mtbr member

Anyone using a Frameguard on their Spot?

Has anyone tried the AJs Frameguard pictured on a Turner below?

Since I've been taking my 'Spot into rougher, more technical descents I've been having a problem with dropping the chain onto the bb shell (even if I start with the chain on the middle ring). The shifting is flawless and I'm pretty sure my derailleur is set up properly.

I might try taking out a chain link or two since I now run a bash ring, but I don't want a full chain guide (yet).

Its pretty light at 52 grams and its just under $40. Any thoughts?

http://www.ajsbikeparts.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I would first try to shorten the chain to the correct lenght.This will help to keep more tension at the chain so it stops droping to the inside.
    I am personaly at my second Turner(Burner DH/SixPack) and do not have problems like that also all my other bikes did rarely drop the chain to the inside.Only after hard crashes my chain dropped...

Later
    RaD

Flyin Canine
    Taking the links out should help a little but you already know the real answer don't you?

mtbr member

Chain guide?

Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Taking the links out should help a little but you already know the real answer don't you?
    I assume you're hinting at a chain guide. I'm hoping to avoid that but it might come down to it. I had a nasty OTB two weekends ago when I went to pedal the front end up over a wheel eating rut and my feet just spun.

However, I did remove two links today and the results were interesting. Yes, there's now more tension on the chain and there was less chain slap during today's ride, but the upshifts were fractionally slower. I noticed the slower upshifts when the bike was in the stand so I cleaned and lubed everything in the rear d. (SRAM XO). On the trail the upshifts were still slower (I'm guessing its the increased tension). Its moderately noticeable, I don't race this bike, and I only really care about quick downshifts for those fast transitions to steep climbs.

I won't be riding any techy stuff until the weekend so we'll see how much help I get from the missing links.

Thanks RaD and shanedawg.

Flyin Canine
    Yeah even with that inner guide plate you will most likely still find you bike misshifting at the most inopportune moments, like right before that rut you were talking about. Your chain would bounce down to the granny and not fall completely off but your shifter would still be in the middle and when you went to pedal, right before a wheelie drop or something - crunch,kak,grind, crash!

I was in the same boat you are are would up getting the e-13 DRS guide.
    I love it, absolutely love it. It adds almost no drag at all, runs super quiet, basically I forget it's there, except that my chain never falls off. I used to have a race face bash ring and I'll tell you the DRS did add weight not only from the boomerang/guide wheel but also from the bash ring. The plastic is heavier than the alum it replaced but since I do some urban riding and don't want to leave a bunch of marks on the concrete it's totally worth it to me.
    Last edited by shanedawg; 05-25-2005 at 11:06 AM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Check out the review I did here on the turner board a week or two ago, on the blackspire stinger chain guide. It's also $39.95, and if you were to remove the roller, it would basically be exactly what you pictured... but at least you'd have the option of going to a full chain guide, even if just for your gnarlier rides.... with two 4mm allen keys and 2 minutes. You just need to order the BB mount one, not the ISCG one that I got for my RFX.

I was also hesitant to add the weight, noise, and extra parts of a chain guide... but really it's no big deal. And your chain will probably never fall off again.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    I assume you're hinting at a chain guide. I'm hoping to avoid that but it might come down to it.

mtbr member

Can't find Stinger @ Blackspire.com

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Check out the review I did here on the turner board a week or two ago, on the blackspire stinger chain guide. It's also $39.95, and if you were to remove the roller, it would basically be exactly what you pictured... but at least you'd have the option of going to a full chain guide, even if just for your gnarlier rides.... with two 4mm allen keys and 2 minutes. You just need to order the BB mount one, not the ISCG one that I got for my RFX.

I was also hesitant to add the weight, noise, and extra parts of a chain guide... but really it's no big deal. And your chain will probably never fall off again.
    Thanks, FM. I read your review and the product looks promising, especially at the price. I just had another weekend ride wherein I dropped the chain from middle to bb shell (shanedawg you were exactly right about this happening) so its time to do something other than remove a couple of links.

Would you mind a few questions?

1. You've had a couple more weeks on the Stinger. Any issues?

2. I can't find a product called Stinger at the Blackspire web site. Is the product pictured below?

3. Having removed links from my chain to increase tension am I likely to need a new chain since the roller will tension things even further?

At my LBS I've looked at the e-13 DRS mentioned by shanedawg and its looks good, very well made, but pricey and I like my bashring. I also looked at one by mrp, too pricey for what one gets.

Thanks, Clyde
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just another FOCer
    I second Shanedawg's comments about the DRS. Excellent product but might look out of place on a 5 Spot. A couple of the guys I ride with have had good success with the AJs. Granny gear is better than a wedged chain.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]