Ride and Smile

Anyone know what this RFX is worth?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wondering if I can get some help with a 01/02 RFX for sale. The add is below.

What would you say this bike is worth if it is in good condition?

Does anyone know the specs on the 01/02 rfx? (he's not sure what year it is, he says its the last year of the horst link suspension.

And lastly, could I be buying someone else's problem (meaning should I just go into debt for 5 years to get an 08 RFX before it goes SS)

Sure would appreciate any help anyone might give.

Thanks

Turner RFX with fox Vanilla RC rear shock 500lb spring. Marzocchi Z150 fork
    Hope Headset Gold
    TruVativ Husselfelt 50mm 31.8 Stem
    Race Face Dues 31.8 Riser Bars
    ODI Ruffian Lock on grips
    Shimano Saint Shifter/Brakes w/203mm rotors
    Shimano XT short cage rear deraileur and XT front deraileur
    Shimano Saint crankset w/ Race face bashguard
    Shimano Saint Hubs w/ DT Swis spoke and Sun Rhynolite rims
    Kenda Nevagal Tires 2.3
    SDG saddle

Ok so basically I built this bike, and thought I could get away with riding a large, i'm 5'9" on a good day, and the bike rides to long for me. It rides great desending for me, but when im going thru switchbacks and stuff I just dont have the reach. Ideally it would be suited for a guy around six feet give or take. Bike rides super plush with the coil front and rear, and 6 inches at both ends it destroys stuff. 8 inch rotors have more than plenty of power to slow the bike down. The shifter/brakes are different, but you get use to them, if you dont want em, I havesome LX levers and calipers and some X-7 shifters, i can swap out for you. Just dont need the bike sitting around all summer, im not gonna be riding it so I would rather get rid of it.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    welcome to the big show! thanx for stoppin by. the info ya seek on the rfx and every other turner is here. a fair price on that might be in the $1600 range, give or take. theres lots of old parts on it so id make sure i knew age and condition of each. some close up shots would be a good thing. as far as it bein the last of the horst links, well, thats bs. hes about 4 years too early.

theres always a risk buyin used and the diff between a '01 and a '08 is mega huge. kinda like buyin a vette, they changed a tad bit since '01 so a older car may not fit yer needs today. better questions may be:
    what do ya weigh?
    how tall are ya?
    what are yer intentions and future ride goals?
    what kinda terrain do ya ride on and where?
    do ya know the seller and trust his word?

theres some good stuff on there and some stuff id pass by all together. some doesnt make much sense like a short cage r der on a dbl ring bike, tons of bombproof saint parts and wimpy rynolites. a bigger pic will help as we can start to pick out a few subtlties.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    What CC said, few would know more about Turners & RFX history than him and hes had a few! Great advice..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

MW
    mtbr member
    Just to chime in . . . I've also been looking at that bike and have been in contact with the seller. Leaving aside the particulars CC mentions (which all warrant investigation), my gut feeling is that the seller is an honest bloke, not looking to scr@w anyone over. He gave a very thorough response to my questions, can offer some flexibility in the build if you ask . . . I think the oddball spec reflects what he had on hand when he got the frame last year.

Not sure if I'm breaking forum rules here (??), just saying that I haven't gotten any bad vibes from my interactions so far. Beyond that, listen to CC: if it's the right bike for you (size, intended use, yadda), ask all the pertinent questions and pull the trigger if you're comfortable with the answers.

--MW

TLL
    mtbr member
    I'd agree with MW and CC, the mix of parts looks like the guy built it up with what he had. Nothing wrong with that at all, and the bike is certainly rideable now. At some point you will need to relace the wheels, and that short cage will prob need to be replaced with a medium, but hey, the price seems right. The frame itself looks to be in good condition, but I'd ask seller if he can send you some more detailed photos.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Looks like a solid ride to me. I have the same frame w/ a Romic and paid $400 for it.
    Turner RFX with Van RC - Good frame, shock OK if it works
    Marzocchi Z150 fork- Heavy, but it works and can DH/Freeride
    Hope Headset Gold- good
    TruVativ Husselfelt 50mm 31.8 Stem - good
    Race Face Dues 31.8 Riser Bars - good
    ODI Ruffian Lock on grips - good
    Shimano Saint Shifter/Brakes w/203mm rotors- can always size them down.
    Shimano XT short cage rear deraileur and XT front deraileur - I'd ditch for Sram anyway
    Shimano Saint crankset w/ Race face bashguard- Heavy, but good
    Shimano Saint Hubs w/ DT Swis spoke and Sun Rhynolite rims - Depends on condition
    Kenda Nevagal Tires 2.3 - great tires
    SDG saddle- I love mine
    If you can get a deal this would be a reliable rig once it is set up correctly. If it were in my size and I really wanted the older style RFX and weight isn't a concern I'd try a $800-1000 offer. That would be a good deal. You could sell some stuff and fund upgrades... over a grand and I'd spend the $ and look for a newer (used)bike or frame/fork. Of interest is that the RFX design is going to be swinging back towards the 02 style.
    All about the ride

Ride and Smile
    Thanks info, it helps.
    The bike feels like its at least 36 lbs and it seems you could build up a solid rfx at 32.
    I think trying to come up with the cash for an 08 sounds like a better option. I just hope I can work it out before the 09's come and the RFX isn't the bike it is now.

in that case, buy the frame 1st, then aquire parts. youve got about 4 or 5 months is my guess. too bad ya dont need a med. i know of a very hot deal right now.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds like the current version and are concerned w/ weight. I'd commit to buying a new bike.
    All about the ride

Ride and Smile

A medium is better than a large

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    in that case, buy the frame 1st, then aquire parts. youve got about 4 or 5 months is my guess. too bad ya dont need a med. i know of a very hot deal right now.
    Actually, a medium would probably be a better fit. Can you tell me about it?

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Thanks info, it helps.
    The bike feels like its at least 36 lbs and it seems you could build up a solid rfx at 32.
    I think trying to come up with the cash for an 08 sounds like a better option. I just hope I can work it out before the 09's come and the RFX isn't the bike it is now.
    You will be able to get '08s till at least the end of the year, or perhaps score a slightly used '08 off the classifieds. Worked for me.

Regardless of what the '09 vaporware RFX will look like, I am very happy that I have an '08.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

im sendin a pm now.

sorry, i just realized its a large "dark blue" '08 rfx, brand new ft tri, 2 month old tnt rear, king h/set. unidentified dt shock, $1050 shippin to the lower 48.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 05-12-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!