mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any '06 DHX Air Stuck Down Problems Yet?

I'm just wondering if the stuck down problem has been resolved yet on the newer batch of '06 DHX Air's. I'm planning on getting a 5 Spot (phew, decision finally made!) and wonder if I may have potential problems with the shock.

Anyone?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    I'm just wondering if the stuck down problem has been resolved yet on the newer batch of '06 DHX Air's. I'm planning on getting a 5 Spot (phew, decision finally made!) and wonder if I may have potential problems with the shock.

Anyone?

You could have potential problems with any shock, obviously, but I've got an early '06 DHX-A (from June or so of '05) and and '05 RP3 and neither has developed the stuck down problem. Part of the solution is preventative maintenance. Before you start riding the shock deflate and open it up and look at the how much lube is in there. Perform the preventative maintenance that Tscheezy and others have posted about many times and you should be just fine. Its really nothing more than performing the air sleeve maintenace that is outlined in easy to follow steps in the Fox manual with the exception of spilling an extra few cc's of lube in there (I run a mix of Slick Honey and Float Fluid). If you buy the Float rebuild kit for $8 or so you get all the seals and bearings you need plus a pillow packet of Float Fluid. MK even posted the Fox part number a few weeks ago. Its a good idea to keep one of these kits on hand anyhow, especially if you travel at all with the bike.

I honestly wouldn't fret about it. Chances are good your shock will be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    You could have potential problems with any shock, obviously, but I've got an early '06 DHX-A (from June or so of '05) and and '05 RP3 and neither has developed the stuck down problem. Part of the solution is preventative maintenance. Before you start riding the shock deflate and open it up and look at the how much lube is in there. Perform the preventative maintenance that Tscheezy and others have posted about many times and you should be just fine. Its really nothing more than performing the air sleeve maintenace that is outlined in easy to follow steps in the Fox manual with the exception of spilling an extra few cc's of lube in there (I run a mix of Slick Honey and Float Fluid). If you buy the Float rebuild kit for $8 or so you get all the seals and bearings you need plus a pillow packet of Float Fluid. MK even posted the Fox part number a few weeks ago. Its a good idea to keep one of these kits on hand anyhow, especially if you travel at all with the bike.

I honestly wouldn't fret about it. Chances are good your shock will be fine.
    Actually the stuck down problem comes from the main O ring being too soft of a durometer, which allows air to bypass the O ring and get stuck in the lower part of the chamber thus creating a "negative" chamber, this allows air to get caught in the chamber and not release the shock to full travel. Fox had a small run of bad O rings in Nov.-Dec. of '05. As a matter of fact I just fixed the same problem on a DHX on a demo 6.6 of ours yesterday, some times it will happen first ride, sometimes it takes a pretty large impact to force the air past the O ring. It's a simple fix. Ride On- E2 eric@competitivecyclist.com

banned
    I found using lower viscosity oil, as in shock oil works. The theory I'm seeing is under fast impacts the more viscous lube creates a wedge between the seal and the wall, thus pushing it inward and bypassing air. Thinner lube won't create this problem, as I'm seeing with the very same seals that had caused a stuck down issue in the fall.