mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Another day at...er, away from the office

Warning: warm temps, dry trail content. The day started with an auspicious sunrise complete with anti-crepuscular rays to the west, then warmed up then got better.

I started with a trail near where S-Works takes pics of his stoke (he's at Hall, I went to Picture Rock, about 2 miles away). Warm, dry...when I got back I realized that I hadn't thought about my shoulder. The last time I rode PR (months ago) I winced with every rocky jolt. I must be getting better! PR connects the town of Lyons with Heil, a Homer-approved rockfest a few miles south of Lyons. Months of work was spent berming up some switchbacks at Picture Rock as well as cutting in new trail.

Then I drove down south of Boulder to the trailhead for Spring Brook, a new edition to the area for bikers/hikers. It's closer to the foothills than PR with lots of trees. Spring Brook is an addition to an extensive set of trails near Boulder. Not gnar but a possible 20 miles of riding after dinner from home if you live nearby.

An extended stretch of cold temps and snow is coming in tomorrow, so back to normal. It was great while it lasted.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    nice pics - they really live up to your screen name.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    nice pics - they really live up to your screen name.
    That was quick. I'll let the rest of the Turner Forum post up pics of drops and gnar. Somebody's got to post pics of easy riding and I guess that's me!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

ride
    Wilks, the nice thing about riding around here is that you can ride Picture Rock (xcguys 2, 3, 4) and Hall Ranch (ala Sworks post) on the same ride. Picture Rock is also part of another system where it's sharp rocks galore, kind of a combo between the two. Not bad for a bike ride from the shop here Both trails are about 5 minutes away by bike.

Good pics, XCguy. I keep meaning to take the SS down to South Boulder, but it snows every time I can make it.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Very beautiful pics there XCGuy and thanks for sharing...makes me jelous at the moment with a busted knee. But, also looking at the pics allows my imagination to roam a bit more than usual so thanks for the inspiration mate.

Just watch out for your shadow though next time when your snapping some exellent pics. Enjoy the next Roam-Session.

Expert Crasher
    That looks like excellent rigid SS riding.

I'd be unemployed if there were trails like that near my house....
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    That was quick. I'll let the rest of the Turner Forum post up pics of drops and gnar. Somebody's got to post pics of easy riding and I guess that's me!
    I didn't mean it in a negative way at all....I would love to have a trail or two like that at my disposal locally....my flux would get ridden more frequently!

mtbr member
    ...you brought a thermometer with you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I brought the thermometer for CactusCorns's sake

There are plenty of rocky steep trails all around the Front Range and I used to ride them exclusively. About 4 years ago I started thinking maybe I'd like to just ride something easy some day instead of the usual rocky straight up climb (like I liked to do but I'm just sayin'...) So I started looking around and instead of Chimney Gulch I started riding Alderfer (near Evergreen). Then Lair of The Bear (local riders know what I'm talking about). Picture Rock, Spring Brook, Doudy Draw, Hall Ranch and other surrounding trails are entertaining enough for me now. I've been injured a lot in the last two years and these are rides that let me put the rubber side down without much risk.

There's something to be said for just pedaling, going forward, being on the bike while coming back from an injury. Most of you will come back and seek out the tough rides again but maybe I'm through with them. I'll still be riding beautiful local trails though.

Team Blindspot
    Nice pics XCG

Working thru the weekend, so there won't be another shot at CC until middle of next week.. Only looks like it will be pushing the 50's. But I will do my best to get a few rides.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Wilks, the nice thing about riding around here is that you can ride Picture Rock (xcguys 2, 3, 4) and Hall Ranch (ala Sworks post) on the same ride. Picture Rock is also part of another system where it's sharp rocks galore, kind of a combo between the two. Not bad for a bike ride from the shop here Both trails are about 5 minutes away by bike.

Good pics, XCguy. I keep meaning to take the SS down to South Boulder, but it snows every time I can make it.
    ignazjr was referring to Heil (sharp rocks galore). A guy on the Front Range Forum just posted up this vid of descending part of Heil. Check it out:

http://29ercrew.com/jhilimire/01/23/1155/

You can also check out his Hall video as well a Picture Rock vid although maybe it'd be better to wait for a new version that has his helmet cam properly situated.