mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Any 200 lbs plus guys riding a rfx tubeless??

I tried tubeless about five years ago but found the tire to feel ubber squirly especially on turns I just built up a set of flows and am thinking of giving it another shot I was thinking the rubber queen aka trail king as a lot of people claim the side wall to be pretty stout Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC
    I tried tubeless about five years ago but found the tire to feel ubber squirly especially on turns I just built up a set of flows and am thinking of giving it another shot I was thinking the rubber queen aka trail king as a lot of people claim the side wall to be pretty stout Any thoughts?

big JC - I had flows on my Sultan and have 819's on my RFX and run them both tubeless. I do find the 819's with tires that are wider than a true 2.35 do squirm a bit in technical chunk but I do not notice it on turns. Never felt "ubber squirly" with wide tires on the flows. I may end up with flows on my RFX..

mtbr member
    Never really thought about this too much, but now that you mention it, I used to run some old tires ghetto tubeless and I would burp them all the time. They would wash out on turns, etc...

Two bikes ago I got a ride with a little (not sure what width) High Roller on the back and a 2.35 High Roller on the front. The smaller one had a thinner sidewall and acted the same way. I ripped it the first day on a rock though so no extended time to evaluate. I got another 2.35 High Roller to put on the back and have never had problems with them washing out or burping. Could be the thicker sidewalls.

Also, experiment with different pressures in the tires. Big dudes don't need to run super low pressures like the skinny guys to get that big volume feel and traction advantage. Lower pressure is good, too low is bad.

By the way, I run all tires ghetto style. 200+ lbs with gear.

29 some of the time...
    So long as you run a UST tire and rim combo it is fairly stress free. Big guys need to apply appropriate pressure and avoid light weight tires (especially if the bike leaves the ground frequently).

Since you don't have a ust rim you are going to have to improvise. I would be looking for some dual ply 2.35 HR tires and run them tubeless A bit heavy, and slower rolling, but ubber traction and burly enough for a big guy going big.

The 2.4 TK/RQ or the 2.4 maxxis ardent both have thick sidewalls and can convert tubeless with minimal fuss. I have used the 2.4 ardent, but haven't run the RQ/TK 2.4 (only the 2.2 UST version). The WTB Prowler MX 2.3 and XT 2.3 also have decent sidewalls for tubeless conversion. They are lighter, but also lighter duty. More like a ust tire than a dual ply dh tire in terms of burliness.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.