mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Any issues with Easton EC70 seatposts?

I need a 25mm setback seatpost on my Flux and the EC70 seams to be one of the only posts available with that much setback.

I would prefer to use a Thomson setback post but the 16mm of setback is just a touch short even with the seat slammed all the way back on its rails.

Any first hand feedback from XC riders using the EC70 post? The MTBR reviews are less than stellar but most of them are from 2004 or before. Other suggestions?
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I put one of those on my old Stinger about 2 years ago. I know that the bike is still being ridden with the post, with no problems that I've heard about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    An EA70 should fit the bill. It has the same setback as the carbon EC70, except it's aluminum.

Unless you're either a super lightweight that doesn't do much other than XC, I'd completely avoid a carbon post. A buddy of mine broke his a couple of weeks ago. He lucked out and didn't get a carbon enema.

Feeling lucky?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Fsa Sl-220

If you don't have to have carbon, I would suggest the FSA SL-220. It's got about a 1.5" setback, and weighs about the same as Thomson's and without the kooky bent shaft look.
    It uses the same dual bolt design as Thomson, that's actually easier to get to due to the setback.

I've been running one on my Spot for a few weeks and it works great.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...xid=79&pid=144

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    If you don't have to have carbon, I would suggest the FSA SL-220. It's got about a 1.5" setback, and weighs about the same as Thomson's and without the kooky bent shaft look.
    It uses the same dual bolt design as Thomson, that's actually easier to get to due to the setback.
    Thanks for the suggestion and link. What is the little red "button" thingy in front of the clamp? Is that simply cosmetic?
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I've got one, but for the amount of shaft exposed above my clamp it wound up being a bit too flexy for me, so it wouldn't allow me to gain any confidence in its strength. I'm just shy that way I guess. I'm also happier with a slacker seat angle than most Turners have, and effectively get it with an offset post. My staple has been the Salsa, plenty of setback but with a stout shaft that I've come to rely on. I've got them on my XCE, Burner and Spot, and never even have to think about them. Maybe a touch heavy, but that comes with durability.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I dodn't like mine at all

I had a ec70 on my XCE (now ride a spot) and it would never hold the seat in the correct position. Since it only has one bolt to keep the seat from moving up and down, it would always move on me. I raced with it and the seat nose was all the way up in my stuff and it was horrible. I just think the clamping system is inferior. I use only thompson and have had zero issues with those posts. This might have been a faulty post from the beginning. I think they suck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've heard good things about the Salsa Shaft:

http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_seatposts.html

23 mm of setback. Kind of funky looking with the eccentric wheel for adjusting the tilt. I ordered one for my new Spot, but it's on backorder so the shop is loaning me an American Classic. The AC's are light, and have a separate allen screw for adjusting tilt, but they have a very narrow clamp area on the seat rails. I have one on my 'cross bike and it gets creaky every-so-often. I wasn't sure if how long it would last on a Spot. It might be a reasonable alternative, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    Thanks for the suggestion and link. What is the little red "button" thingy in front of the clamp? Is that simply cosmetic?
    Hey Dave,

The plastic "plug" is merely cosmetic. The shaft hole ( OMG I can see the replies now...) is drilled straight through the top of the post, probably in the name of saving a few grams. That part is all forged, so I don't expect and breakage issues. FWIW I'm about 210# without riding gear.

Team Sanchez
    I snapped two of the EC70's back in my XC days. Another vote for steering clear of the carbon seat post.