Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Another One Bites the Dust

Sperky is out. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post1648818

I suspect more riders make the switch from Turners to a full suspension 29"er (of which there are all of a half dozen or so on the market) than to any one brand of 26" full suspension bikes. This is what your competition looks like these days Dave, let's hurry up and stop the bleeding!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Work Shed...
    I'm staying with my 29er hardtail till DT gives me a fully...
    I want one now =\
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootberry
    I'm staying with my 29er hardtail till DT gives me a fully...
    I want one now =\
    Ditto and ditto. It gets harder every day though.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Work Shed...
    Do you already have a turner? If so, it's not nearly as hard for you as it is for me!! I was saving for a 5spot for 6 months, then I decided to do an archaeology field school this summer- so no riding from may-august! So I took the money I had saved and bought a 29er hardtail so I could get in as much riding b/t now and may.. I'm kinda glad I did, so now my first FS will be a Turner AND a 29er.. Maybe if I mail Dave Turner a ziploc bag filled with tears he'll make one just for me =)

mtbr member
    Do you already have a turner?
    Nope. I have two.

Sorry, that was mean. Tough decision you had there, but I imagine yours was the correct one in the end, if a bit hard to stomach for now. Too bad you can't take a bike with you though.

I honestly think more about my Turner when I'm on 29" wheels than the other way around. I'm usually quite happy with the performance of my Spot/Flux, but when I'm on my 29"er hardtail I can't help but wonder "What if I had these big wheels to gobble up the rough stuff, and four or five inches of suspension?". I suppose that doesn't make you feel any better though.

Work Shed...
    I think I'll make it in the end. I did see that 'dave says 29ers a definate yes' or something like that. I really hope a 4-5" will come out before I break all the parts on my bike. The bigger wheels have permitted me to really push myself in all aspects of my riding. BTW, If you ever want to give away that flux though, I'd gladly take it off your hands..

No, that's not phonetic
    I have a 29er too, but I don't see much overlap between it and our shed full of Turners.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    Woah! Did you get that from another homer? Bob? AKC?
    I'd swear Surly made one of those things and folks are passin it around like a spliff.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I'd swear Surly made one of those things and folks are passin it around like a spliff.

Hilarious.

Work Shed...
    I know there's not much overlap. Ive wanted a turner for a long time, but now Id like one with the chubby wheels. Besides, everyone needs a bike that allows them to go WAY faster than they should ever go.. btw tscheezy, I've always wanted to go to Alaska and really enjoy all your photos =)

Toby Wong?

Bwa!

Maybe if I mail Dave Turner a ziploc bag filled with tears he'll make one just for me =)
    that's so sweet. really.

no, really.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

No, that's not phonetic
    Anyone who sells their super-balanced Turner to buy that 74-degree head-angle Intense... well, all I can say is, good riddance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Anyone who sells their super-balanced Turner to buy that 74-degree head-angle Intense... well, all I can say is, good riddance.
    Well, it's not like tire clearance with the VPP design should be an issue, for the time being anyway. Plus, I have it on pretty good authority (Instant Obsolescence - Intense Spider 29) that the Spider makes all other bikes obsolete.

As far as overlap, I don't think there would be much overlap between a light 29" Flux and your Spot & Pack either.

Living the Dream

Do you really ride faster with them?

Besides, everyone needs a bike that allows them to go WAY faster than they should ever go
    I understand the rolling over obastacles part, but I've heard mixed reviews from folks that ride them. I have a TI Single Speed 26er, but I am very interested in a Desalvo 29er.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

No, that's not phonetic
    They do transition over obstacles more easily than smaller wheeled bikes. Imagine riding down the trail on a bike with tiny wheels. They'd get hung up on every root. That's what the larger wheels fix. I don't buy any of the larger contact patch or gyroscopic stabilizing arguments, but they do "roll well". And if the bike is properly designed it does not end up feeling sluggish or like a clown bike.

If you like hard tails or shorter travel rigs, they are worth looking into. If you like long travel bikes, 29er does not have a lot to offer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sperky here. I've been eyeing the Asylum 29er for awhile. Being a tall guy with long legs and short torso the 29er really made sense to me. Plus I do a lot of endurance riding (no hucking) so was ready for a dramatic change. Don't get me wrong....the Burner is an awesome bike and had Turner come along with their 29er sooner I'd would have probably considered one of those. But with not even a prototype to see I figured the wait would be too long. The Asylum is basically a Titus 29er and although I haven't had a lot of riding on it I can tell it fits just a little better, in large part to the fact the handlebars sit much higher, so now I'm not so hunched over.

So am I still allowed to get Homer advice from you guys?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

26" vs. 29" for racing

There is a very interesting thread on the Endurance Racing Board discussing the efficiency of a 26" race bike vs. a 29" race bike. For anyone interested, here is the link:

29er vs 26er efficiency

I have to give hairball_dh a lot of credit for making a solid effort to find out which bike is fastest for him. The key here is which bike HE is faster on. He took 26" and 29" similarly equipped bikes, both with PowerTaps, to the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo and raced both of them during the event. The 26" bike proved faster.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    So am I still allowed to get Homer advice from you guys?!
    Sure, if you don't mind a canard as advice. Only Homers get the straight scoop.

BTW- PPA (Pocket Protector Alert)!!

Living the Dream

Thanks. I really do prefer long travel bikes, however

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    If you like hard tails or shorter travel rigs, they are worth looking into. If you like long travel bikes, 29er does not have a lot to offer.
    the government has my family and me hostage in south texas for a couple of more years, and my single speed is a little better suited to most of the terrain than my 5 Pack. I'm from the bay area and I've lived in Alaska, Tucson, and now here, so the singlespeed is just for the local flat/hilly trails. The Pack accompanies me back to Norcal, Arizona, and Utah.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    hey cheese. i was goin through this thread and noticed yer comment on the head angle of the intense. i totally agree it looks wacky as hell and i dont profess to understand exactly why it not only is prefered on the big wheeled bikes but seems to work well accordin to a hefty handfull of pals and custys who ride them. maybe aqua, jj or others can pipe in and explain some. sure does look nasty though doesnt it?
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Yeah, I like the 74 degree HA on by big-wheeled bike. Oh, yeah, it's a ROAD BIKE.

Seriously though, the Pugsley is at 68 deg now with the SC32 fork (with very little sag) and it rides waaaay nicer than it did with the shorter rigid Surly fork @70 deg, and I am going to put a 4mm Ventana King crown on too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    ..and my single speed is a little better suited to most of the terrain than my 5 Pack...
    ...just curious about your thoughts in regards to the 5 Pack....you diggin?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i understand ya here i think but even though the outside tire dia must be close to the same, is it really a fair comparison? takin into account the lower tire psi, the huge tire size and how the size will dramaticly change geo when compressed front to rear. im not sure of the rest of the static geo but ill guess its not all that close. also theres the intent of both bikes which are pretty different. not baggin on ya at all, just thinkin theres more than one way to look at this plus im interested.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    CC, yer graspin' at straws there, boy. Yes the overall tire diameter is the same. The contact patch is bigger and the pressures lower, but you don't see-saw back and forth on jello rubber. In fact, even at low pressures they ride very firmly. The geometries are directly applicable. 74 is still terrifying any way you slice it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast