mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Anyone ever welded their frame back together using a standard local welding shop

Buddy's 09 Flux broke clean through at the seat tube BB weld. Turner declined to fix as it was out of warranty. Instead offered him a deal on a new flux. But that is not within his means right now. He has only had the bike a few months and I am wondering if it is possible for a local welding company to pull off a job like this. I am sure that no company around here has bicycle welding experience. But if they know what type of aluminum it is (7005?) and have general welding knowlege can they do it. How big a deal is the heat treatment process in Al welding. Will it hold together for a while without it.

At this point my buddy is desperate. He just laid out all his cash to pick up this frame used and cannot afford another ride right now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The frames are welded with 4043 weld rod, and solution heat treated, and the frame ABSOLUTELY HAS to be solution heat treated after and ALL welding. If it is not perfectly clean, welded correctly with 4043 , then gusseted, then heat treated to aerospace spec. If not, it will absolutely fail, and quickly.

DT

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    I know how to TIG weld aluminum and I wouldn't do it....just sayin ! I think the post treatment ( annealing or heat treatment ) is a big deal for the break you are describing !
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know 2 guys with weld repaired frames (not Turners, the bikes were hand me downs), they haven't failed YET but neither of them rides hard. Their repairs were just small cracks and not a severed tube too. I can TIG weld and have my own equipment but the consequences of failure would keep me from fixing a bike I plan to ride hard. Paying a frame builder who will do it right and heat treat likely costs more than another used frame. If I were your friend I would pick up a $79 Sette hardtail frame from Pricepoint and ride that while I saved my $$ for the new Flux deal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for all the input guys. Guess this avenue is closed. I have an old Reken hanging on the wall that I will offer up to him in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am just throwing this out there but a lot of community colleges still offer welding classes. You might be able to contact someone from the welding department at your local cc to help you out.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    One way to avoid heat treating would be to try low-temp if you are not planning on freeriding with it. HTS-2000 is supposed to be good for that. Propane temperature and good tensile strength.
    Yes tig would not quite work without treating. Been there, tried it and ended up with butter metal structurally speaking.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest