mtbr member
    Dec 2009

New question here. Anyone have experience with older DHR's?

I'm thinking about picking up an older DHR (pre DW link, round tubing) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. How do they ride compared to more modern downhill bikes? Do they have specific characteristics (ie plow bike, really flicky, likes to jump, etc)? Are there any common breaking points that I should check before I buy it?

Thanks!

Committed
    The round tube DHRs are great bikes and still hold their own out on the hill. They tend to be agile and flickable, not a plow bike.

Round tube DHRs reward an engaged rider who want performance, they are more suited to pilots rather than passengers.

The frames are on the lighter side (for alloy) and can easily be built in the 38# range.

Weaknesses are: the tendency to eat up linkage bearing and DU bushings in the shock. Three peice mounting hardware for the shock and annual replacement of linkage bearings is the recommended route.

The frames are very durable, with some pivot maintenance you can expect a lot of years out of these bikes.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    The round tube DHRs jump really well, too. The jumps I would struggle clearing with a IH Sunday I'd overshoot with the round tubed DHR.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

~~~~~~~~
    My old round tube has been a great bike, I don't have any ride time on a "modern" dh bike, although the old dhr's aren't that different than many new models. Turner continues to support these bikes and this forum plus ridemonkey provides lots of good support too. I switched my shock bushings to bearings also.