mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Anybody got a HorstLink Seat Stay they want to sell

My buddy just picked up stick in his 2002 XCE. Trashed the derailleur, hanger, dropout and several spokes. Anybody have an old HL seat stay they would like to make a few bucks on. He already called DT and they have none. Hopefully they will get a trade in soon and be able to help him out.

Let me know if I need to pay for this request in the classified section. I wasn't sure.

Anybody got a HorstLink Seat Stay they want to sell-xce.jpg
    Last edited by WV_XCE; 05-20-2013 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Bend it back gently in a vise w AL jaw pads. Find your best fabricator buddy and bet him he can't fix it without destroying it!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    May be time to retire the old girl. Only got 11 years out of her. This is the second stay in two months. First one the disc brake tab ripped off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Funny thing is he keeps coming back to this frame. Rode a MotoLite for a year, then a Mach 5 for a year. Swears that neither of them felt as good as this XCE. It has the XR rockers and a Pushed RP3 so it does ride sweet. It is actually my wife's bike on long term loan to my buddy.

Ow!
    Put an add in the classifieds "Wanted". May take a while, but I bet someone comes through eventually. And I would do like suspman says. You won't make it worse.

Understand about coming back to the XCE. Did some frame upgrades the last few years. Nice to have bikes that are lighter (much lighter), but I am not certain they ride better than my 2002 XCE. I am going to build it back up, and take for some spins the next few months. I will keep you in mind if I decide not to keep it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have a (likely) spare rear for a 2003 5 Spot. I don't know if it will fit an XCE, though.

I'm trying to find an annoying creak/tick that is driving me crazy. I'm hoping that it's not the frame or the rear. Once I find the noise, I'll know if I have a spare rear HL to sell.

Currently have the original HR rear and a new, unused HL rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts View Post
    I have a (likely) spare rear for a 2003 5 Spot. I don't know if it will fit an XCE, though.

I'm trying to find an annoying creak/tick that is driving me crazy. I'm hoping that it's not the frame or the rear. Once I find the noise, I'll know if I have a spare rear HL to sell.

Currently have the original HR rear and a new, unused HL rear.

Hey blue shorts, if you do have a spare rear HL, I'm looking for a HL 5 Spot chainstay - mine is cracked...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The 03 5 Spot seat stays will fit the XCE. PM me if you want to make deal. I tried bending back my current one but it was a mess. The drop out actually spread open so much that the derailleur hanger bolts did not line up and when I went to mount the wheel it was about 3/4" off center.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

BTW. Have you tried greasing the derailleur hanger drop out interface for your creak.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE View Post
    BTW. Have you tried greasing the derailleur hanger drop out interface for your creak.
    I've tried everything except a new crankset (currently XT OctalinK) and the main and rocker pivots. I doubt that it's cracked, but just want to confirm before I sink another 500 - 600 dollars into a new crankset.

I'm sure we can make a deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nope, only a Four by 4, and it's not for sale.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

mtbr member
    Have you called Turner yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yes. They don't have any. I will keep checking with them as they may get some trade-ins.

mtbr member
    You could trade her in, doesn't Turner have a trade in program? The DW bike are UNREAL!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    This is my wife's bike (that my friend has on indefinite loan). She wouldn't know a DW link if it bit her.

I myself ride a sweet 2010 DW flux and agree that the ride is unreal. Head and shoulders above the Mojo SL I wasted two years on.

Kiwi that Flew

I myself ride a sweet 2010 DW flux and agree that the ride is unreal. Head and shoulders above the Mojo SL I wasted two years on.
    DT - put this quote on your website!!

~~~~~~~~
    I think I can get you a gold ano Nitrous complete rear end, should work fine for the xce.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    A friend of mine cracked the front triangle on his old Supergo Burner. I'll find out what he's planning on doing with the frame. If he's not going to get it repaired, this may be an option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

That would be great. Let me know.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Still looking??
    Thought someone might have had one laying around by now!!
    I will have to check but I believe I have one from my 00' RFX left over.
    It is straight, a little beat up, has a little ding it that has not cracked or moved since I have owned it. Because of the age it has a bolt on bracket for the brakes rather then welded but I have never had issues with it. Also, it is pretty narrow so I used 2.25 when using this rear end.
    I still use the RFX but I got a new horst-link rear for it years ago which also took wider tires.

I used it on the RFX and was the rear triangle of a 5-spot for years.
    It is yours if you want it? That is right....free.
    Just got pay for shipping.

kevin

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have what I think is an XCE (burner?) rear end (chainstay, seatstay,rocker) which I am willing to donate to a good home but am in the UK so postage cost could be an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks all, for your offers. I spoke with DT yesterday and he said they received a few trades and they had a seat stay for me. Just waiting for Greg to get back to me with details. Getting harder and harder to find parts for these old gems.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Thanks all, for your offers. I spoke with DT yesterday and he said they received a few trades and they had a seat stay for me.
    That is good.
    Did not think you were that desperate for the one I got.