mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Any north east turner riders out there?

I'm going to buy a new frame and have already ordered an Intense 5.5 but they are not arriving 'till june...No Good! I like the 5 spot but I have never seen one in NJ. I am moving to VT in june and need a bike that can climb realy well and perform in the tight stuff. What do you think, people?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Steve3, do you ever ride in Northern jersey or ny state?? Long island isn't exactly a mountainous region, ya know what I mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    .... I wonder how the VPP is supposed to handle climbs. Does it improve traction like a high single pivot?
    ....actually, the VPP is designed to lockout under power. This is both the pleasure of some & the bane of others. A locked out suspension will only track as well as a HT (given constant acceleration). Also, it has been noted to also display some inherent negative braking characteristics as well. But, it does do as advertised in the "standing-&-delivering" department where out of the saddle efforts are required. It would be best to determine your riding style before deciding between the two. Turner/ horst design better suited for seated/ consistent climbing; VPP better suited for standing accelerating/ sprinting.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ....actually, the VPP is designed to lockout under power. This is both the pleasure of some & the bane of others. A locked out suspension will only track as well as a HT (given constant acceleration). Also, it has been noted to also display some inherent negative braking characteristics as well.
    Well, the terrain can overcome the chain tension holding the suspension at the sag point, so it does track the terrain. The difference between a high mono-pivot and the vpp is that when the chain tension is overcome, you don't feel feedback through the pedals with the vpp. The vpp I rode in Utah (Intense Spider) was a very good rough/loose trail climber, and did not seem noticeably less supple than a chain-tension-independant suspension system in any circumstance.

I did feel a tiny bit of brake-induced suspension stiffening, but it was almost unrecognizable (and I was trying hard to detect it).

You would have to ride both bikes to see which you like better. I personally thought the Spider rode extremely well (I could not find a 5.5 to demo), though I still like my bike better. Individual taste.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the input, steve3

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ya know, it seems that each bike has its own set of pluses & minuses, my bud just built his 5.5 and I trust his opinions...he loves the ride and he was a truth owner before this. I ride a giant nrs with an after market rocker to give it more travel & an active rear end. So, I am used to a seated climbing position, I'm not much of a masher. To confuse things further, beyond bikes just offered me an Id with a free Fox talas rlc! Decisions decisions

Lay off the Levers

NE Rider Over here...

Quote Originally Posted by lukeWFI
    I'm going to buy a new frame and have already ordered an Intense 5.5 but they are not arriving 'till june...No Good! I like the 5 spot but I have never seen one in NJ. I am moving to VT in june and need a bike that can climb realy well and perform in the tight stuff. What do you think, people?
    Y'mean like this?

I ride my 5 Spot on the NE trails. Blue Mt(Cortland/Peekskill) Skyline/Ringwood(NJ) Ninham(Carmel), Graham Hills(Mt Kisco) and various others in the area.

IMO, this bike really feels like it was made with these trails in mind. It handles the nasty rocky technical climbs with aplomb. It shines even brighter on the decents. It pedals quite well, especially when seated. You'll find it quite a joy on these kind of trails.

I cannot compare it to the 5.5 but from what I've read you can't go wrong with either. If you have any specific questions about the 5 Spot just ask.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

singletrack lush
    Im in NJ and just built up my 5-spot like a month ago. So far Ive been more and more impressed with its climbing abilities after every ride. Coming off of a tracer I was considering the 5.5 as well, but the fact that vpp locks up under load (during climbs) made me change my mind. I think for NE riding fully active suspension is an advantage, I never ridden the 5.5 or any other vpp but my understanding of vpp is that on a technical climb the rear wheel of a 5.5 would hop and skip over rocks and roots where the 5-spot soaks them up never loosing contact with the ground and never loosing traction. Vpp is probably better in smoother conditions. Cosidering its almost 4lbs heavier then my last ride, Im amazed how well 5spot climbs. Yesterday I cleared a climb in Ringwood that I gave up on with the tracer, its one of those shortish climbs but its technical and steep as a mother, steep enough that if you loose momentum or traction halfway up, youre gonna fall back.
    NE is definately 5-spot territory.

mtbr member

Nice action shot

[QUOTE=Bikezilla]Y'mean like this?

My build kit should be here Thurs or Fri. Finally. I recall you having a 550 spring, interested in selling? Thanks, Rich

No, that's not phonetic
    ...my bud just built his 5.5...
    Can't you take is for a spin??

I have nothing against vpp as a concept, just the way it has been executed until now. The 5.5 is as close as a vpp has come to piquing my interest (the blur and spider are too "XC" for me, and the VPFree and V8 too "FR"). For whatever reason, the vpp bikes just seem to offer very little rear wheel clearance. I could not even mount a Motoraptor 2.4 on the Spider, and I consider that to me a modest tire. I like the Turner bushing system a lot for its serviceability and durability. I just hear about too many munched or loose bearings on the vpps so far. If Turner licensed the vpp design (flame retardant suit on) and made a 6 or 7" travel vpp with their excellent bushings and some sick tire clearance, I'd be on one in a heart beat. Until then, I am very happy with my Turners. We don't have a garage full of them by accident.

Good luck shopping! The market is ripe with awesome stuff (which does not exactly make your job easier).

tscheezy

PS I bet the reason Beyond bikes is trying to unload the Id is because with the Moment coming out, Id's are going to be as sought after as psoriasis.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by jedoaks
    My build kit should be here Thurs or Fri. Finally. I recall you having a 550 spring, interested in selling? Thanks, Rich
    (tnx)
    Congrats, you'll be happier than you may expect. I was. Sorry, I don't have the 550# spring. Spring my LBS swapped it for a 600.

Be sure to do your due diligence and post a pic build and review...I never get tired of reading this stuff.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

No, that's not phonetic
    Kinda slow on the uptake here, but I just realized that I live on the northeast corner of Kodiak Island (that counts, right?). I think Turners do just fine here, personally, and I have it on good authority that Barny agrees...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Climbs like a mtn goat and corners like a rat in a drainpipe...

I live in Ct and ride on very tech stuff with many steep, nasty climbs. The 5 gives me second chances on climbs that would spit me out on my Superlight. I've got a place in VT (Warren) and have done some riding up there. I haven't ridden the 5 there yet (just got it last month) but look forward to it. Build it up on the light side (mine's about 28lbs.) and you'll be set for the wet, steep, slippery, muddy Vt woods.

mtbr member

Northwest Vermont

[QUOTE=lukeWFI... moving to VT in june...[/QUOTE]

Where will you end up in Vermont? I'm near Burlington, the northwest part of the state. That would make two 5-spots in the state that I know of. Great riding once the summer finally comes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey Arc1 & geardoc, I am moving to Waitsfield on june 3rd and need someone to turn me on to the scene. I didn't buy the spot, I went with the 5.5 and am more then pleased so far. I don't think I could have made a mistake either way! My wife and I are buying the Wilder Farm Inn and I will be looking to hook up. I ride pretty agro trails in NJ, and like to climb. Lets hook up

mtbr member

Heaven in Vermont

...Waitsfield ..agro trails in NJ, and like to climb. Lets hook up
    You should be in heaven there. I've heard of a local scene that finds the
    best unpublished singletrack. Otherwise, one good place to start is http://www.vmba.org/ and its local chapters, one of which is Waitsfield based
    http://www.madriverriders.com/ and has some trail maps and announced bike rides.

I love to ride the hills and climb, but am a old clyde so my pace is usually slower
    than others. Otherwise I'm always up for a ride.

Hey, since you went with the Intense, I still might have the only 5-spot in Vermont...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I look forward to riding with you, I'm into riding with good people, not just good riders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good luck with the Inn

Hey Arc1 & geardoc, I am moving to Waitsfield on june 3rd and need someone to turn me on to the scene. I didn't buy the spot, I went with the 5.5 and am more then pleased so far. I don't think I could have made a mistake either way! My wife and I are buying the Wilder Farm Inn and I will be looking to hook up. I ride pretty agro trails in NJ, and like to climb. Lets hook up
    The mtb riding scene is without doubt the most secretive I've ever encountered. The issue is that a lot of the riding crosses private land and the locals don't want to endanger access. That being said, it does seem to be opening up some. The best thing do do is to hook up with locals who know. Best of luck with the Inn - very intersting timing with the uncertaintly surrounding the hotel.

mtbr member
    I'm in Joisey! Last month marked 2 years that I've owned my XCE (can't speak on the 5-Spot, though). My 2 bikes prior to the XCE were Ellsworth Truths (noted for efficient climb/pedaling). In fact, until I bought my XCE, I used to buy a new bike each summer like clockwork. I haven't posted much since the new format, so I'll repeat what I used to write. There isn't a climb that I made on my Truths that I haven't been able to make on the XCE. There are, however, climbs I've made on my XCE that I didn't make on either Truth. And this was with air shocks on the Truths (AD10, Float R) and the coil Vanilla RC (since changed to a Cloud 9) on the XCE. My "local trail" is Round Valley, so if you're familiar with it, you'll know what I mean about climbing.

As for the tight stuff, I'll admit the Turner may not be as "responsive" as the other bikes I've owned that had steeper head tube angles. Still can get through the tight-technical-twisties at a place like Chimney Rock, just takes a little more "focus". Trade-off is that it's a LOT less twitchy at speed &/or on descents (my Truth SE was a white-knuckle ride on practically every fast downhill). I even raced the XCE 2 weeks ago at Wawayonda. And I've taken it to Mt. Snow, VT, for some mild downhillin' twice.

bike moron
    I'm in Western NY (Rochester). I'm probably the only one around here though. I have a sister outside of Boston; been thinking about hitting southern VT (like Mt Snow maybe) on the way there. Maybe I'll see a Turner in its natural habitat around there somewhere.