Nicole? Papa?

Anyone any experience of Maxxis Crossmark tyres?

Got a pair of Maxxis High Rollers Single Ply 2.35's (Super Tacky front) on my new Spot.

Going down, they grip like a Scotsman to a 10 note, but on the ups it's like riding through treacle!

As a result I'm looking at a lighter/faster set of tyres for general use. I've settled on a 2.1 Cinder up front, largely as I have one already and like it. But for the rear I was thinking of a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 (60TPI,70a). Looks like a good compromise of fast rolling but still with some grip on the corners.

Any advise?

Nicole? Papa?
    Also heard good things about Maxxis Ignitors, but I guess they would roll a bit slower, but have better grips on the downs.

mtbr member
    Both the Ignitor and the Crossmarks are great tires. As you mentioned, the Crossmarks roll a little faster while the Ignitors have more bite. The Ignitors are still significantly faster than the High Rollers in the same size.

Crossmarks are a very good rear tire in a wide variety of conditions. Where they suffer the most is on goopy mud or on very soft dirt and mud over rocks. In that case uphill traction can become problematic. Other than that I find that they grip much much more than one would expect. My experience is with the 2.1 Exception compound and the UST version. For the Spot, the 2.25 UST might be the ticket.

The only additional thing worth mentioning on the Ignitor is that the sizing is a little different relative to the Crossmarks (2.1 Ignitor is a fair bit smaller than 2.1 Crossmark, while 2.35 Ignitor is a bit bigger than the 2.1 Crossmark).

I have been running a 2.35 Ignitor UST and 2.1 Crossmark combination on my Flux all season and it has worked out very well for me. If it's dry, I'll throw a 2.1 Crossmark up front as well, but mostly I have left the Ignitor there.

On the RFX, I am a big fan of the High Roller tires and run a 2.35 UST up front and 2.35 or 2.1 UST in the rear depending on the ride and terrain.

Nicole? Papa?
    Great post NY, thanks! Sounds like a 2.1 Crossmark on the rear with a 2.35 Ignitor on the front could be a fast combination, for less aggresive trails...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee
    Great post NY, thanks! Sounds like a 2.1 Crossmark on the rear with a 2.35 Ignitor on the front could be a fast combination, for less aggresive trails...?
    Definitely, and again it's not necessarily an issue of more or less aggressive trails, it's more about the quality of the surface your are riding on. The sidewalls of the LUST versions of the Ignitor,Crossmark, and High Roller (and Minion for that matter) are exactly identical, their bite and rolling resistance on the other hand ...

not so super...
    The 2.25 CrossMark UST works well on the Spot for me. It is a true 2.25" (bigger than a 2.35 UST HighRoller) tire with good volume. I just put mine back on the front while I test another model on the back. If you plan to use the crossmark for rear wheel use I'd recommend that you cut out the 2 parallel bars between the Cross-squares. Your climbing traction and braking with be greatly enhanced.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SSINGA has good advice on the modification. That almost-continous center ridge along with the ramped second-rwo knobs makes the tire somewhat sketchy on loose climbs. It does roll fast but dusty waterbars can make those tires spin out so fast, you will not know what happened till you meet the stem with your junk (hopefully, you can tell I have experience with this).

The Nobby Nics have better grip but the Crosmarks have good volume though in stock form, they are fast and grippy enough for hardpack but not very good on loose over hardpack or loose conditions where rocks and waterbars get "dusty" and a bit grainy.

I'm 185 and ran the UST 2.25s very recently with around 28-32 psi. I may have to try SSINGA's mod and run them again after a few weeks on these Nobby Nics.