mtbr member

Anyone else measure their Romic i2i?

I saw a post on the Ellsworth board and became curious if mine measured 7 1/2". Nope, 1/8th inch short, almost exactly 7-3/8". That led me to question the actual travel at the shock, fully extended I measure 1-9/16" from the shock body to the bottom of the rubber bumper. Does this sound right?

No, that's not phonetic
    My i2i is 7.43" and my stroke (assuming the bumper gets squished pretty much flat) is 1.89". I measured the stoke from the top of the shock's main body to the end of the spring-centering ridge on the spring retaining ring (the first two parts of the shock which would make metal-to-metal contact). If I had measured to the bottom of the bumper (which is recessed a little into the spring retaining ring), it would have been 1.97".

Shock manufacturers always "round off", but they never ever round down, they only round up. Bastids. That said, my XCE gets 3.98" of travel (out of a claimed 4"), but I have never measured Spot's.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

Thanks tscheezy

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    My i2i is 7.43" and my stroke (assuming the bumper gets squished pretty much flat) is 1.89". I measured the stoke from the top of the shock's main body to the end of the spring-centering ridge on the spring retaining ring (the first two parts of the shock which would make metal-to-metal contact). If I had measured to the bottom of the bumper (which is recessed a little into the spring retaining ring), it would have been 1.97".

Shock manufacturers always "round off", but they never ever round down, they only round up. Bastids. That said, my XCE gets 3.98" of travel (out of a claimed 4"), but I have never measured Spot's.
    And watch out for those bears

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My 8" Romic measures about 1/8" short i2i

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    I saw a post on the Ellsworth board and became curious if mine measured 7 1/2". Nope, 1/8th inch short, almost exactly 7-3/8". That led me to question the actual travel at the shock, fully extended I measure 1-9/16" from the shock body to the bottom of the rubber bumper. Does this sound right?

DGC
    mtbr member

by the millimeters

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy

My Romic ( 2 of them) both measure 189.5mm, and my Old Fox Vanilla RC was 191mm, and the Manitou Swinger 3 way air measures 193.5mm before riding, then after a few rides I checked again and it was then and still is 191.5mm. The Romic will produce 4.97" travel on the 5 Spot, with the bottom out bumper compressed 60%.