mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Anyone running 26+ on a Burner?

The thread of Dave running 27.5+ on a Sultan has me intrigued. He mentioned some upcoming 26+ tires that would fit in a Burner.

Anyone running 26+ tires like Surly Knards or Dirt Wizards on a Burner? Is so, what rims are you using, and what do you think of the setup?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Interested in this setup too as I'm currently building up a new Burner frame and fancy a second wheelset in 26+ .... if it fits. I'm thinking Surly Rabbit Hole rims with some 2.8 to 3.0 rubber.

Questions are would they fit in the rear with enough clearance, and how about the front. I see Fox have just announced a 27+ fork for 29ers and my guess is with the boom in 650B there would be a bigger market in a 26+ version, here's hoping Fox follow up with a 26+ fork.

Already ordered a Pike for now but not convinced there will be enough clearance for Knards or Wizards on them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well, according to the Surly tire spec sheet (http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...Geometries.pdf) and my tape measure, Knards on Rabbit holes should fit the frame. Not much clearance on a Pike up front, but it should fit, too. If not, the Dirt Wizard is a little narrower.

~~~~~~~~
    X-fusion Revel fork? I get a feeling there will not be a 26+ fork from Fox or RS unless you consider the Bluto 26+.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks Double H - useful chart :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Rabbit Holes + Dirt Wizards + Burner = Perfect Fit

This might have been mentioned already, but searching on a tablet got tedious. Sorry if this is old news.

Surly Rabbit Hole 26" rims and Dirt Wizard 26 x 2.75 tires fit without a problem. I would have rather gone with the 3.0" Surly Knards, but it turns out that some Instigator 2 owners want to upgrade to 27.5+ and are selling their stock wheels and tires.

I just went on my first ride on them yesterday- what a blast! The trails were packed, so I didn't "need" fatter tires, but it was fun to have them. The traction and stability were incredible. The Dirt Wizards are about 1/2" shorter overall than my 27.5 Nevegals, so I popped in an offset bushing to keep the BB height the same. Can't wait for more snow or to try them out on dry trails.

Anyone running 26+ on a Burner?-midfat.jpg

mtbr member

plus 26....

ran my burner most of the summer this way. knard 26 3.0 on 40mm plus carbon rims. rubbed ever so slightly in the rear, on the chain, but worth it for the traction and fun factor....Anyone running 26+ on a Burner?-burner-plus.jpg
    Product designer @RSDBikes.com

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midfat.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	1040226
    It looks like you are running a two front ring set up - did you have to do anything to not get any rubbing when in the lower gears? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wish they made more aggressive 3.0 26 inch tires. I don't think the knard would cut it for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    It looks like you are running a two front ring set up - did you have to do anything to not get any rubbing when in the lower gears? Thanks.
    rmac: No rubbing issues at all with a standard XT 2 x 10. I didn't have to make any modifications to the bike besides the offset bushing. I wouldn't even have to install the bushing if I had Knards. Wait - that sounds wrong ;-) Kreater might insight on that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah - you'd think that 26+ would be more popular. I'm wondering if tire volume will make up for tread, though. I rode a fat bike this summer and was impressed by the traction even though the tread was minimal.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H View Post
    Yeah - you'd think that 26+ would be more popular. I'm wondering if tire volume will make up for tread, though. I rode a fat bike this summer and was impressed by the traction even though the tread was minimal.
    I don't know that I agree with this, especially in muddy conditions I found the fat provided little cornering traction (at speed).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    I don't know that I agree with this, especially in muddy conditions I found the fat provided little cornering traction (at speed).
    I'm sure you're right, but we can't ride in mud here in southern Idaho. We get so little rain that a rut in in a muddy trail can stay in the trail for months once it dries. Far cry from New England where if I only rode on dry trails I would have only been riding about 10 days per year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Too fat is too slow. In all my trail riding I never see a fat bike going fast. Sure they might have there place for certain conditions, snow, sand and in your case mud, but it's a niche bike and a fad for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
    Too fat is too slow. In all my trail riding I never see a fat bike going fast. Sure they might have there place for certain conditions, snow, sand and in your case mud, but it's a niche bike and a fad for sure.
    Sure, fat bikes will always be slower than "regular" bikes, but thats one of the fun things about the mid-fats; they aren't so fat that they're really slow, but they're different enough to add a new dimension to riding. I know I'll be back on my 2.35s during the peak season, but I've got an affordable option when the trails are frozen or turn to moon dust.

I'm glad that DT designed the Burner with enough clearance to run 26+ because I can't afford a quiver of bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know this isn't the same as 26+ .
    But I am running 38mm(OS) Nextie Wildcat rims with 27.5x 2.5 WTB Breakouts on my Burner 3.1.
    Pretty damn wide setup. Traction is phenomenal. They are not the optimum in mud though. But they feel considerably wider than 2.3 Vigilante's. Sort of a tweener setup when discussing 26+ which what I was shooting for when I built the setup.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I think 26+ is a great idea, like having 2 bikes in 1. Not a replacement but a supplement to your main ride. We have snow this year and it would definitely add value to my rig.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I think 26+ is a great idea, like having 2 bikes in 1. Not a replacement but a supplement to your main ride. We have snow this year and it would definitely add value to my rig.
    Really gotta be honest with your intentions on the bike. If you're simply looking to be able to ride some (and on the local trails) during the winter, a "+" wheelset will add versatility to an existing bike. A proper fatbike gives you the best chance of being able to ride every day in the winter. Whereas, my 2.8's (on 45mm internal width rims) allow me to ride stuff that would be a little dicey on regular bike tire/rim combo.

If my 26+ wheels and tires hadn't had come with my frame (essentially free), I probably wouldn't have bothered. But, b/c I have them, why the heck not. I can tell a difference of them vs. 2.3's (on 29mm internal rims). The main thing is being able to run 13-15 PSI, which really helps the traction.

I can ride the mellower trails around Denver/Golden after a snowfall on my 26+ just fine. The aggressive 2.8" tires (Dirt Wizards) do make a difference. 26+ tires still need to have some good meat to them (example: 3.0" Fat B Nimble is really crappy in the snow).

If the trails are packed down some, then 26+ enables you to ride a few days more than regular tires. A couple weeks ago, I tried to ride a higher elevation (8000-9000 ft) ride on my 26+ and couldn't make it up Evergreen Mountain at all. The trail was broken, but the cut was narrow and still very soft. We kept getting stuck and would have difficulty starting again. 2.8" simply doesn't float like 3.8" (or larger).
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    chasejj - that sounds like a really fun setup. If I ever need to replace or rebuild my current 27.5 wheels I'm definitely going with wider rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Running the 26 plus on my Flux. Dirt wizzards on 35mm velocity rims. Worked really well in Sedona last week before the rains hit. Pretty good in the snow for a non fat bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi, Mitch -

Good to know about the Velocity rims. They were on my list, but I came across the Rabbit Holes. Hope to see you on the trails!

HH

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Anybody running 26+ on Burner?
    Pictures?
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal
    governments..."

Asian Dub Foundation

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rikardo View Post
    Anybody running 26+ on Burner?
    Pictures?
    I'm running 27.5+ on my burner. Great clearance all around. The tire is so well centered in the CS yolk, it appears as though it was made for mid-fat tires.

Sorry I can't post a pic as my cell camera gave up the ghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    [QUOTE=incubus;13315403]I'm running 27.5+ on my burner. Great clearance all around. The tire is so well centered in the CS yolk, it appears as though it was made for mid-fat tires.

Sorry I can't post a pic as my cell camera gave up the ghost

That sounds extremely interesting and a bit hard to believe. What tyre size in 27.5+ you are running? I thought the 26+ would be possible but 27.5+ would be even more awesome.
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal
    governments..."

Asian Dub Foundation

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rikardo View Post
    That sounds extremely interesting and a bit hard to believe. What tyre size in 27.5+ you are running? I thought the 26+ would be possible but 27.5+ would be even more awesome.
    I am just on the cusp of what's officially deemed plus at 2.8" wide. The tires are schwalbe nobby nics on i40mm rims.

I still don't have a working cell camera, and sadly I think that tire saw its last ride today. (Fingers crossed that the rim can be repaired.) I have a new bike coming on Wednesday so my burner may too have seen its last ride (under me anyway).

Trust me, so long as you keep with a 2.8" tire you'll have plenty of room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk