Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

anybody try the finish line ceramic chain lub?

Any good?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I bought a bottle on a whim while in REI burning up the dividend last year.

IMO, it's nothing special. Very thick. I ended up cutting it with some ProLink Gold, and it seems fine now.

As thick as it is -- similar to Finish Line Cross Country or "Wet" -- it is best to lube the night before a ride, then wipe vigorously the next morning. A pain, for sure, but applied in that manner, it lasts a long while before you get the dreaded dry chain feel and sound.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Bodhisattva
    I tried it.
    Gooey and attracts dirt.

I'm back to pro-link on all my bikes - MTB & road
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't want to get into an internet chain lube war, but since most Turner forum guys are reasonable, I'll ask how anybody gets ProLink to work? I love the concept, since it is so beautifully clean, but every time I try it, my chain goes dry within an hour or an hour and a half. I've ended up using a mix of half Finish Line XC Wet and half ProLink, letting it dry overnight, then wiping vigorously before I ride, but if there is some "trick" I'm missing about using pure ProLink, I'd sure like to know it.

To the OP, Squeaky is right about the Ceramic Lube. It is very gooey and attracts dirt, hence the caveats in my earlier post.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Bodhisattva
    I don't know what to tell you Kosmo. It simply just works for me.

I've been using it since '02, and everything else I've tried pales in comparison. That includes time in wet NJ & VT, and now CO. I apply liberally before every ride and I'm good to go.

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    The rock n roll stuff works well for me in NJ.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, Rock&Roll

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    I don't want to get into an internet chain lube war, but since most Turner forum guys are reasonable, I'll ask how anybody gets ProLink to work? I love the concept, since it is so beautifully clean, but every time I try it, my chain goes dry within an hour or an hour and a half. I've ended up using a mix of half Finish Line XC Wet and half ProLink, letting it dry overnight, then wiping vigorously before I ride, but if there is some "trick" I'm missing about using pure ProLink, I'd sure like to know it.

To the OP, Squeaky is right about the Ceramic Lube. It is very gooey and attracts dirt, hence the caveats in my earlier post.
    I am with you kosmo I don't understand all the hype with prolink. While I agree it is the cleanest lube I have tried it simply does not last but then again neither does any other dry lube I have tried

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    The rock n roll stuff works well for me in NJ.
    what color do like? I went through a bottle of the blue and was probably the stickiest dirt attracting lube I have tried

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I tried it.
    Gooey and attracts dirt.

I'm back to pro-link on all my bikes - MTB & road
    Yeah, I thought I'd try something different after 8 years of Prolink, only to find that boesheild gunked up too fast...I know that the prolink will dry up if you ride in mud, otherwise I only lube every 30 miles or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC
    what color do like? I went through a bottle of the blue and was probably the stickiest dirt attracting lube I have tried
    i use the blue - put it on the night before and wipe it in the morning...maybe you used too much?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the rock and roll gold, the key is to put it on and let it stand for a while then wipe it clean.really wipe it good you can't wipe it enough...wipe...wipe ....wipe..wax on,wax off.

Elitest thrill junkie
    All I use is Dumonde Tech Lite, it's polymer-based, but the carrier also provides lubrication. It's in between a dry and wet lube, and I have no complaints over 10 years.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC

I use the Blue on everything. You do realize you're supposed to apply liberally, then immediately wipe the chain dry?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
    , then immediately wipe the chain dry?
    F wiping my chain.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    F wiping my chain.
    Haha yes f wiping off lube

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pRiCk
    Jayem is easily pleased
    It's true.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pRiCk
    Dumonde Tech is a great lube. I keep some handy in my pack at all times (usually the Regular). I use the Lite stuff for regular lubes on the stand.

I have also had pretty good luck with Bar oil....
    considering your Avatar,, i would expect you to be the king of lube
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've been very happy with Rock 'n Roll lube. The Extreme works well in the desert dirt. I'm using the Gold at the moment but have also use Absolute Dry and been happy.

The company recommends Extreme for Tucson desert singletrack in both dry and rain conditions and Absolute Dry for the heat of the day on roadie rides.

mtbr member
    You guys must be talking about the ceramic oil lube? yes/no?

I'm using the ceramic wax lube and it didn't seem to attract any more dirt than white lightning. Lasted longer before feeling dry. I'm not sure it is worth the extra cost though. Need more time with it.

Love the feel of Pro Link Gold but even with wiping the dirt loves it too.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by fermenter
    You guys must be talking about the ceramic oil lube? yes/no?

I'm using the ceramic wax lube and it didn't seem to attract any more dirt than white lightning. Lasted longer before feeling dry. I'm not sure it is worth the extra cost though. Need more time with it.

Love the feel of Pro Link Gold but even with wiping the dirt loves it too.

This one. Looks like Finish Line has replaced it with separate wax & wet ceramics and I don't know which one this evolved into.
    I also recently tried Dumonde Tech Lite and found it to be messy as well, although it smells nicely like bananas.

― Albert Einstein

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    it smells nicely like bananas.

mtbr member
    I'm with Kosmo, I've never had luck with Dumonde. Rock 'N Roll Extreme is my current favorite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use the aerosol spray Tri Flow. Goes on great, wipe it off, lasts a long time. Pro-Link was a joke. Tri-Flow keeps the chain claen, quiet, and works a long time - not great for the environment I guess, but I am able to use it infrequently, so I justify its use in that way.
    bikeone

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    I use White Lightning.....but then again who cares ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast