mtbr member

Any spot front triangles out there?

Recently picked up a HL Spot rear end to throw on my RFX, but I've decided against that in favor of just building up a lightweight Spot for the stable. Anyone have or know a source for a large spot front that'll accept the HL rear? Long shot probably...

Surfin' da mountain

http://www.turnerbikes.com

They have pretty good ones there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    They have pretty good ones there.
    Um, thanks.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothole
    Recently picked up a HL Spot rear end to throw on my RFX, but I've decided against that in favor of just building up a lightweight Spot for the stable. Anyone have or know a source for a large spot front that'll accept the HL rear? Long shot probably...
    They will all accept the HL rear. Source, sorry, no help.
    Don't forget about the rocker plates, neither, 5.3s and 5.1s come by when people upgrade to 5.5s.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Correction...looking for a used Flux front triangle for my horst Spot rear triangle...thanks.

Surfin' da mountain
    Hi Pothole,

Sorry about the earlier post - I couldn't resist.

Your HL rear will fit a 5 SPOT front at 5.1, 5.3 or 5.5. However if your front is older than '07 the rear tire may make contact with a cable guide on the seat tube at full travel if using the 5.5. Below is mine. The rear from an XCE the front an '07 SPOT with 5.3 rockers and RP23.

You may just find a SPOT front or sell your HL rear to the XCE guy looking for the rear.

Have Fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    good luck with that. nuthin against the flux or you but... well... good luck with that. i do have a slighly used '05 med flux f tri that hasnt been used for 2 years. theres a dent in the downtube and 2 on the toptube but it worked fine the last time i rode it. of course that was before i drove it into the garage on top of the car.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I thought I was the only crazy Flux / HL or what ever HL dude.... I guess there are still HL lovers out there....
    Sit and spin my ass...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    theres a few folks that still refuse to eat back bacon due to their strong belief that canadian bacon tastes better, despite its higher cost and it bein way past its experation date.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    theres a few folks that still refuse to eat back bacon due to their strong belief that canadian bacon tastes better, despite its higher cost and it bein way past its experation date.
    Ouch! I can't claim HL is better.
    My first serious mountain bike was an AMP Research. I bought it because I saw an ad showing a guy standing on top of a mountain holding a polished mountain bike (a B3) with light weight looking disc brakes. So I contacted their marketing guru to see if I could get a tour of the place. During the 5 minute tour was when I learned about the horst link. Someone during the tour told me disc brakes are the future. To this day I still don't know what the HL's advantage is, but with all the hoopla, marketing, US Patents and infighting over it, there must be something to it. I bought an AMP B3, later a B5 then Turner Bikes with HLs. All I can say is I don't see any disadvantage riding with a HL rear suspension.

I believe with the introduction of platform shox, the advantage of the HL has been marginalized.

Lay off the Levers
    The difference has almost nothing to do with platform shocks. If anything the Spot's HL benifits more from a platform b/c it's a slight bit more squatty(or active if you're a fan) on climbs. The platform can firm this up enough to keep it from feeling like it's falling back at a very slight expense of compliance. It could be said the TNT does the same thing w/o the extra platform at a similar expense. Quantifying the differences btwn the two was harder for me than telling the difference btwn +- 5psi in my tire.

Even then it's not so much a function of the HL vs TNT but how each particular rear was designed. Either could have been tuned to act that way by the designer. And this is limited to these two implementations. Other bikes will be rather different for the same reasons...the designers execution.

Blablabla.... You can't loose either way and the differences are so small most ppl can't tell. Ride whichever makes you happy.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    Sorry about the earlier post - I couldn't resist.
    No really...um, thanks! Funnily, I called the guys at Turner after you posted that...those guys rock. I could really care less about the HL or TNT differences...to me the debate is all just academic wanking to kill time during the day..once I'm on the trail I'm just cranking it out and not thinking about mechanical nuance and articulation. I just happened upon a Spot rear triangle a few months ago and want to finish it off with a front triangle..guess the Spot would be an easier deal since I have 5.3 rockers and a couple different Fox shocks at the 7.5x2 size.

No biggie though...I haven't even bolted this rear end up to my '06 RFX yet, so I guess I should try that first.