squat give you the initial softer ride characteristics and run it for a faster ride. this will mean light fast efficient and reliable your frame will survive for longer [ I guarantee you'll break it if you put a coil on there it will only a matter of time!] you will be able to get the right sag and correct damping and sprint rate and match a better fork to it.

Van 130mm fox or Revelation, or Float round 130mm if ya can find one, 140 will be fine too 130mm best for that setup though.

I ran this setup on mine and it was without doubt the quickest most fun 5inch bikes Ive ever had, I prefer the Spot now, mainly due to the stiffness and the bushings over bearings and more understated looks back then, DWL is probably more desirable on looks now depending on ya point of view, the dripping and direction TE went really turned me off though honestly I was never a fan, mainly I liked the ID and the dealer here was super good to me and great to get along with Turner was only available online here at the time back then it was easier to go local. I would never go back that said to Eworth.

But it is a great rig if setup right, please don't go coil

Just so ya can compare, I ran the bike with a Vanilla RC and Romic and RP3 cali etd i2i cali was by far best std RP3 set in middle pos for a little extra compression for my wieght and style back then and I still jumped her dropped her!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Good to know. Just wondering- what other shocks have you used?
    I've ran the stock rp23, and a pushed rp23. I have never had a coil rear shock so I expect/ hope this is eye opening.

Trophy Husband
    That bike seems a bit out of date...I think that you should try and sell that bike and get yourself a Chumba VF2...and forget about the Vivid...get a CCDB. Best of both worlds.
    Extreme stationary biker.

trail fairy
    What Chumba [nice rigs[ I prefer the DH over theyre trail models though!

Still if ya not gona on a Turner forum suggest a 5Spot then atleast give him a real chance, look at the Banshee Achtung SPITFIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's a trail setting design of the moment imo I'm torn between this and the DWL Spot

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Was enjoying mine on my Highline. Great shock. My bro Chainwhip has it on his HL and DHR, and we have both been really happy with ours.

Great out of the box, doesn't need Push as much as some of the other offerings. I only have experience on several DHX air/coil, Romic, Manitou and Floats for comparison.

trail fairy
    What about a VIVID air

check this out I posted re the new Santa Cruz rigs

Sram are going hard out as are SC.

I'd still go air if ya want that ID to live long and prosper

The Sea Otter Whats Best Combined Thread

Monkey good update o the HL and DHR I will certainly add that one to the list for my DHR in the future for now my DHXc is sweet as I get back up to speed maybe I will want more, I would love to try on to see if I can tune in more performance but no chance of that here

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs