mtbr member

Another DHX Air Question

I just finished building my new Spot, and was looking for a good baseline for my shock setup. I searched the other threads, and found a lot of variance in setups. Are you guys still running what you have posted in the past, or have you refined the settings more?
    I weigh 185-190 w/o gear. It looks like most are running 90-100 percent of BW in the main. Do you just add air to the main chamber till you get 25-30 percent sag or so? What about boost?

Thanks.

Outcast
    I'm still running 90 to 100% of body weight, as you have stated, how I've set up my boost valve has changed a little since I got the shock late july. Currently, I have the chamber turned half the way in, and I put 150 psi in it, which turns out to be 130 psi, due to the loss from disconnecting the pump. I gave up trying to use sag as a gage for proper spring rate; I'm going by "the seat of my pants" measurement instead.

My shock is on an RFX, but with rockers that approximate 5 spot leverage ratios more than rfx/pack ratios.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    I just finished building my new Spot, and was looking for a good baseline for my shock setup. I searched the other threads, and found a lot of variance in setups. Are you guys still running what you have posted in the past, or have you refined the settings more?
    I weigh 185-190 w/o gear. It looks like most are running 90-100 percent of BW in the main. Do you just add air to the main chamber till you get 25-30 percent sag or so? What about boost?

Thanks.
    Hey, I also weigh 185-190 w/o gear and my DHX Air is set up as follows: 190 main chamber (gives me 25%) sag, 170 in the BV, 3 Clicks Rebound from Full Fast (Note: Full Fast is Counter Clockwise looking down on the air valve side as noted in manual), Running Least amt. of bottom out resistance (3rd. bottom line) and 4-5 Clicks of ProPedal.

The 170 in the BV may seem like a lot but it works fine for me. I'm also going to try moving the bottom out adjustment to the Middle (More bottom out resistance) today. I have noticed that on tight, slow, somewhat winding singletrack that my O Ring is pretty far down.
    I've also experinced that sluggishness (wallow) described in other posts during this kind of riding. In fact, it's exactly as Darren (Push Indrustries) and others have described. This is the only time I wonder about the Push RP3. Alright, I'm going off here. Sorry!

Silence and Thunder...
    Ahhh...the love/hate of all that adjustment! I also weigh 185-190 and have a large spot. I've been trying the full range of settings and agree w/ most of the 'standards'.
    One important thing to remember about this shock - just a few psi can make a lot of difference in the feel.
    Be sure to start w/ the main (sag) pressure and get it balanced w/ your fork. Then as you try different settings elsewhere on the shock, you may need to re-adjust the main a bit.
    You can take measurements all day long, but it boils down to how it rides. Take some time and try lots of different settings. Take notes. See what 'feels' good to you.

btw- So far, for a 'plush' ride, I'm using 180 main ; 80 boost ; bottom out full open ; rebound almost full slow and very little PP.
    For a little firmer ride I go 200 main and 100 boost.

I'm still playing with it though... I think many people get frustrated with the complexity of it, but I know there's magic in there somewhere...
    ...every day sends future to past...

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Not a "set and forget" shock

One thing that is important to consider is that the DHX-a (or coil, for that matter), is not a "set and forget" type of shock. If you ride a variety of different trails you'll reap the most benefits out of the DHX if you adjust the pressures and damping adjustments accordingly.

If you prefer to find a happy medium, and leave it, that is fine. However, you'll be short changing yourself on how that shock behaves.

Carrying a shock pump with you is a must, if you want to get the most out of this shock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    One thing that is important to consider is that the DHX-a (or coil, for that matter), is not a "set and forget" type of shock. If you ride a variety of different trails you'll reap the most benefits out of the DHX if you adjust the pressures and damping adjustments accordingly.
    I second that. I said that once here on the Turner forum and was, uh, corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    Be sure to start w/ the main (sag) pressure and get it balanced w/ your fork.

Take notes.
    Again, excellent advice, IMO. Getting the most out of this shock means getting it working well with your fork (which should always be the case). And because the setup variables are endless keeping track of settings by writing them down and taking notes about the good and the bad was helpful for me.

My current setting on a Spot:

Main (95% of body weight) 200psi
    BV 125psi
    BO 2 1/8th turned in
    PP 4 clicks from open
    RB 4 clicks from full fast

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

What I found thanks to everyones help...

Howdy,

I have been going through the same set up trials and errors. From some good advice, I finally figured out that 30% sag provides a smooth ride, up the boost until you do not bottom out. Rebound 2-4 from full slow, 3 from open on PP. As Clyde S Dale has mentioned, all pumps are different, I am a firm believer in that now. I weigh 185 w/o gear, and according to my pump, my main is at 160psi. Point being...go with what feels good.

My faith n the DHX-a is slowly being restored........

RT

mtbr member

Thanks!

I set it up with 190 main, 140 boost, 4 clicks of PP, and 4 clicks from full fast. It feels pretty good, but the front end is softer (marz am1). I'll probably work at softening up the rear a bit to match it with the front, as the fork feels friggin amazing!

Coming from a burner, this bike feels much taller, but not uncomfortably so. It sucks, but I can't take it to the trails until Saturday to try it out.

Thanks Again,
    Ken