Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Any blowouts on the Czar yet?

Just wondering.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    They haven't gotten the first batch spot ship yet...

Are there deals on the 429 carbon, Ripley, Jet 9 RDO?

Buehler?

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure there is a website based in Indonesia that has a screaming deal on one. YMMV.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There's one on my local Craigslist for tree fiddy.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    There's one on my local Craigslist for tree fiddy.
    I saw that one it was a Tzar though. Silly craigslisters...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Czar rides so smoothly that I have not experienced "Any blowouts on the Czar, yet".

Both tires continue to reliably hold air.

I hope that answers your question, Jaybo.

Bwahahahaha!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Dave Turner would tell me he has a great deal on one for just shy of 3k

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Dave Turner would tell me he has a great deal on one for just shy of 3k
    So would Chris Cocalis, the dudes at Ibis, Santa Cruz, Trek, Niner and every other bike company...

Buy yours off of EBay in three years for a price that is closer to what you want to pay.

mtbr member
    Just wondering.
    Why are you looking for a Czar, Does your Niner blow?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    No my Niner doesn't blow at all which is really too bad as it would justify the cost. I am not really looking but just having a bit of fun. I am a Turner homer as their bikes have always done me well. My Niner has some weird sizing at my 5'11" size. The medium is a touch small and the large too big. I don't like internal cable routing either...

mtbr member
    Carbon Rockstar for $1600. May not be in the same category but at that price it's hard for me to ignore.

Disclaimer: I like the dw link but I don't have any issues with a well executed HL either.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yaw, no kidding and save $1,400 for some awesome parts.

Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Carbon Rockstar for $1600. May not be in the same category but at that price it's hard for me to ignore.

Disclaimer: I like the dw link but I don't have any issues with a well executed HL either.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Uhh El Guapo was like 999 and you still spent 2400 on the chilicotin...

Or something.

Carbon MTBs are a problem for us bargain hunters. I can't see buying a used carbon MTB. Used Aluminum frame from a company that covers the second owner like Turner or Ventana no problem. I assume the Turner warranty on the Czar and the other carbon Turner will be the same as the Aluminum frames. I hope.

Bobo

Still rocking the 26er and having fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Uhh El Guapo was like 999 and you still spent 2400 on the chilicotin...

Or something.

Carbon MTBs are a problem for us bargain hunters.
    Or something...

Yeah, I have my doubts about On One owned Titus. But, had the $899 (actually) EG's been available when I bought my used 5 Spot two years ago I would've had a hard time passing that up. Then there was the whole BB height fiasco so you gotta wonder about QC.

But still, saving $1400-1500 on a new full carbon FS 29er from a (once) rebuttable brand would be hard to ignore for this bargain hunter. Especially for a second bike.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Or something...

Yeah, I have my doubts about On One owned Titus. But, had the $899 (actually) EG's been available when I bought my used 5 Spot two years ago I would've had a hard time passing that up. Then there was the whole BB height fiasco so you gotta wonder about QC.

But still, saving $1400-1500 on a new full carbon FS 29er from a (once) rebuttable brand would be hard to ignore for this bargain hunter. Especially for a second bike.
    Interesting. I don't consider the El Guapo and 5 Spot to be similar bikes at all. For my riding style that is. I have similar concerns about the Titus stuff but the prices are attractive.

I wonder if the Czar will be too racy for guys on 6+ inch bikes. I think the Sultan is a better match. For me, I think the Sultan will be the same as my 5 spot but with bigger wheels. Hmmm that might be a good thing.

Time to ride.

Bob

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    [
    We all like Turner's. Breathe and let the flow of good Turner feelings invade your soul

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Turner is for non-technical now, which is czar _dw.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I don't consider the El Guapo and 5 Spot to be similar bikes at all. For my riding style that is. I have similar concerns about the Titus stuff but the prices are attractive.

I wonder if the Czar will be too racy for guys on 6+ inch bikes. I think the Sultan is a better match. For me, I think the Sultan will be the same as my 5 spot but with bigger wheels. Hmmm that might be a good thing.

Time to ride.

Bob
    I guess it's not exactly in same category but I wouldn't say they weren't similar at all. For instance my Spot was built up fairly burly with 160 coil fork and big tires and weighed 32 lbs. Craigstr over on the Titus board has an El Guapo built up at 27 lbs for XC and Super D racing.

For the kind of riding I do I can see them being fairly equivalent depending on the build.

I wonder the same thing about the Czar, but I think of the Sultan as being too much trail to really have a lot of separation from my Chilcotin. Maybe the Rockstar or Ripley would be a good compromise between the two. I suppose a light build Sultan would fit the bill too....or a light build Burner, or Sight Carbon Killer B, or..... so many options.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    I agree that others will find them similar. I find a ton of difference between a 140mm and 160mm rear end.

Build can do a lot to shape the "ride" of a bike. I never got comfortable with the RFX or either 5 spot with the FOX 36 on the front end. Just too "sluggish" for me.

I like "lightness" so the Czar has me interested. Gotta ride one first though. If there was a Carbon Burner... that would be real tempting. Also have to ride that one.

I have tried other 4 inch "racy" 29ers and they were just too "harsh" to me (Pivot 429 and Spec Epic). I wonder if the Czar will be similar. On the other hand, the 6+ inch bikes are too "spongy" (Pivot Firebird). 140mm is just right.

As you said. Too many bikes to try and not enough time to ride them all. I probably should just buy some Enve wheels and keep riding what I have.

Bobo

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I have tried other 4 inch "racy" 29ers and they were just too "harsh" to me (Pivot 429 and Spec Epic). I wonder if the Czar will be similar. On the other hand, the 6+ inch bikes are too "spongy" (Pivot Firebird). 140mm is just right.

As you said. Too many bikes to try and not enough time to ride them all. I probably should just buy some Enve wheels and keep riding what I have.

Bobo
    I've owned a 429 and an Epic and put in a few hours on the Czar and the Czar is the most trail friendly race bike of the three. It's as plush as you'd want out of 100mm of travel without bottoming it regularly, but still pedals like a good DW Link bike should.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    I've owned a 429 and an Epic and put in a few hours on the Czar and the Czar is the most trail friendly race bike of the three. It's as plush as you'd want out of 100mm of travel without bottoming it regularly, but still pedals like a good DW Link bike should.
    That is encouraging.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Completely agree (but have not owned the 429).

My wife and two of her small-sized friends want Czars in size small (perhaps that would be best equipped with this years media-darling 650B wheels?). There is definitely a market for shorter-travel bikes that are NOT harsh, race-only machines. She currently rides a DW Flux with a 650B front wheel, and it will take a LOT to pry that out of her hands!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

How diehard are you ?

Meh , just go on a PBJ sandwich diet for awhile and watch the fun money roll in !
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

Does it pedal as well the 429? Have you ever ridden a Jet 9 RDO? A recent Velo Magazine comparison said it is very plush they would not recommend it as a race bike. Can the same be said for the CZAR?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Does it pedal as well the 429? Have you ever ridden a Jet 9 RDO? A recent Velo Magazine comparison said it is very plush they would not recommend it as a race bike. Can the same be said for the CZAR?
    The Czar pedals at least as well as the aluminum 429 (especially with the XX1 1x11), with the benefit of noticeably less weight and more active DW Link kinematics (i.e. it works better pedaling through rough terrain). No experience on the Jet 9 RDO. As far as suitability for XC racing goes (coming from a mid-pack 45 yo Cat 2 XC race), the Czar beats you up less than a hardtail or an Epic and would be better on rough courses IMO. DT had a pro on one at Sea Otter and he was pretty happy with it. I'm hoping to do some longer races later this summer and Fall on the Czar. I think it will do really well for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast