nocturnal oblivion

Another headset question

Can an internal upper CC cup be swapped on the frame with an external lower CC cup if you have an 1 1/8 reducer plate? Or are the bearings different sizes?
    Point being to have adjustable geometry via the headset cups...Any way to go about it?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am assuming you are talking about a bike with a 44mm headtube. The upper cup is not dependant on the crown race of the fork. But yes you can run internal upper cup, and external lower cup and a 1 1/8 steerer tube buy using Cane Creek's adaptor crown race.

What setup are you currently running?

nocturnal oblivion
    It's a 2012 5 Spot. So can you run the external on top and the internal on the bottom (and vice versa). I assume two crown races would be needed, given a 1 1/8 steerer?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    It's a 2012 5 Spot. So can you run the external on top and the internal on the bottom (and vice versa). I assume two crown races would be needed, given a 1 1/8 steerer?
    I'm not sure about external up top, as I have no idea if cane creek makes an adaptor top race.

I just ordered a 5 spot and had turner put an internal upper and external lower in, and am using the crown race adaptor for a 1 1/8 fork.

If you want to steepen the head tube angle and lower the bottom bracket get an internal lower cup, bearings and a normal crown race and leave the upper cup alone.