Bigger is better!
    May 2005

Any clydes on DW Sultans with air shocks?

I'm currently riding a Ventata El Capitan, and considering a DW Sultan.
    I have a CCDB on my El Cap, much due to the fact that the bike would sink down in its travel with the stock rp23. => Coil vs air.

Is this the same on a DW bike also?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm near-clyde status (~190 or 195) and ride a DW Sultan with the RP23. It works best for me with the DGC shim modification, which can be found with a rudimentary search. Works well without it, too, but the shim allows for a full 30% sag without any "blowing through the travel" concerns.

On pure smoother pure xc trails, no shim required.
    Whining is not a strategy.

used to be RipRoar
    230# here 2011 DW Sultan RP23, pretty happy with it...although I do run is slightly firm and some may not like it..

Out spokin'
    200# here, '11 DW Sultan, stock RP23, which I always leave wide open. While I've never felt her bottom (damn), the shock shaft o-ring tells me I get full travel. Yet she climbs supah fine just like that.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Come on, anymore dough boys want to chime in? Pizza anyone?

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Come on, anymore dough boys want to chime in? Pizza anyone?
    Ill take a slice Napoleon...

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Thank guys!

I want as plush as possible - would the DGC mod give me that?

I'm 240# btw

mtbr member
    My experience with DW-spot and RP23 (I'm a measly 155 lbs r2r) is that the DGC shim allows more plushness without bottoming. The shimming is really easy to do.

Note that the 2012 Sultan has the Monarch Plus as an option (source), from what I have read here this is a better shock if you want more plushness without frequent bottoming. Check the DGC reviews.

Delirious Tuck
    240-250 depending on dinner... Sultan with RP23 with the smaller air can. no problems, including 6' drops. Feels plenty plush.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    So it looks like I'm being a little paranoid here, if mid-stroke wallow during climbing is not an issue for us big guys?

The DGC mod also looked quite interesting..

Delirious Tuck
    Never had any issues with this thing climbing, the DW does a great job of stiffening up the rear end on climbs so no wallowing issues.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    200# here, '11 DW Sultan, stock RP23, which I always leave wide open. While I've never felt her bottom (damn), the shock shaft o-ring tells me I get full travel. Yet she climbs supah fine just like that.

--sParty
    Similar: 210, '11 DW Sultan, stock RP23, which I usually leave wide open. Sag set per turnerbikes.com. Might have felt it bottom once or twice, definitely getting full travel. Rode it last night, love it.

Morgan

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Never had any issues with this thing climbing, the DW does a great job of stiffening up the rear end on climbs so no wallowing issues.
    Word. DW-Link Sultan with an open shock climbs like most other bikes locked out.

Morgan

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher View Post
    Word. DW-Link Sultan with an open shock climbs like most other bikes locked out.

Morgan
    I think the DW Sultan is a good pedaling machine but the VPP and CVA systems pedal just as well--if not better; However, you are completely right saying the DW bikes pedal well. A lot better pedaling bike than the old TNT and HL versions.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 09-24-2011 at 08:16 AM.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    As already mentioned , the stock RP23 w HV air can is just fine for general xc use and for the most part not bad for small jumps and stuff at least for me ! I rode my 09 DW Sultan with this shock mostly in the open position for nearly two seasons before switching it out with a PUSHed Monarch RT3 w standard air can ( smaller volume version ) ! I like the Monarch better especially when riding more aggressively ! Speaking of Ventana......I'm curious how the changed pivot placement on the new frames will effect the overall performance being I have owned a few V's including an 06 El Capitan ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Im a clyde at 6' 5" 250 rtr. I am running a XXL 2011 Sultan with about 240 lbs in my stock RP23 and have never bottomed it this year. I am getting about three quarter travel right now. I too was concerned, but after all summer I am going to lower the pressure to get full travel. Pro pedal is simply not necessary on the climbs with this DW link frame, and that is saying something for a guy my size. To be honest, I dont even think about the pro pedal switch anymore. BUT, I am not doing huge drops on it either. Nothing really over five feet for me anymore. I demoed just about everyt competing bike in the value range and for me, the Sultan was the clear winner. Delay no longer future Homer, buy the Sultan.

not so super...
    At 210 RTR I have no issues with the stock RP23. No wallow, no sinking and It is still quite plush. That said the CCDB air looks looks promising!
    Nothing to see here.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Thanks guys! I just put down the deposit for a 2011 XXL Sultan, needless to say I'm really excited

Now I have to figure out if I want a F34 or a Revelation...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Langden,

Enjoy! Turner bikes are gorgeous and will make you smile every mile for years to come...

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by langen View Post
    Thanks guys! I just put down the deposit for a 2011 XXL Sultan, needless to say I'm really excited

Now I have to figure out if I want a F34 or a Revelation...

Bwaaha , I couldn't resist.....I went for a XL 2011 DW Sultan on sale but not sure if it will replace my 09 Sultan or be an addition built different !

Speaking of forks , I'm in the same boat.......might include the White Brothers Loop 29er in the mix as well ! Performance , stiffness , and a reasonable price....Arrgh ! I wish there was a 29er fork shootout comparing these new offerings ! Or better yet maybe someone will buy a new Fox 34 and sell it a week later in desperation on fleabay ! TIG.