mtbr member

Another UK rider after advice

Hi hope you can help, I’ve been lurking around the turner forum and I’ve done a lot of searching recently, but still have unanswered questions.

I’m currently riding a pace rc100 and its being pushed to its limits, I’ve got my heart set on a turner and had pretty much choose the flux but can’t help wonder, should I get a spot instead, i reckon I’m not the first person to think this or will be the last. I was edging towards flux mainly due to the weight and the terrain I cover, also you’ve gotta go uphill to come down, that was my theory.

Sorry if any of my questions have be covered recently.

About 40% of my time is spent riding the 7 Stanes courses, Newcastleton and Glentress (XC, Downhill, drop off’s, North Shore. Hoping to expand to Mabie and Dalbeattie) 25% in Northumberland (XC), 25% in the Lake District (XC and Rocky descents) and 10% in Hamsterley Forest (XC). because the conditions are mixed, I’m not really sure which bike would be best suited, if anyone can offer advice and experiences, that would be great?

How much punishment can a flux take, can it handle the drop off’s at Glentress\Newcastleton with ease?

I’ve read that the flux bb is quite low, has anybody had problems with this?

I’m more than likely to be ordering from the US, I’ve been searching the forums about importing and a lot of people praise Larry at Mountain high Cycles for price and service. Any experiences of this would be helpful.

Does anybody know if the import duties are affected by ordering just a frame or complete bike?

I still need to check out the frame sizing in the UK, looking at the Roundell advert in magazines; the closet dealer to Newcastle is in the Lakes, does anybody know different. Also I need to test ride both but I’m looking to hear about your experiences.

Thanks Dudes for your help.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Good job! Go on, you know you want to

toons101,

You'll find Pete Psychlosport is a Turner dealer just down the road in Harrogate. He's likely to organise a tip-top demo ride for, guided around their local haunts. His demo bike is a medium 5Spot and from your trails I'd say it'd be perfect (but I'm a biased 5S owner). My recently acquired steed has taken Afan in it's stride.

As I understand it, UK import duty is 4.5% on frame, fork 'n' components and 15% for a fully built bike. Duty is calc'd on the converted value incl'g shipping, and VAT on everything. Grrr.

Good luck,
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farqui
    toons101,

You'll find Pete Psychlosport is a Turner dealer just down the road in Harrogate. He's likely to organise a tip-top demo ride for, guided around their local haunts. His demo bike is a medium 5Spot and from your trails I'd say it'd be perfect (but I'm a biased 5S owner). My recently acquired steed has taken Afan in it's stride.

As I understand it, UK import duty is 4.5% on frame, fork 'n' components and 15% for a fully built bike. Duty is calc'd on the converted value incl'g shipping, and VAT on everything. Grrr.

Good luck,
    Thanks Dude, you've just saved me some travelling time.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Smile I'm glad to help

Quote Originally Posted by toons101
    Thanks Dude, you've just saved me some travelling time.
    You're welcome. Pete's a top bloke and will get you on track. A few wks ago he had a gorgeous Flux for sale (a customer had let him down) which we might have had if the misses hadn't already just acquired a new steed. He may even have a Flux rider in his mid wk & wk end rides, fingers crossed. Mention a geezer building a Stratos and he'll twig who passed ya along.

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Go for the Spot,ihave a spot and also had a burner but after fitting a rp3 shock on the spot the burner just never got used.I have tested the flux,nice bike but the spot is more fun to ride and my bike is about 27lb and stands up to Lakes rides.
    Test both but i bet you go for the Spot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink
    Go for the Spot,ihave a spot and also had a burner but after fitting a rp3 shock on the spot the burner just never got used.I have tested the flux,nice bike but the spot is more fun to ride and my bike is about 27lb and stands up to Lakes rides.
    Test both but i bet you go for the Spot!
    Mr Pink, I've checked the spot database and can't see your spec, any chance you could PM it?

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

5Spot adjustment

Incidentally, my Spot is a little different from the setup db these days and comes in at something like 25.5lbs (on new elec fishing scales) with the carbon RC41 and some fast rolling 1.8 Trailblasters ( no pedals ! ). It's fast. This configuration served me well on a recent Ridgeway ride but those tyres have gotta go now that it's getting damp I'm also looking forward to getting the Nixon back on 'cos I think it's a slightly more of an all rounder than the Pace.

I guess what I'm tying to say is that the Spot is going to be versatile than a Flux.

mtbr member
    Toons 101,e-mail me at delboybolton@hotmail.com.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Another 5 Spot owner here, built by Pete @ Harrogate. I ride in the Dales Lakes, 7 Stanes etc, and this bike just eats it up. Spec as follows

Large 05 spot with RP3
    Thompson stem and post
    Mavic XC 717 rims
    Hope hubs
    Pace RC41 forks
    Hope mono m4 180 front 160 rear
    Answer pro-taper carbon bars
    XTR front and rear mechs
    XT cass
    Raceface Turbine cranks
    Raceface signature bottom bracket
    Hope headset
    XT shifters
    Goodridge brake hoses
    WTB titanium rocket saddle
    Shimano 959 pedals
    Hope titanium skewers
    Hope seat clamp

Cant sing this bikes praises enough also Pete top bloke will sort out any problems etc. Buy one go on.

mtbr member
    25.5 lb that is light, would like to see your current spec, I've been playing around with the build calculators on couple of sites. How do you find the pace forks, I've always found they need bit more TLC than other makes, is that still the case?

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Good job! RC41 works just fine

5Spot spec update to "light weight" spec, but still an all day / all terrain ride - if you can handle sketchy tyres

Frame Size: Medium - 5 Spot
    * Frame Year: 2005
    * Frame Colour (PC/Ano): Silver
    * Shock: Fox RP3
    * Fork: Pace RC41 (air, QR, bossless, black, carbon)
    * Brakes: Hope Mono M4 (180/180mm)
    * Brake Levers: as above (std Hope lines)
    * Cranks: Shimano XT Hollowtech II (175mm)
    * Shifters: SRAM X.9
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XT (FD-M761, down swing)
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9 (long)
    * Chain: SRAM PC-59
    * Pedals: Time ATAC Alium
    * Stem: Thomson (100mm x 5, black)
    * Handlebar: MaxM MX-5 riser (carbon, 1" x 26", black/blue/silver)
    * Seat post: Thomson Elite (straight 410mm x 27.2mm, black)
    * Seat post Collar: Salsa Flip Lock (black, 32mm)
    * Saddle: WTB Shadow V Stealth (Ti)
    * Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT Hollowtech II
    * Cassette: Shimano XT (CS-M760, 11-32)
    * Headset: Chris King (blue)
    * Grips: Odi Speed
    * Tyres: Trailblasters (1.8, kevlar, blue)
    * Tubes: Slime jobbies
    * Hubs/Skewers: Chris King ISO Disc (blue) / Hope QR (blue, steel)
    * Rims: DT x4.1d
    *** Build Weight: 25.5lbs (no Pedals)

Chaning to the Nixon Super & 2.1 XC Fire's add's approx 1.5lbs.

Even at a "portly" (hehe) 28lbs it rides light and I love the ChrisKing rear hub with it's immediate pickup and buzzy bee freewheel. I'd just like to mention that I'm not a weight weenie and that I'm pleasantly surprised how easy it is to lift over styles.

I've had zero problems or maintenance tasks with the Pace and clocked well over 50hrs on it. I find the lock-down feature handy although not essential as the Spot climbs so darn well. I understand that a change to the seals has resolve early problems and they also now use a different lube which also helps. Servicing looks fairly easy too.

mtbr member
    I am riding Newcastleton tonight.
    If you want to try a medium 5Spot, meeting at 7PM for a ride with the guy's from Bikemagic and Ride on, give us a shout if you want have a go.
    The riding you are talking about is exactly what the 5 Spot loves,Perfect for the riding you describe.

Just give me hardpack

5 spot

5 spot if you're just riding - more fun at all of above areas. Flux if you're racing/marathoning primarily

mtbr member
    Toon101,

I live in Durham, and i bought mine from Wheelbase in Kendal, very good service indeed.
    I been riding a large flux around Coed,Afan,Glentress,Yorkshire Dales and all the bits in between.
    Very much the XC/long epic riding and its the dogs danglies,i do not do any of the drop stuff, maybe a 5spot would be better for that,there have been a few snapped seat tubes on the Fluxes.
    Westbrook Cycles in Stokesly are dealers also.
    Chris at roundell is a top bloke he would help you no end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    I am riding Newcastleton tonight.
    If you want to try a medium 5Spot, meeting at 7PM for a ride with the guy's from Bikemagic and Ride on, give us a shout if you want have a go.
    The riding you are talking about is exactly what the 5 Spot loves,Perfect for the riding you describe.
    Thanks for the offer dude, 'ive only just read your post!

Stokesly thats even closer, thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Jamie_MTB; 10-06-2005 at 01:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Got to be a 5 Spot - previously rode an S-works FSR and always worried it would not take much abuse, like the Flux aimed at xc racing I suspect. Have not noticed any difference in my ability to get up hills, it just works well. Mine weighs 31lb on Fisherman's scales, so mightily impressed by 25lb, Farqui - starting to wonder where the extra 6lb is on mine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uphilla
    Got to be a 5 Spot - previously rode an S-works FSR and always worried it would not take much abuse, like the Flux aimed at xc racing I suspect. Have not noticed any difference in my ability to get up hills, it just works well. Mine weighs 31lb on Fisherman's scales, so mightily impressed by 25lb, Farqui - starting to wonder where the extra 6lb is on mine
    Think your right, none of my LBS have flux's to test and I just love those drop off's on the 7 stanes courses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My RC41s lasted six weeks, still awaiting their return...