BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone have and all mt 1 110-130 on there 5spot

My vanilla is history. It seems like I can get an all mt 1 110-130 for around 400. Seems like it should be a great fork. I dont want to srew up the head angle so I figure I can run it at 120 and it should be good.I dont have a 20mil thru axle so the pike is out. The revalation is also a contender too(not as stiff?? not as Plush?? cost is around 525 with uturn).
    What do you think
    Thanks
    BSG

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You could get it Pushed

Quote Originally Posted by BSG
    My vanilla is history. It seems like I can get an all mt 1 110-130 for around 400. Seems like it should be a great fork. I dont want to srew up the head angle so I figure I can run it at 120 and it should be good.I dont have a 20mil thru axle so the pike is out. The revalation is also a contender too(not as stiff?? not as Plush?? cost is around 525 with uturn).
    What do you think
    Thanks
    BSG
    The AM1 is an ETA fork. I don't think you can ride it at 120mm because it isn't a wind down fork. My understanding. But, it seems silly to run a fork at 120mm because it has a tall A-C height. I would send your Vanilla to Push for the work up. You don't need a U Turn on a Revelation on A Spot. I got my dual air with poplock for $375 from Universal Cycles.

Jaybo

mtbr dismembered
    Ever thought of having the Vanilla sent to PUSH

mtbr member

I have one.

I've tried winding down the travel, but I like it better at full extension. The front doesn't really wonder too poorly. I use the ETA if the climb is steep and/or flat. The TST kicks butt. I really enjoy the fork. It feels really stiff and is a great descender. I've gotten used to the head angle for climbing, so I don't mess with the travel adjust anymore. Get one if the price is right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I used the Z1 FR SL 2005 model on my spot. Travel is130-150mm adjustable via the negative air chamber. It has TST, rebound and PAR. I like it very much. If I am going to hit a trail that has more descents than there are climbs, then I set it to 150mm, if trails will be more cliimbs, I set it to 130mm. IMO i think it is the perfect fork for a spot with DHX AIR 5.0 rear shock.

Bunny Hugger

Good job! You Could Send It To GarageWorks

I just bought a 3-year-old Vanilla 125 RLC from a friend who never had the fork serviced. I took it to GarageWorks in Irvine SoCal and they rebuilt it for $113 including new Fox stickers. They usually charge $65 to $90. The Vanilla now feels better than any other Vanilla I have felt, including new ones in the store. They are a great 2-man outfit. I highly recommend them. Check them out in the current Bike Magazine or here:

www.garageworkssuspension.com

949-861-2240

After this service, I now understand why people take relatively new forks or shocks to these tuners. They give your part individual attention and they tune it specifically for your weight and riding style/conditions. It's not a production line. They clean every part. They reassemble it. They put in the proper amount of fluids. It's so different from a production line and you really feel it.
    Hug the Bunny

PSI
    I want that one
    marzocchis have higher a2c than foxs for the same given travel, still lot of people use z1's on their spots. I switched from a z1 to a u-turn pike lately and the bike just felt wrong at 130 mm, now i keep the pike at 140 and never touch the u-turn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have one on my spot. I run it at 130mm the A2C is a non-issue. My last for was a vanilla and I couldn't get the correct sag dude to the fact that you only have a few choices of springs. With the air assist on the AM1 it is a non issue. The AM1 is a great fork, especially if you paint it!

mtbr member
    I put one on my 'Spot a few weeks ago, and initially had issues with some steep techy climbs. I tried them at full extension and with the ETA, but was frustrated by the wandering front end. After several rides, I've become used to it, and evidently changed my riding style, because the same climbs are not a problem anymore.

Winding it down is certaily an option, and the ETA will still work, but if you give yourself a little time, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.