Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11

    Another New 5 Spot Story

    I have been able to ride my new 5 spot twice since I got her last friday. I live in socal and ride long single track that you must first ride up before you can fly down. I am coming off a blur which I like very much but wanted more of an all mountain bike that would allow me more freedom on the way down. The blur rides up hill very well and I was worried that the 5 spot would be a dog going up. I don't weigh very much so i outfitted the 5 spot with strong but light components. The bike weighs 27.5 pounds with pedals which is only 1.5 pound heavier than my blur.

    04 17'' silver 5 spot frame
    04 xtr disc group.
    04 fox vanilla 125 rlc fork
    romic shock
    thompson seat post and stem
    easton mokey lite bars
    959 pedals
    wtb laser v ti saddle
    cross max rims and tubeless tires

    WOW, the 5 spot rips up hills. On my blur I liked to climb out of the saddle but on the 5 spot i put her in a lower gear and stay seated. I end up getting to the top in the same time. The only difference is that i feel more relaxed on the 5 spot. I get to the top with more energy. The 5 spot also stays tracked to the ground better so I can climb up very steep and rocky sections with realitive ease.

    On the way down there is no comparision. The 5 spot is the best single track bike I have ever riden. It wants to rip down the single track. The 5 spot holds its line to perfection.The most obvious thing I noticed was the 69 degree head tube angle compared to the 71 on the blur. The 5 spot allows me to go places and over things that I would have never considered before. The vanilla and the romic work in perfect harmony. It is a pleasure to ride.

    I had high expectations reading all these reviews and it is rare when something meets them. The 5 spot was able to do that and then some.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,954
    Thats a really nice, sensible build. Very light but without compomising strength, ride quality or durability to save any extra weight.

    Nice bike, enjoy!!!!!

  3. #3
    Baked Alaskan
    Reputation: AK Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,813
    Sweet build, the 5 goes up and down better than anything I've ever ridden. Some say it B.S., then they ride it and are totally blown away. It funny to read people say it can't be better than... (fill in the blank), then to ride it and say the kinds of things you say. Enjoy the ride. I know I do.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    917

    SilverSurfer!

    nice! that is a great color combination!
    would you mind posting your blur setup?

    thanks,

    -Sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    I have been able to ride my new 5 spot twice since I got her last friday. I live in socal and ride long single track that you must first ride up before you can fly down. I am coming off a blur which I like very much but wanted more of an all mountain bike that would allow me more freedom on the way down. The blur rides up hill very well and I was worried that the 5 spot would be a dog going up. I don't weigh very much so i outfitted the 5 spot with strong but light components. The bike weighs 27.5 pounds with pedals which is only 1.5 pound heavier than my blur.

    04 17'' silver 5 spot frame
    04 xtr disc group.
    04 fox vanilla 125 rlc fork
    romic shock
    thompson seat post and stem
    easton mokey lite bars
    959 pedals
    wtb laser v ti saddle
    cross max rims and tubeless tires

    WOW, the 5 spot rips up hills. On my blur I liked to climb out of the saddle but on the 5 spot i put her in a lower gear and stay seated. I end up getting to the top in the same time. The only difference is that i feel more relaxed on the 5 spot. I get to the top with more energy. The 5 spot also stays tracked to the ground better so I can climb up very steep and rocky sections with realitive ease.

    On the way down there is no comparision. The 5 spot is the best single track bike I have ever riden. It wants to rip down the single track. The 5 spot holds its line to perfection.The most obvious thing I noticed was the 69 degree head tube angle compared to the 71 on the blur. The 5 spot allows me to go places and over things that I would have never considered before. The vanilla and the romic work in perfect harmony. It is a pleasure to ride.

    I had high expectations reading all these reviews and it is rare when something meets them. The 5 spot was able to do that and then some.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11

    Blur set up

    my blur has the following set up

    03 18'' citrus ano blur frame
    02 xtr group
    marzocchi marathon sl fork
    fox ava shock
    easton ct2 bars and seat post
    easton ea70 stem
    race face next lp cranks and ti isis BB
    hayes disc brakes
    cross max rims and tubeless tires

    I debated posting a pic of my blur in the turner forum but since my blur is going to be collecting dust for the next few months i thought why not honor it, so here it is. This shot is of bootleg canyon near lost wages. it is fun but not has good as the trails we have behind the orange curtain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,135
    Sweet rides both!


    Glad you're enjoying you 'Spot...I agree with AK, folks have been raving about how the 5 hits the "Spot"... and it was difficult to understand until one had some trail time on it.

    Curious what's your opinion of the differences between the two sets of X-Max wheels. What was it like going from the XL's to the lighter X-Max set?

    BTW very nice shots of both bikes...and I'd kill for a plush lawn like that!

    Cheers Gears and Beers!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  7. #7
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    The bike weighs 27.5 pounds with pedals.

    I had high expectations reading all these reviews and it is rare when something meets them. The 5 spot was able to do that and then some.
    First off, how do you people get your Spots so light? I thought I had a pretty modest build and mine is 32. I think going to the Maverick fork and 3-Way Air will get me down around 29-30. That said, I've been beating mine like a rented step-child for almost 1,000 miles here in Utah so far and not a squeak of complaint so far. Very nice. I have even achieved "flow" on a few rides. It's been great. I have taken over 600 pics and I'll do a post of the trip when I get home and work it all up.

    See ya'll,
    tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    377
    I think some people's scales are little on the 'light' side. I've got a Large 5 Spot with a Talas, XTR, some decent wheels, 2.3 conti's, etc and it's almost 29. And that's what I expected since my Superlight with the same parts was almost 28.

    I simply don't believe some of the numbers I see posted...

  9. #9
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,530

    An excellent book....

    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    First off, how do you people get your Spots so light? I thought I had a pretty modest build and mine is 32. I think going to the Maverick fork and 3-Way Air will get me down around 29-30. That said, I've been beating mine like a rented step-child for almost 1,000 miles here in Utah so far and not a squeak of complaint so far. Very nice. I have even achieved "flow" on a few rides. It's been great. I have taken over 600 pics and I'll do a post of the trip when I get home and work it all up.

    See ya'll,
    tscheezy
    I read the book Flow in graduate school. Tough read, but the notion of Flow is a real paradigm shift in thinking. I got into a state of flow today on my ride. The art of true pleasure. Very nice. Then, I ran into a younger rendition of Rachel Welch on the trail and it went all to hell. Laugh.

    Jaybo

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11

    had to check it out

    I just got back from my LBS where i had to find the true weight of my bikes. We found the 5 spot to be 28 pounds11 ounces, or 28.6875 pounds. That was with pedals and stans in the tires. When i spec'ed the bike it came in at 27.4 pounds and my "trustworthy" bathroom scale put her a hair under 28. My blur was 27 pounds 7 ounces or 27.4375 pounds. The good news is that my road bike dropped from what i thought was 18 pounds to 17 pounds 10 ounces or 17.625 pounds. The really bad news is that i went from 152 to 156 pounds and my wife well lets just say she liked the scale the way it was before. I live and learn

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    512

    Hello...

    that VPP crap can just move on. It will be ancient history in a couple of years anyway. Last time I cheked, this is the Turner forum. Next, let's talk about flow. Ya' know, it's like that first bite of a jelly donut when the jelly squirts out and you feel something wet and sloppy all over your face (minds out of the gutter boys). I'm talkin' ooeeey, goooeeey jelly donuts. Once you've felt it, you can't go back. Just ask Homer. Mmmmmmm, donuts. Call it the flow, the zone, whatever... there's just nothing like it. Capture it, put it in a bottle, and your set for life. Keep smilin' folks.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    917

    sorry to get your Turner Panties (TP) in a bunch...

    was just asking for comparative sake....Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

    -Sp

    Quote Originally Posted by casey
    that VPP crap can just move on. It will be ancient history in a couple of years anyway. Last time I cheked, this is the Turner forum.

Similar Threads

  1. Romic or Swinger 4way coil for 5 Spot
    By Alpenglow in forum Turner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 06:20 PM
  2. Owned 5 Spot and Maverick? If so, I have questions.
    By Count Zero in forum Maverick
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 09:14 AM
  3. question for small 5 Spot owners
    By Uzzi in forum Turner
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 07:33 AM
  4. 5 Spot - first ride, some thoughts
    By cooldaddy in forum Turner
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 11:09 AM
  5. finally appreciating the 5 Spot
    By Duncan in forum Turner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •